Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has towed with the diesel? We take our boat on trips sometimes and although the towing capacity is the same with all engines, I'm wondering if the diesel labours on the uphills. I'm on the fence with the diesel so this may tip the scales.

And not looking for opinions or what it's supposed to do. I want to hear from those who have actually towed a boat or something with the diesel. Probably too early for NA buyers but maybe someone in the UK?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has towed with the diesel? We take our boat on trips sometimes and although the towing capacity is the same with all engines, I'm wondering if the diesel labours on the uphills. I'm on the fence with the diesel so this may tip the scales.

And not looking for opinions or what it's supposed to do. I want to hear from those who have actually towed a boat or something with the diesel. Probably too early for NA buyers but maybe someone in the UK?

Thanks!

Mike
Try the UK f pace forums but be careful they have a more powerful diesel version.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the 2.0 diesel in my R sport. I was concerned about having enough motor based on the reviews, but now I can rest easy after having driven a couple of thousand miles. The car is great to drive and the reserve you have in pulling power at any speed is fantastic. I know the petro heads with their horsepower ratings and 0-60 times are a little reluctant to embrace the little diesel but based on my driving it works better than fine. At 60 mph the engine is turning 1700 rpms which is right at the peak torque and you can really feel the pull when you step on it. The petro will give you the same or a little more torque but not at that low rpm. A second point is that trip computer usually gives me a 450 mile range after I fill up - that's a nice range. I made the right choice and love the drivability of this car.

Boom: Any experience with towing? I'm narrowing down my options and I'm test driving a diesel R Sport tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll be happy with it but the only concern is potentially towing my boat. I suspect it will be OK as most of the work is done at low speed where the diesel torque will come into play, but just curious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I haven't towed anything yet but as long as its not the too heavy I would thing you'll be fine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Greetings. Attempting to revive this thread. Anyone have any experience with this yet?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
IMHO as long as you are not pushing the limits of tongue weight and stayed a little conservative under the max towing weight..( I'd stay 1K#) under.... I think it would be fine... I wouldn't try it at max weight or really bow the rear end down with tongue weight. That is one advantage of my JGC.. load leveling air bags/springs.

As long as you aren't pushing the limits and don't tow every week... I wouldn't even worry about it....

·
Registered
589 Posts
... I wouldn't try it at max weight or really bow the rear end down with tongue weight...
You can get a load-leveling hitch and bars to alleviate this concern (or at least I would!). Used to do this with an '89 Montero 4 door and a two horse trailer and it worked great. Should help here too unless the hitch is not tied in well enough to support the weight transfer toward the front. Which given the allowed tow weight and tongue weight would seem to be not an issue, but I don't have direct knowledge of the setup on our cars...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I guess I just don't see this vehicle to be used for any reasonable duty towing...4-5K weight , long distances, Mountains etc. If you are towing occasional boats, open framed trailers, an ATV or some mowers ,fine.... but say a travel trailer or dual wheel cargo trailer etc. ? Well.. I'd have something a little more beefy for that...
again... just my opinion. But I tow everything with my 2500, because I don't ever want a trailer wrangling me when it's windy or conditions are less than perfect...

·
Registered
589 Posts
... but say a travel trailer or dual wheel cargo trailer etc. ? Well.. I'd have something a little more beefy for that...
Nothing wrong with having a longer wheelbase for stable towing. But I ran the wheels off of that two horse trailer which was 5000lbs or so, and the Montero was a 4000lb vehicle. I'd have no qualms about putting some weight behind the Jag but would consider tow bars for large loads.
Sorry we haven't been able to help the OP with direct experience with large towing...

Reactions: stbentoak

·
Registered
116 Posts
Towed my Kubota just fine at all speeds. I think I hit 60 at one time, and solid as a rock.

It all depends how you load the weight, but I wouldn't think twice about going up to the max 6000 LBS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts