Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of threads about activating SIM cards, three month data trials, etc. Is this required for the Jaguar Remote app to work so that I can remote start the vehicle?

I truly don't see the point of in-car Wifi with a 3G uplink when I can tether to my iPhone if necessary and use my LTE uplink.

But if I have to have that for remote start to work, then... that kind of sucks. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You need the Jaguar Remote App. You do not need a data plan for the remote climate (that's what it's called). You can also lock the doors but you can't roll up the windows. You can locate your vehicle and have it beep and flash the lights as well. Tells you how much gas you have, the range and odometer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has to communicate with the car SOMEHOW. Are you saying that it works even without the SIM activated? If so, there has to be some secondary wireless system in there somewhere.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No SIM necessary for the Jaguar Remote app's functions to work. Those communication features are "hardwired" into the car and not connected to the removable SIM.

Reactions: hv2gmbl

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Also worth noting, the service is included with your standard warranty/maintenance term - 5 years / 60k miles.

Probably worth digging to see how it's ACTUALLY connecting, but as our ATT data connection wasn't activated until recently but the Jaguar Remote worked fine, I can attest to the fact that the "mobile connectivity" data line is not required.

·
Registered
176 Posts
All In Control Protect/Security Services use a built in cellular connection in the car. This is a built in SIM that is not accessible to owners and includes a data plan paid for by Jaguar. This data connection ONLY works for There Protect/Security services: InControl Remote, Incontrol Enhanced Assistance, Incontrol Emergency SOS, InControl Theft Tracking. All other data connection in the car require you to use your own sim and have a second data connection. This is because these are "optional" services that can consume a varying amount of data depending on how you use them, and Jaguar doesn't want to be on the hook for that - so they only cover the cellular connection for Protect/Security/Remote.

So short answer - you do not need to insert a SIM for the remote to work - the car already has a built in cellular connection dedicated for that purpose (as well as roadside assist and SOS).

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
Side note: according to a Topix item it is critical that your dealer initialize this internal, built in vehicle "telematics" system BEFORE the separate infotainment SIM card (ATT) is installed and initialized. If not the telematics system may try to route its connection through the infotainment cellular connection.

Why you might want a wifi connection; there is a built in cellular antenna system that should provide a better connection than a phone might on its own.

Reactions: Peter and hv2gmbl

·
Registered
3 Posts
It does not need the data plan. I'm not sure how this one works, every manufacture does it a little differently, but it either is connected through satellite or separate 3g connection that you do not have to worry about that is always activated by Jaguar. As for the in car wifi, there used to be plans for unlimited and such for a set amount which is why its better then just tethering your phone. I have not seen the plans ATT offers now but i do know the service through sirius you can activate it for a day or for a week which is nice for trips and such, I'm sure you can do the same with ATT

·
Registered
5 Posts
It does not need the data plan. I'm not sure how this one works, every manufacture does it a little differently, but it either is connected through satellite or separate 3g connection that you do not have to worry about that is always activated by Jaguar. As for the in car wifi, there used to be plans for unlimited and such for a set amount which is why its better then just tethering your phone. I have not seen the plans ATT offers now but i do know the service through sirius you can activate it for a day or for a week which is nice for trips and such, I'm sure you can do the same with ATT

I am thinking that it is still cellular, but may be included with the 5/yr InControl license. In reading through the EULA it talks about ATT and agreeing to pay overages for data connections, etc, but I don't have an active SIM and mine works just fine - and it works in the basement parking garage, so fairly confident that it is not satellite.

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
Did you all read the postings above?

Yes. There is a vehicle telematics cellular connection with its own built in SIM and its own cellular connection that is separate and distinct from the infotainment cellular connection/wifi hotspot/ATT SIM which is optional. The telematics system is what you are accessing with the remote app and it is also responsible for emergency SOS, stolen vehicle tracking and roadside assistance contact button capabilities.

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread because I seem to have a problem with this "system". I finally was able to get my car added to the Jaguar InControl account. Before I left the dealer, they couldn't get it to contact the car. The car wouldn't connect to 3G. It now does, but the Remote App won't do anything. The App say that the last time the car was contacted was at the dealer on September 16th. I picked it up on 10/11.

Before I get scolded, I now understand that the there are 2 different signals/systems, but I don't know what to do to make the Remote App work. Any thoughts?

Reactions: VZV

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread because I seem to have a problem with this "system". I finally was able to get my car added to the Jaguar InControl account. Before I left the dealer, they couldn't get it to contact the car. The car wouldn't connect to 3G. It now does, but the Remote App won't do anything. The App say that the last time the car was contacted was at the dealer on September 16th. I picked it up on 10/11.

Before I get scolded, I now understand that the there are 2 different signals/systems, but I don't know what to do to make the Remote App work. Any thoughts?

Were you ever able to get this to work? I've had a similar problem and can't seem to get any kind of connection restored. Jaguar Customer Service is being less than helpful.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have the opposite problem. The Remote App works just fine, but no wifi (even though the dealer set it up according to the instructions)...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Were you ever able to get this to work? I've had a similar problem and can't seem to get any kind of connection restored. Jaguar Customer Service is being less than helpful.
Sometimes...it doesn't work more times than it does. But we just had the ICTP software update. Perhaps that will have some effect, but I doubt it.

Funny thing...our car was being delivered from the dealer 2 hours away today. I opened the Remote App just to see where the car was. It was still shown at the dealership. My wife left the house. An hour later they called her that they were waiting for her at our house. So clearly, it still has problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Side note: according to a Topix item it is critical that your dealer initialize this internal, built in vehicle "telematics" system BEFORE the separate infotainment SIM card (ATT) is installed and initialized. If not the telematics system may try to route its connection through the infotainment cellular connection.

Why you might want a wifi connection; there is a built in cellular antenna system that should provide a better connection than a phone might on its own.

Is it possible to direct me to this particular Topix item? Perhaps this could be the cause of my issue with the car not connecting to the InControl system.

Thanks!

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
I was thinking similar thing. This might be the one. Though it also may be you have something hardware related due to severity of your symptoms. One thing might be to ask your dealer to PDI your vehicle from scratch all over again being sure wifi is off and ATT SIM not activated until telematics working. BTW this topix is from Nov 2015 so hard to believe it would still be a problem in PDI process unless someone goofed.

SSM72503 - The Telematics module cannot be activate

Models F-PACE / X761
F-TYPE / X152
XE / X760
XF / X260
XJ / X351
Title The Telematics module cannot be activated at PDI
Category Electrical
Last modified 05-Nov-2015 00:00:00
Symptom 207000 Entertainment Systems
Content
Note: Only applicable to 16my vehicles onwards.

Issue
The Telematics module (TCU) cannot be activated at PDI.

Cause
If a vehicle has both a TCU and Wi-Fi, and if Wi-Fi is turned on, the PDI process will attempt to use the Personal Sim Card (PSIM) for connectivity to backend services. This will affect activation.

Action
The Wi-Fi is by default turned off for vehicle delivery and should not be turned on until the PDI is complete.

Topix will be update at the earliest opportunity

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply. I'll relay this to the dealer but I'm thinking that its not the cause seeing as how the system worked for a while and then suddenly ceased to function.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am trying to decide if it is worth it to keep the 3G going after the free period. Does anyone know precisely what functionality will be lost without the 3G being active? It is not a big expense but just wanting to make an informed decision.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts