Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Researching the F-Pace, for my next SUV and can't find if the Auto Stop/Start can be disabled. I know it can be manually turned off with each restart, but can it be permanently disabled? I know with my BMW the dealer is allowed to code the ASS off per customer request? ( I hate this feature) And does the gas door lock? Read somewhere it does not.

Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes. There's a thread already. Search for it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Greetings,

I don't even know what "start/stop" is! :)

I've been running my two beasts without that feature for more than a month now. Look for the thread to find out how easy this is to disconnect. The control panel switch is in the boot area and is where you disconnect this awful feature.

Wow, what a great feeling not to turn off that beautiful switch. :)

Best regards

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, found the threads for Auto Stop /Start and can that be right - you have to mess with electrical connections to disable?
This is incredible. I have a listing of available coding options for BMW's . Had many of this done to my 650i M Edition. Just attach a laptop with the coding software to your OBD-II port and pick the mods you want. Everything from disable legal disclaimers & seat belt chimes to lighting changes (high beams & fogs at same time) to permanent disable ASS.

But short of that BMW dealers are allowed to turn off the ASS if the customer asks. Why has Jaguar not done this? No law against it.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Wow, found the threads for Auto Stop /Start and can that be right - you have to mess with electrical connections to disable?
This is incredible. I have a listing of available coding options for BMW's . Had many of this done to my 650i M Edition. Just attach a laptop with the coding software to your OBD-II port and pick the mods you want. Everything from disable legal disclaimers & seat belt chimes to lighting changes (high beams & fogs at same time) to permanent disable ASS.

But short of that BMW dealers are allowed to turn off the ASS if the customer asks. Why has Jaguar not done this? No law against it.
Jag dealers do have the power to do this with the software they have, but they refuse to do it when I've asked. I guess it's a Jag Corporate Policy or something. I know the BMW experience. My wife's 428 Xdrive convertible has start stop, but it's set by the dealership to default off.

Pulling the plug in the back really wasn't a big deal. I did the same thing Rock did some time ago.

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jag dealers do have the power to do this with the software they have, but they refuse to do it when I've asked. I guess it's a Jag Corporate Policy or something. I know the BMW experience. My wife's 428 Xdrive convertible has start stop, but it's set by the dealership to default off.

Pulling the plug in the back really wasn't a big deal. I did the same thing Rock did some time ago.
Guess I don't understand why Jag dealers refuse to do it. What reason did they give? Since there is hard button to disable it, they allow the feature to be turned off. So why put the customer who does not wish to manually disable EVERY time they start the car through that? Could it be just that dealer? I just don't like the idea of screwing with the electronics in a modern vehicle. And in this case totally unnecessary. If I do go for a F-Pace next year, going to insist on disabling if they want the sale.

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
Guess I don't understand why Jag dealers refuse to do it. What reason did they give? Since there is hard button to disable it, they allow the feature to be turned off. So why put the customer who does not wish to manually disable EVERY time they start the car through that? Could it be just that dealer? I just don't like the idea of screwing with the electronics in a modern vehicle. And in this case totally unnecessary. If I do go for a F-Pace next year, going to insist on disabling if they want the sale.
They won't turn it off for you because it is part of meeting their required corporate fuel economy goals. Also, do you think ANY manufacturer would have anything to do with tampering with anything even remotely related to pollution reduction or energy efficiency after VW's billions of dollars fiasco?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,

Researching the F-Pace, for my next SUV and can't find if the Auto Stop/Start can be disabled. I know it can be manually turned off with each restart, but can it be permanently disabled? I know with my BMW the dealer is allowed to code the ASS off per customer request? ( I hate this feature) And does the gas door lock? Read somewhere it does not.

Thanks
As for the gas door, no, it does not lock.

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
They won't turn it off for you because it is part of meeting their required corporate fuel economy goals. Also, do you think ANY manufacturer would have anything to do with tampering with anything even remotely related to pollution reduction or energy efficiency after VW's billions of dollars fiasco?
First, a number of car Mfg's WILL disable the auto stop/start or in BMW case - program it to remember last setting. So if you turn it off, it stays off permanently. If you want to use it, turn it on and it stays on. There is no federal statue on this.The car makers CAN turn it off without legal issues - this is not tampering.. And keep in mind ASS is not a requirement.. Why do you think they include a button to let you disable it? And the Mfg's really wink at this. Once they get the EPA certification with ASS, they could care less if you turn it off and get a tiny bit less MPG. This stupid feature is for their benefit not ours.
No sure how you can compare this to VW diesel intentional cheating scandal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Off topic I live in a urban area there are a lot of stop and go traffic. I feel the auto on and off is killing the engine, so my question is does the auto on and off damage the engine when it is on and off very often???

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
Off topic I live in a urban area there are a lot of stop and go traffic. I feel the auto on and off is killing the engine, so my question is does the auto on and off damage the engine when it is on and off very often???
No, it's designed to handle this. It's getting to be a standard feature on many vehicles, more so in Europe but coming to US.

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It may not damage the engine, but it sure will shorten the life of the battery & starting system. A number of BMW owners have reported these issues with auto stop/start. And for what a few thimbles of gas savings? Alot of guys are saying **** no to this irritating system and turning it off permanently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I disabled it on my MY18 /S. There is a post out there with instructions. Was pretty easy:
1. Remove fuse box cover in cargo are.
2. Remove clip near the fuse box (pull out the rectangular tab.
3. Pull carpet back to expose the module in the rear cargo area, near the break light.
4. Disconnect the two large plugs so you can reach the small one with 4 or so wires in it. Disconnect the small one and tape off.
5. Plug the two large ones back in.
6. Put it all back together.

Took 15 min, mostly because I fiddled around with the plugs trying to work around them and then just said heck with it and unplugged them.

Everything works great, and it doesn't auto-stop any more. I tested the remote start as well - still works. Someone had another method by disconnecting a hood switch, but some have said that this killed the remote start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts