Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Everyone,

I got a call back from the dealership today and they agree that their tech did not install the new diff correctly. In fact the service writer told me the tech installed the diff with the factory seals on the axle entry points and he should not have done that. The Factory shipping seals should have been removed, and then the actual axle seals should have been installed and only those seals would have been in place. The tech installed the both sets of seals. So they have to order new axle seals since those were damaged due to the installation that the tech did but the diff is fine and will be reused on the install. The new axle seals should be at the dealership tomorrow and hopefully I'll get my F-Pace back tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday.

I'm going to go for some extra compensation on this one, a jaguar accessories debit card or at the minimum the jag premium carpet matts for my troubles here.

I also couldn't drive the XF my son got from them without pretty much having to detail it. It was the cruddiest car I've gotten from them yet. It's a nice XF with a decent trim level and about 4k miles, but it looks to me like it's never been vacuumed or washed at all in that timeframe. Sand, dog hair, coffee on the seats and center console, windows barely able to see through, etc. I spent about an hour last night getting it cleaned up. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your build date is located on your latest VISTA report.
At the risk of sounding totally ignorant, I don't know what a VISTA report is... my F-pace was not a custom order, just off the lot... if that makes a difference.
Regardless, I heard back from the service tech today. Turns out my mystery leak was indeed a bad seal on the differential - at the request of Jag, they swapped out the entire thing as opposed to fixing just the seal. Cars been in the shop for a week now. Hope to get it back Wednesday or Thursday. I seriously miss my car.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Morganza,

Find this sticker, see pic below. This one is from them XF Loaner I have right now, but the F-Pace has a similar one and I think it is just below the striker for the driver side front door. The MFD Date is your build date. This XF was built on April 16th.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Morganza,

Find this sticker, see pic below. This one is from them XF Loaner I have right now, but the F-Pace has a similar one and I think it is just below the striker for the driver side front door. The MFD Date is your build date. This XF was built on April 16th.
Not really. They only give you the month and year. So it shows that it was mfg in April 2016.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Not really. They only give you the month and year. So it shows that it was mfg in April 2016.
Oh well, I had the month right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
At the risk of sounding totally ignorant, I don't know what a VISTA report is... my F-pace was not a custom order, just off the lot... if that makes a difference.
Regardless, I heard back from the service tech today. Turns out my mystery leak was indeed a bad seal on the differential - at the request of Jag, they swapped out the entire thing as opposed to fixing just the seal. Cars been in the shop for a week now. Hope to get it back Wednesday or Thursday. I seriously miss my car.
Sorry, I mistakenly assumed yours was a custom order. The VISTA report contains conformation of how the car will be built. It is used to compare and verify that the model and options you told your dealer you wanted is actually what Jaguar is building for you. It also contains estimated build and delivery dates, as well as the VIN and engine numbers. I suppose you could still ask your dealer for the last VISTA report to find the build date for your FP, but as @PA-FPace-F and @MTHM posted, you can at least find the month and year it was built.

I do feel your pain having to wait to get your FP back from service. After buying and enjoying the FP, then having to leave it back with the dealer for repairs, I don't think I could contain myself for that long!

·
Registered
1 Posts
As of today, my F-Pace has been in the shop for two weeks for smoking and now leaks. 2 weeks ago the cars check coolant level light came on, when we exited the highway and stopped at a gas station, the car started smoking badly. Took the car to the nearest Jaguar dealership, they said that the O rings on the transmission were bad and they fixed it and to take it to my dealership the next day (I was on my way to my moms burial in Long Island NY and I live in Delaware). Called the dealership in Delaware (purchased the car in Cherry Hill NJ) they said that I had to wait a week before they can get to the car, said okay to drive. Within the week, the car started smoking again (no warning light this time). Dropped it off at the dealership on a Tuesday, they didn't get to the car until Thursday, said they had it fixed on Friday. Saturday drove for 15 minutes, the car started smoking again, no warning lights, and leaking coolant. When the car was in the shop on Thursday they said they fixed the following codes: K421 - Rear spring creek, K427 - just says AntiFreeze no description, K445 - Coolant Level Check, K440 - Front Lower control arm cross axis gaiter. They also completed a Tank - expansion, Cap - Reservoir. The car is makes a distinctive squeaking sound from the right rear side, and again smoking. The dealer said that there is something wrong with the engine not catching the anti-freeze and they have to take the engine apart. Wish me luck everyone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Please describe "drive line vibration" so I know what to look for after repair is complete.
A drive line vibration is a vibration felt when accelerating.Mine appears at between 48 and 52 MPH and then again between 68 and 72 MPH and is felt through the floor,seats and steering wheel accompanied by a harshness and growl from the transmission. My vehicle has suffered this from day 1 in July and 5700 miles later my dealer and JLR have decided to exchange it for an identical Vehicle which will be built in January.

Reactions: ctufieldops

·
Registered
173 Posts
Update: Dealer called yesterday and we drove up to pick it up today. So far so good on the 80 mile trip back to the house. Stopped a few times along the way and looked under to check for leaks. Kinda disappointed that we had to take a day off to pick it up when it got a ride up there.

Will keep you updated if something changes.

·
Registered
617 Posts
As of today, my F-Pace has been in the shop for two weeks for smoking and now leaks. 2 weeks ago the cars check coolant level light came on, when we exited the highway and stopped at a gas station, the car started smoking badly. Took the car to the nearest Jaguar dealership, they said that the O rings on the transmission were bad and they fixed it and to take it to my dealership the next day (I was on my way to my moms burial in Long Island NY and I live in Delaware). Called the dealership in Delaware (purchased the car in Cherry Hill NJ) they said that I had to wait a week before they can get to the car, said okay to drive. Within the week, the car started smoking again (no warning light this time). Dropped it off at the dealership on a Tuesday, they didn't get to the car until Thursday, said they had it fixed on Friday. Saturday drove for 15 minutes, the car started smoking again, no warning lights, and leaking coolant. When the car was in the shop on Thursday they said they fixed the following codes: K421 - Rear spring creek, K427 - just says AntiFreeze no description, K445 - Coolant Level Check, K440 - Front Lower control arm cross axis gaiter. They also completed a Tank - expansion, Cap - Reservoir. The car is makes a distinctive squeaking sound from the right rear side, and again smoking. The dealer said that there is something wrong with the engine not catching the anti-freeze and they have to take the engine apart. Wish me luck everyone.
OMG, I sure hope this is an isolated incident and so sorry for your experience. Not sure I would keep that particular vehcile.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hi all, I do have my F-Pace back and while they did a terrible job cleaning the underside of the engine, trans and exhaust of oil, it does seem the diff issue is fixed. I'm still smelling burning oil a bit after running the car for more than 30 minutes (allowing it to get pretty hot) but the dealership is saying that should stop in a few days. So I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm also going to attempt to clean it up a bit with degreaser to be sure there is no further leaking, but I need to be careful there since I don't want to get too much degrease or water on electronic components under the hood. But it does look like the problem is fixed.

By the way, I do not have any drive line vibration after this fix. In fact, i think it has smoothed out a bit to be honest but that may be with the fact that they balanced my tires again during this fix. The same dealership mounted the winter tires on my 22's about a month ago, and when I took it away it seemed then to have a bit more vibration then with the summers, but I was going to give it a bit before taking it back to them and complaining about a somewhat faulty balancing. Well during their test drive they did take it on the interstate here and when they got back, no leak but they decided they needed to rebalance the tires as well as do a realignment.

Super smooth and straight now. Hopefully, the leak also permanently behind us.

By the way the dealership still cannot answer if the new diff fixed the root cause of the original leak or not. They seem to be completely in the dark about that from Jag. So I'm guessing this could happen again to a replaced diff at this point. That is unless any of the rest of you have some better information from a more connected dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dripping on Garage floor

Just brought our F-Pace in for service for the second time. The differential was supposedly fixed about 3 weeks ago. Was still leaking so they had to replace again. Hope this is the final fix!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Question for those who have had their front differential replaced. Have any of you noticed that the transmission doesn't seem as tight as it once did? I've noticed this recently and it seems to be happening at extremely low speeds, i.e., rolling up to a stop sign, coasting behind a slow driver - about 2-3 miles per hour is when I really notice it. It feels like the transmission want to disengage or really loose and jumpy. Just curious about your observations subsequent to the front differential replacement. Thanks ahead of time.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Question for those who have had their front differential replaced. Have any of you noticed that the transmission doesn't seem as tight as it once did? I've noticed this recently and it seems to be happening at extremely low speeds, i.e., rolling up to a stop sign, coasting behind a slow driver - about 2-3 miles per hour is when I really notice it. It feels like the transmission want to disengage or really loose and jumpy. Just curious about your observations subsequent to the front differential replacement. Thanks ahead of time.:laugh:
Well, now that you've said it, yes. I've found from time to time I get a little bucking when rolling through traffic, especially up a hill. I also get slight slipping from time to time when turning sharply to the left or right from a stop. didn't notice that before. Otherwise, its running great.

My front diff has been replaced twice. Second time after the car was lowered and they still replaced it under warrantee as I expected they would due to it going prior.

To be clear to all of those reading this though, I still love my F-Pace and would buy another one tomorrow if I had to return this one due to another diff going. It's the most fun you can have in an SUV in my humble opinion! The only thing that could be more fun for me is if they came out with the SVR! Just another plug for that, I figured if I get that in 2 out of 10 post eventually it will really happen!

Reactions: ctufieldops

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had the same fluid issue, They replaced the seals and it still leaked. They then took steel wool or something like that and went over the pinion and found a small burr on it. After addressing that, new seals were installed and not damaged being put on over the former burr. It's ok now, 6600 miles and no issues with it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Well, now that you've said it, yes. I've found from time to time I get a little bucking when rolling through traffic, especially up a hill. I also get slight slipping from time to time when turning sharply to the left or right from a stop. didn't notice that before. Otherwise, its running great.
The term you used "bucking" better describes the experience I'm seeing in mine. I have read something in this forum about Jag's transmission operation being different from other transmissions. Can anybody else chime in (perhaps someone that hasn't had a front differential replacement) and tell us if this "bucking" at low speeds is a normal operation of this transmission?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
The term you used "bucking" better describes the experience I'm seeing in mine. I have read something in this forum about Jag's transmission operation being different from other transmissions. Can anybody else chime in (perhaps someone that hasn't had a front differential replacement) and tell us if this "bucking" at low speeds is a normal operation of this transmission?

Thanks ahead of time.
I will gladly do some investigating , concerning this *bucking transmission , at LOW SPEEDS* !!!
Since , as everyone already knows , our F-PACE is driven quite often at *LOW SPEEDS* !!!;)
And we have NOT had the *differential replacement* !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just dropped my 2018 F Pace off at the dealership

Same problem here. Just dropped it off at Stevinson Imports. I have a 2018 F Pace 35t R Sport with 1800 miles. Noticed small spots on the garage floor last week and then could smell something burning. Service guy said it's a known issue with ball joints? Hopefully it won't take two weeks to fix because they gave me the 20d as a loaner and I may end up getting run over by a semi or other insane driver in this thing. I hate turbo lag.
Also having them look into the wheel rubbing on the underbody when pulling into inclined driveway at full lock. I hear what sounds like a crunching plastic water bottle. Just had it in a month ago for some various software glitches. The front panel under the car had also come unclipped, probably from the contact the wheel was making at full lock. But this is the reaon I only buy cars under warranty. Any much to be expected with a brand new product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, whatever happened to the leak? How much work did they have to do, and did they ever fix it?

41 - 59 of 59 Posts