Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere today that the diesel engine that will be available for the F-Pace will give it 3 second GREATER times than the petrol engines 0-60. Wow, 3 seconds is a lot. Ouch... I'd love better fuel economy but after buying a car that costs 60 grand 8 to 9 second quarter mile times would seem embarrassing. Well maybe not to everyone, but it sure would me, uh, in a Jag....

After thinking about that for awhile, I kind of would be surprised that someone would every buy that scenario in the US where we like powerful cars and like quieter petrol engines. I asked my wife if she'd consider a diesel and got a glare... okay that means NO. :mad:

Since it seems like everyone on this forum is gearing up to get upper end models loaded with lots of toys, it seems counter-intuitive to get small less powerful engines. Maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't go diesel since Jaguar has most likely passed the emissions test with theirs.

Yea it makes sense to go for the more powerful engine with all the toys if you're going to be building a 60k vehicle. I'll probably go Diesel too since the cost of it is cheaper than petrol it can be just as eco friendly is not more than it's counterpart.
It's just VW that you should be wary of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Diesels coming out now are certainly passing emissions tests. Scrutiny has increased meaning that automakers are sure to play by the rules.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As long as they know who they're targeting with this model and spec it accordingly and even price it accordingly, everything should go by smoothly, even leave most customers happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can bet that the diesel and the 4 cyl Ingenium petrol cars will lack quite a few of the specs that the Prestige and upper level S/R vehicles will have as standard, or optioned.
These are bought by price conscious buyers (want mileage, etc.), if you look at the numbers. The same thing existed with the XF's. There were a bunch of things you couldn't get in the XF if you bought a 4.
This is too bad, but a fact of life. Merecedes seems to allow you to buy almost anything in the GLC, so we will have to see how Jaguar will spec this. I just can't imagine that it will be speced any differently than the base 6, not the Prestige, but maybe there will be a Prestige 4, as well as the 6 cylinder Prestige model?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Might be safe to say that if Mercedes does it and has success with that sort of offering then Jaguar could see the same results or something good enough for them to continue on with it for a good time frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Real question is, does Jaguar see the 4 cyl cars as a base car, or do they see them as a luxo barge to be loaded up like Mercedes and Audi? Since they are placing themselves in the performance category like the Porsches, maybe they see the 4's as more utilitarian. Will there be 2 wheel and 4 like Audi, only 4 wheel like the GLC? It will be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I read somewhere today that the diesel engine that will be available for the F-Pace will give it 3 second GREATER times than the petrol engines 0-60. Wow, 3 seconds is a lot. Ouch... I'd love better fuel economy but after buying a car that costs 60 grand 8 to 9 second quarter mile times would seem embarrassing. Well maybe not to everyone, but it sure would me, uh, in a Jag....

After thinking about that for awhile, I kind of would be surprised that someone would every buy that scenario in the US where we like powerful cars and like quieter petrol engines. I asked my wife if she'd consider a diesel and got a glare... okay that means NO. :mad:

Since it seems like everyone on this forum is gearing up to get upper end models loaded with lots of toys, it seems counter-intuitive to get small less powerful engines. Maybe it's just me.

It's worse than that. 8.9 seconds may not be quarter mile. That 8+ second time Jaguar claims for the Turbodiesel version of F-Pace is just 0-60. It's not just you. The turbodiesel versions of the F-Pace will be slow as molasses by comparison, that is, to the 380HP supercharged versions. Getting whipped by a minivan in my Jaguar F-Pace would bother the heck out of me. But for some people gas mileage is a greater priority. Diesel will get better mileage.

What I don't get is why someone would buy a Jag F-Pace (or a Porsche equivalent like the Macan) and worry about gas mileage. These brands are about performance, not just appearance. If you can afford this car, you can afford the gas. Maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is not about the cost of the gas mileage but rather the impact on environment. The attitude of nonchalance about affording the gas is so 20th century

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is not about the cost of the gas mileage but rather the impact on environment. The attitude of nonchalance about affording the gas is so 20th century
Thank You. I don't like to fill up all the time. I drive a long distance to work and want range and I can afford gas. Actually Diesel cost more! And I drive my BMW in Eco-Pro mode. I'm not clear on all this need for speed. I'm comfortable in my manhood. A bigger car engine is not necessary. All the reviews of the Ingenium diesel on YouTube have been favorable. No one said it was slow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When it comes to us, yes. It's what they'll be able to sell on since we all like to do our part. But they're apparently going to come out with an electric version of the F-Pace. I bet if they had an SUV years ago, right now we would be hearing of one being available soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When it comes to us, yes. It's what they'll be able to sell on since we all like to do our part. But they're apparently going to come out with an electric version of the F-Pace. I bet if they had an SUV years ago, right now we would be hearing of one being available soon.
Im not really a "TreeHugger" like many these days. Tho, the less we use the more we have for the future. If we have technology to get more range on less can't be all bad. Electric is good for City Drivers but Diesel is better for Long Distance Drivers like me. I don't want to stop what i'm doing and fill up all the time is mostly my favorability for Diesel

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im not really a "TreeHugger" like many these days. Tho, the less we use the more we have for the future. If we have technology to get more range on less can't be all bad. Electric is good for City Drivers but Diesel is better for Long Distance Drivers like me. I don't want to stop what i'm doing and fill up all the time is mostly my favorability for Diesel
It's the type of powertrain setup that will be for the masses, along with other powertrains that have similar goals. Fortunately diesel isn't going anywhere soon, after all look at how many new diesel vehicles have come to market recently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the recharge time was fairly short, like the same rate at which your cell phone charges, and the range was adequate, would you be on board with electric vehicles? Are those the only hang ups?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the recharge time was fairly short, like the same rate at which your cell phone charges, and the range was adequate, would you be on board with electric vehicles? Are those the only hang ups?
We have a long way to go to get to that point. I travel for work. I choose what airport to use to travel from maybe 4 or 5 times a month. I drive a minimum of 75 to 150 miles, 120 KM to 141 KM each way depending which airport i use. Hybrid battery last about 35 miles or 56 KM. The rest would be gas and no place to recharge. I also like Diesel Torque.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What we might see before charge times increase (or even while that happens) is an improvement in regenerative systems that's something I'd like to see which will benefit the average city driver A LOT.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any reason why the 3.0 Diesel would not come to North America ?
I mean BMW , Mercedes Audi, Porsche have similar engine. So is not emission related...
Is it marketing ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Any reason why the 3.0 Diesel would not come to North America ?
I mean BMW , Mercedes Audi, Porsche have similar engine. So is not emission related...
Is it marketing ?
Diesel is dead in the U.S. sadly. I don't expect any diesel passenger cars to be sold here after a few more years.

I read somewhere there were around 225 diesel cars(including suvs but not trucks)sold in the U.S. in January. Thanks Volkswagen!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts