Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know about you, but here in NW Pa, it's 10 degrees with 6-8" of snow predicted overnight. My car sits outside under a carport and will be freezing cold in the morning. The Jag app on my phone allows me to warm the cabin which makes me a happy camper!! It's not about engine warming, it's about interior climate! Also, there is the 5 yr, 60k mile warrantee should the engine be damaged!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I'm with JocDoc, might not be good for the car, but it's much better for me when I get in it! I don't let it idle, long less than 3 to 4 minutes. I don't do this in the morning since the car is in a garage overnight that normally doesn't drop below freezing (attached to my house with a room over it). However, in winter and summer I start it as I'm walking out of the office. It's about a 2 to 3 minute walk to the car, then about another minute before I get going. Just enough to get the seat heater moving and take the chill off the cabin.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I have heard this before, but I much rather be comfortable than seeing my own breath when I get in the car.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The whole problem with articles like this is that there is no empirical data. Okay, with modern, fuel injection engines, there is no need for the engine to warm, and the additional fuel introduced when cold can strip the cylinder walls of oil, which may cause additional wear. How much wear? How much time at idle before such additional wear? How many times a year at said warm up idle for that wear to actually make a difference? What kind of a difference does it make? Does it shorten the engine "life" - whatever that is, as are we talking about a general wear-down and slow loss of compression or catastrophic failure - and if so, how much? Will you get 50 less miles before failure, or 10,000 less?

Would any savings in engine wear by not warming be offset by one drive on a dusty road, or doing a scheduled oil change a thousand miles late, or living in a city with constant stop and go traffic? Is the person who constantly bumps against the rev limiter causing more wear than the one who idles for 10 minutes on cold days?

See, this might be great in theory, but until there are actual tests, where you have a set of control vehicles - no, just the engines - where the conditions are controlled and actual measurements made, you will never know. It is like those claims on your health, that eating XXXX will reduce your chances of YYYY by 50%... when the chance of contracting YYYY is one in ten million, and there are hundreds of other factors that can cause your chances to go up or down. Maybe a stupid example, but my point is, you can theorize all day long, but to do actual testing and proving of that theory is what it would take to change behavior.

Furthermore, if this was a real problem, don't you think there would be warnings all over the owner's manual, as JLR (in this case) would want to minimize the possibility of a failure while under warranty?

Reactions: JocDoc

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 36,000 mile 1980 Ford Fiesta ended up in the junk yard because the engine seized one cold February morning. I was late for work, in a rush then started my 12 degree engine and took off. Didn't get far before she locked up.

A cold engine equals cold oil which equals poor lubrication no matter what the viscosity. Now I always let my "OIL" warm up before I put it into drive.

Reactions: The Rock and GRVR

·
Registered
278 Posts
If global warming was true, we would not need to warm up the car...

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
My 36,000 mile 1980 Ford Fiesta ended up in the junk yard because the engine seized one cold February morning. I was late for work, in a rush then started my 12 degree engine and took off. Didn't get far before she locked up.

A cold engine equals cold oil which equals poor lubrication no matter what the viscosity. Now I always let my "OIL" warm up before I put it into drive.
GREAT Point 4x4jag !!!
I was just getting ready to post saying , "Why do you think all the BIG RIGS have an actual "Plug-In" receptacle , so you can plug them in , in order to keep the Engine Fluids WARM , and Ready to Start-Up in COLD Temperatures !!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
When you say big rigs most are diesel so thats a different animal altogether. Unlike gas, diesel engines rely on compression for combustion thus the cold can be problematic on start up.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
......, if this was a real problem, don't you think there would be warnings all over the owner's manual, as JLR (in this case) would want to minimize the possibility of a failure while under warranty?
To further your point here, if it was a real problem JLR would probably not provide the capability of remote starting.:|

Reactions: theweeb

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
GREAT Point 4x4jag !!!
I was just getting ready to post saying , "Why do you think ALL the BIG RIGS have an actual "Plug-In" receptacle , so you can plug them in , in order to keep the Engine Fluids WARM , and Ready to Start-Up in COLD Temperatures !!!
Not true, in most cases the engine heaters (block, oil pan, etc) are options on HDV'S. A lot of buyers don't purchase them at the time of build. In other words, not all have them. :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Up until I purchased my FP, i never had a vehicle with remote starting.
Even when it was very cold, I would jump in the car, and start driving (being careful not to over rev the engine), and I never had any issues.
Sometimes it was mighty cold for the first mile or so, but I survived:)

I believe there's a correlation between winter driving and oil viscosity. You can''t run a heavy weight oil and expect to get good lubrication in cold temperatures.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Not true, in most cases the engine heaters (block, oil pan, etc) are options on HDV'S. A lot of buyers don't purchase them at the time of build. In other words, not all have them. :)
You GOT me on that one MTHM !!! After seeing how Anal your were in other Threads about "such words" , I should have known well enough to say "MOST" , no wait , "MANY" , no wait , "SOME" Big Rigs have them !!! >:)
My apologies , Sir !!! ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
You GOT me on that one MTHM !!! After seeing how Anal your were in other Threads about "such words" , I should have known well enough to say "MOST" , no wait , "MANY" , no wait , "SOME" Big Rigs have them !!! >:)
Wait a minute here,,,, I think this is a dig aimed directly at me!

I think it is time to get all medieval on you...

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Wait a minute here,,,, I think this is a dig aimed directly at me!

I think it is time to get all medieval on you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXx56WqqJw
Not so Fast ddeliber !!! It took me awhile to find the Post I was referring to , but I finally did !!! If you will take note , MTHM started the "WORD" fiasco on post #36 of the "excellent handling in snow and ice" thread !!! You piped in on post #38 and then Turbine22 piped in on post #39 !!! And then MTHM had to start a new "WORD" fiasco on this thread with me !!! So , I am sorry to take away your "spotlight" , but this "dig" was directed at who I directed it to , ( MTHM ) !!! Apparently MTHM has a "problem" when the word "All" is used !!! I think the REAL reason YOU want to get all "medieval" on me , is because I gave a "LIKE" to Turbine22's post , instead of yours !!! Sorry , maybe next time buddy !!! ;)

P.S. THANKS to you , I just WASTED *5.44 minutes* of my life , watching that GOOFY Video !!! >:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine Alloys

Blocks, cylinder walls, pistons, rings--all made of different alloys, all expanding (due to heat) at different rates. I'll let mine warm up before kicking in 380hp, thank you.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It comes from many years of working with US Gov't regulations.
You better say what you mean, and mean what you say, or else:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts