Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a very faint noise coming from somewhere on the driver's side interior. (Best thing I can liken it to is a faint geiger counter sound.) It's only present with the vehicle is moving, but can appear at very low speeds and doesn't seem to scale with speed. Dealer thought maybe it was something loose in the steering column, but the part they changed out apparently didn't do the trick so they're now trying something else.

It's now been 3 days of diagnosing, waiting for parts, rinse and repeat.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I'd love some thoughts on what might be causing it, since the dealer seems to be struggling....

· Registered
2,795 Posts
Is it under the steering wheel? I had that and it’s ariund where the steering column goes through the firewall. There is a topixs on that fix I believe.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tough to tell exactly where the sound is coming from, but yes, the steering column is a possibility. That's where the dealer seems to be focusing, and they are onto their 2nd part replacement. Maybe they've found and read the Topixs report....

· Registered
40 Posts
It could also be one of the following 3 - all of which troubled me and were resulting in clicking or creaking sounds :
1. Headliner rubbing against the panoramic moonroof guides (felt pads is the solution)
2. Driver's window mech needs tightening (dropping the window a quarter inch whilst in motion will cause the noise to cease)
3. Trim on top of the driver's door which holds the window buttons - needed re-fixing as this was also creaking.

· Registered
184 Posts
Yes, we get this sound especially when it's warm outside. We're taking the car in (for a host of issues) and this is one of them. Of course, it's not 100% reproducible; and to use it sounds like it's coming from the window of the drivers side door; though it's really hard to pin point it.

I'll print out and give them a copy of VTBRIT post so perhaps they'll have a place to start.

· Registered
2 Posts
I've got a very faint noise coming from somewhere on the driver's side interior. (Best thing I can liken it to is a faint geiger counter sound.) It's only present with the vehicle is moving, but can appear at very low speeds and doesn't seem to scale with speed. Dealer thought maybe it was something loose in the steering column, but the part they changed out apparently didn't do the trick so they're now trying something else.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I'd love some thoughts on what might be causing it, since the dealer seems to be struggling....
Hello,

Sorry to dig up an old post but I've recently started experiencing this issue and it is very similar to what sg92 described. A faint Geiger counter sound coming from the somewhere under the steering column in my '19 F-Pace. I have taken it twice to the dealer and they haven't found the cause.

Has anyone come across this issue and found the cause/solution?

Thank you!

· Registered
627 Posts
Just when you're driving straight or are you turning the wheel?

Hello,

Sorry to dig up an old post but I've recently started experiencing this issue and it is very similar to what sg92 described. A faint Geiger counter sound coming from the somewhere under the steering column in my '19 F-Pace. I have taken it twice to the dealer and they haven't found the cause.

Has anyone come across this issue and found the cause/solution?

Thank you!

· Registered
205 Posts
It could also be one of the following 3 - all of which troubled me and were resulting in clicking or creaking sounds :
1. Headliner rubbing against the panoramic moonroof guides (felt pads is the solution)
2. Driver's window mech needs tightening (dropping the window a quarter inch whilst in motion will cause the noise to cease)
3. Trim on top of the driver's door which holds the window buttons - needed re-fixing as this was also creaking.
Just wondering if you or the dealer found and fixed your number 1 noise? I'm getting a clicking sound up near the overhead panel (where moonroof controls are). Very faint but now that I noticed it, it is the only thing that I hear! I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of the headliner being ever so slightly loose and the clips "click" or "tap" when driving down the road. I find it funny (and kind of sad) that my 12 year old Toyota Avalon with 100K miles on it goes down the road with no interior (or exterior) noises coming from it!

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2022 fpace svr (~2400 miles) and this faint geiger counter like noise (clicking) occurs when going about 70 mph. It sounds like its on front drivers side near the pillar. Any solutions or ideas as to what the problem is? I brought car to the dealer once and they couldn't find any reason for the noise. Wondering if anyone had a similar issue with a solution.

· Registered
231 Posts
Could be the wind lifting part of the windshield trim or any of those little pieces around the sunroof and roof rack attachment points?

· Registered
2,795 Posts
Basemoto,

There is a threat out here on a vibration that is created with one of the under body panels. I had posted a few pics and another SVR owner who had the same issue did the same. It's a center mounted cover that really doesn't do anything. It vibrates with wind and caused in my case a plastic vibration that was annoying. I pulled that panel off and the noise went away. The sound seems to come from right behind the drivers seat. That may be your problem. Here is a shot of the underside of my SVR with the panel removed. It normally goes where the black circles are and it mounts over the black metal cross brace that is in the center circle, as well as the side panels. The panel itself kind of looks like an H. I had a picture of it but that pic is gone, and the panel is home at my house in PA. So I can't take a pic of it. The vibration is caused by the panel, which is plastic, being moved by the air and vibrating against the metal cross brace. My car has been sound free since I removed it.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

· Registered
13 Posts
I had a similar issue and eventually found it by accident when I opened the drivers side rear door. I found that by pressing the lower chrome trim piece on the window I could duplicate the noise. I squirted some teflon spray under the trim piece and its been as quiet as a mouse ever since. I'm sure at some point I'll need to re-apply it when it dries out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts