Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a bike and I was interested in purchasing this "Tow Bar Mounted Cycle Carrier - 2 Bike, LHD" (see image above), I was told I need to add Tow Bar option to my vehicle (electronic one?) in order to be able to use it. Is this true?

Another question; how do I install this on my car? Is it easily detachable and stored, say in the car's trunk?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I have a bike and I was interested in purchasing this "Tow Bar Mounted Cycle Carrier - 2 Bike, LHD" (see image above), I was told I need to add Tow Bar option to my vehicle (electronic one?) in order to be able to use it. Is this true?

Another question; how do I install this on my car? Is it easily detachable and stored, say in the car's trunk?
Yes, you need a tow hitch, and the best deal is to put it on your factory order.
You can place your carrier in the back, but you won't have much room for anything else.
It's probably not too light either.

Reactions: LauraCrow

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you need a tow hitch, and the best deal is to put it on your factory order.
You can place your carrier in the back, but you won't have much room for anything else.
It's probably not too light either.

Thank you MTHM, does it matter if it's detachable Tow Bar or Electronically Deployed Tow Bar?
If it's heavy, then I wonder if it's a good choice for me! :(

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
They are using the term "Tow Bar" , which is the *Hitch* that you are referring to ! Definitely ADD the *Tow Hitch* Option to your Build Sheet ! I think it is like $700 extra , but if you decide to add it on later , it could cost over $1500 ! The *Hitch* that this "Bike Carrier" mounts onto , is permanently mounted on your F-Pace , and you do NOT need the *electric* one ! All you would have to "LIFT" if you decide to remove it , is the Bike Carrier , and I don't know how much they weigh !
Definitely GET THE *HITCH or TOW BAR* Option , whatever they call it !!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are using the term "Tow Bar" , which is the *Hitch* that you are referring to ! Definitely ADD the *Tow Hitch* Option to your Build Sheet ! I think it is like $700 extra , but if you decide to add it on later , it could cost over $1500 ! The *Hitch* that this "Bike Carrier" mounts onto , is permanently mounted on your F-Pace , and you do NOT need the *electric* one ! All you would have to "LIFT" if you decide to remove it , is the Bike Carrier , and I don't know how much they weigh !
Definitely GET THE *HITCH or TOW BAR* Option , whatever they call it !!!
Thank you GRVR for the clarification :)
But can you elaborate on the "permanently mounted" part? lol, did you actually mean I can't personally remove the bike carrier once installed?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Thank you GRVR for the clarification :)
But can you elaborate on the "permanently mounted" part? lol, did you actually mean I can't personally remove the bike carrier once installed?
The *Hitch* is permanently mounted under the rear bumper !
The Bike Carrier goes into the Hitch , when you want to haul Bikes !
Therefore , the *Bike Carrier* can be removed , when you do not want it back there !

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thank you MTHM, does it matter if it's detachable Tow Bar or Electronically Deployed Tow Bar?
If it's heavy, then I wonder if it's a good choice for me! :(
The optional tow bar from Jaguar is not detachable. It is a permanent fixture on your FP. It comes with all the necessary electronics to hook up to a trailer, if needed. It is a good selling feature, if and when you want to sell the car.
I have not seen the Jag carrier in person, but if it is substantial, and it should be for that money, it will not be too light.
Does the description of the carrier give you the weight?
If you look back through the other threads about bike racks, you will see a photo of mine. I added the factory tow hitch for the same reason as you. Just for a bike rack.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The *Hitch* is permanently mounted under the rear bumper !
The Bike Carrier goes into the Hitch , when you want to haul Bikes !
Therefore , the *Bike Carrier* can be removed , when you do not want it back there !
That make sense, thank you again GRVR! :)

The optional tow bar from Jaguar is not detachable. It is a permanent fixture on your FP. It comes with all the necessary electronics to hook up to a trailer, if needed. It is a good selling feature, if and when you want to sell the car.
I have not seen the Jag carrier in person, but if it is substantial, and it should be for that money, it will not be too light.
Does the description of the carrier give you the weight?
If you look back through the other threads about bike racks, you will see a photo of mine. I added the factory tow hitch for the same reason as you. Just for a bike rack.
Oh, the website says "detachable Tow Bar" though?
Yeah unfortunately the description for the Bike Carrier doesn't mention any weight.

"Premium tow ball mounted cycle carriers provide a convenient bike carrying solution with quick release loading attachments and secure locking mechanism. Clever design allows carrier to be tilted away from vehicle when fitted allowing access into the rear tailgate. Uses 13 pin electrics."

I will check your thread, thank you MTHM. :)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Oh, the website says "detachable Tow Bar" though?
Ok , Ok , I think I see where the confusion lies ! The "detachable Tow Bar" is most likely the Piece that will slide into the *Hitch Receiver* that is mounted permanently under the rear bumper ! A "Tow Bar" as they are referring to it , is the part that normally has a Ball mounted on it , so you could hookup a Trailer ! What I would do FOR NOW , is DEFINITELY order the *Tow Hitch* on your Build Sheet , so the Hitch will already be on the vehicle when you get it ! Take care of buying the Bike Carrier LATER ! Just a suggestion !

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Just make sure you put the "Tow hitch Receiver" on your order. All the other things you can decide on later, including the bike carrier.
You may want to use a carrier other than the one offered by Jaguar. Do your homework, ask a lot of questions, and go to several bike shops to look at what's out there, before you make a decision.

The BRITS have different terminology than we do. To us a Tow hitch Receiver is a trailer hitch. Their tow bar, to us is a hitch adapter

·
Registered
522 Posts
That is one reason you may have trouble finding what you want on the lot. I wanted the tow hitch strictly for a bike rack, and there was no way I was going to pay 2-3 times the factory price to have one installed later.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Jumping in late, I suspect the actual bike rack park won't be too heavy. The towing hitch setup is worth getting no matter what; a) you barely see it b) has all the integrated electronics for towing and connection to car systems c) good for resale value.

Separate from this, you are also getting the Activity Key right? Easy and relatively cheap when ordered with vehicle. Great for biking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey Laura, are you in the US?

To my knowledge the Electronically Deployed Tow bar is not an option in the US, which is why everyone defaults to the tow hitch (really a tow hitch receiver) as the right answer. The deployable tow ball stores under the car and comes out when you flip a switch. The tow receiver is a 2" open square mounted under the FP that you slide a tow bar into (In my case the bar is mounted directly to my Thule bike carrier.)

The deployable system includes a ball and will need a compatible bike rack.

My Thule rack - Thule T2

Hitch (Receiver) pic (Nissan but you get the idea)

Video of the deployable hitch

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now it's all making sense.
Yes, there's no "Tow Hitch Receiver" option for my Dealer's Online Website but we have a "Detachable Tow Bar" and an "Electronically Deplorable Tow Bar", I'm guessing the former can be turned into be a "Tow Hitch Receiver" if you detach the Tow Bar (if that would make it compatible with some Bike Racks?).

"Bespoke towing system featuring a detachable tow ball. Offering towing capability between 2000kg and 2400kg (braked trailer, dependent upon powertrain) using 50mm ball system. When removed, there is no sign of tow bar to interrupt the lines of the rear of the vehicle. Also includes 13Pin Towing electrics."

No, I'm not in USA that's why there's a lot of confusion when I read about people here recommending certain packages and ignoring the rest, I've realized the American Jaguar website offers a quite different set of optional features / packages (and the standard features are also somewhat different) than what my local dealer is offering. Yikes!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Hey there LauraCrow ! Since you are in a different Country , maybe you need to check the "Standard" items list , to see if the *Tow Hitch Receiver* is already on there ! That might be why it is not on the "Options" List ! If the *Hitch Receiver* is already included , then that is why you would then need to "Option" the *Detachable Tow Bar* to hook your *Bike Carrier* to (this is the piece you see sticking out the back of the F-Pace) in bendobe's first picture ! If you were to choose the *Electronic Tow Bar* Option , it would take the place of (and delete) the *Hitch Receiver* ! I believe the *Electronic* one is VERY EXPENSIVE , compared to ordering the *Hitch Receiver* ! Also , if you will notice in the first picture , there is NO Ball on the Two Bar (it is made specifically for the Bike Carrier) , so if you get the *Electronic Tow Bar* version that is just a Ball , then you will need a Bike Carrier that is made specifically for that ! You will have MANY more CHOICES in *Bike Carriers* if you just go with the regular *Hitch Receiver* ! I don't know about in your Country , but in the U.S. the *Hitch Receiver* Price includes the Heavy Duty Engine Cooler & the Electric Plug-In back at the Hitch for Lights and/or Trailers with Electric Brakes ! The Hitch Receiver is mounted so perfectly under the F-Pace , that you will normally almost not be able to see it ! It does not stick out as much as the one in bendobe's second picture (which he said was on a Nissan) !

BOTTOM LINE , if you are able to , GET THE *HITCH RECEIVER* (from the factory) , if it is available to you ! ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey there LauraCrow ! Since you are in a different Country , maybe you need to check the "Standard" items list , to see if the *Tow Hitch Receiver* is already on there ! That might be why it is not on the "Options" List ! If the *Hitch Receiver* is already included , then that is why you would then need to "Option" the *Detachable Tow Bar* to hook your *Bike Carrier* to (this is the piece you see sticking out the back of the F-Pace) in bendobe's first picture ! If you were to choose the *Electronic Tow Bar* Option , it would take the place of (and delete) the *Hitch Receiver* ! I believe the *Electronic* one is VERY EXPENSIVE , compared to ordering the *Hitch Receiver* ! Also , if you will notice in the first picture , there is NO Ball on the Two Bar (it is made specifically for the Bike Carrier) , so if you get the *Electronic Tow Bar* version that is just a Ball , then you will need a Bike Carrier that is made specifically for that ! You will have MANY more CHOICES in *Bike Carriers* if you just go with the regular *Hitch Receiver* ! I don't know about in your Country , but in the U.S. the *Hitch Receiver* Price includes the Heavy Duty Engine Cooler & the Electric Plug-In back at the Hitch for Lights and/or Trailers with Electric Brakes ! The Hitch Receiver is mounted so perfectly under the F-Pace , that you will normally almost not be able to see it ! It does not stick out as much as the one in bendobe's second picture (which he said was on a Nissan) !

BOTTOM LINE , if you are able to , GET THE *HITCH RECEIVER* (from the factory) , if it is available to you ! ;)

Hello GRVR :)
It's odd there's no Hitch Receiver coming with the standard F Pace S features. I guess going with the Detachable Tow Bar (rather than the electronically deploy-able one) would give me more versatility in choosing my Bike Carrier options. Thanks, I'll skip the Electronic Tow Bar and go with the detachable one. ;)

Below are the Standard S features:
S front bumper
Body-coloured S door claddings with Satin Chrome finishers
S rear bumper with Gloss Black finish and Satin Chrome diffuser
Heated rear screen with timer
Variable intermittent wipers
Electric front and rear windows with one-touch open/close and anti-trap
Approach Illumination (automatic via remote) & follow me home lighting
LED tail lights
Rain sensing windscreen wipers
Headlight Powerwash
Front fog lights
S badge front and S AWD badge rear
S badge on front grille
Infrared Reflective windscreen
Heated door mirrors with Power Fold and Approach Lights with Memory
Gesture tailgate
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Full size spare wheel

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Hello GRVR :)
It's odd there's no Hitch Receiver coming with the standard F Pace S features. I guess going with the Detachable Tow Bar (rather than the electronically deploy-able one) would give me more versatility in choosing my Bike Carrier options. Thanks, I'll skip the Electronic Tow Bar and go with the detachable one. ;)
If there is NO Hitch Receiver , then there is NO sense buying a *Detachable Tow Bar* or any *Bike Rack* !!!
You have to have a *Hitch Receiver* PERMANENTLY mounted on the car , in order to use the *Tow Bar Mounted Bike Rack* you are looking at from Jaguar !!! Jaguar is also telling you , that if you want the *Bike Rack* then you have to also purchase the *Detachable Tow Bar* , which slides into the *Hitch Receiver* !!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
LauraCrow, I assumed you were located in NA, which was a wrong assumption on my part. Therefore, some of the information I provided you may not be applicable to your situation.

I think you can appreciate that it would help us all immensely to provide meaningful information, and answers questions appropriately , if posters would just fill in the location information in the control panel profile details section.
I believe we are all here to basically help and educate each other:)

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
56 Posts
If the *Hitch Receiver* is already included , then that is why you would then need to "Option" the *Detachable Tow Bar* to hook your *Bike Carrier* to (this is the piece you see sticking out the back of the F-Pace) in bendobe's first picture !
Just as a point of clarification, the bar is part of the bike rack in my setup, the rack is one piece and just slides into the receiver. There is no bar, no ball, just the receiver mounted on the FP and my bike rack.

Video of your standard US hitch rack being used

1 - 20 of 36 Posts