Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get the petrol whilst you are still allowed.

They are out of reach of many people in Europe now due to massive taxation on petrol engined cars.

I'm only angling for the 2.0 because anything bigger (even the V6 Diesel) incurs a 2200 Euro CO2 tax at purchase and then an additional 3600 Euro annual tax here in France.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jaguar 20d epa numbers

The EPA has cleared the XE 2.0d. "Rear-wheel-drive diesel models achieve 32 mpg city and 42 mpg highway"

2017 Jaguar XE EPA Fuel Economy: When Six Is Good as Four? ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog ; see also https://www.yahoo.com/news/2017-jaguar-xe-break-car-165246904.html

I'm hoping F Pace isn't far behind.
I found this news on another F-Pace Forum yesterday. I expected the numbers to be more like 30/40. If these are accurate, it is not impressive at all.

"Hi,
Looks like JLR have finally released the MPG figures for the F Pace.

City Estimate (mpg) 26
Highway Estimate (mpg) 33
Combined Estimate (mpg) 29
Fuel tank capacity (gallons approx.) 15.9

More than the numbers themselves- it too about 5-6 weeks for the people to get their gas cars and I'm hoping that this will be the same for diesel as well.

Cheers
Kris"

·
Registered
1 Posts
F Pace Diesel MPG

I just bought one yesterday and got amazingly 43.7 for one trip and 32 for the other so my average is 37.8 Mpg. Is there any chance to upload the image of my dash digital screen?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just bought one yesterday and got amazingly 43.7 for one trip and 32 for the other so my average is 37.8 Mpg. Is there any chance to upload the image of my dash digital screen?
No need to post your dash details as the "on-board" computer (aka. Journey) is KNOWN to be incorrect (e.g. reads WAY better than actual) so in order to get an ACTUAL MPG you will need to o a manual fill and calculate by hand.

Go to the Diesel thread for more realistic "actuals".

·
Registered
38 Posts
You need to keep in mind that manual fills are not necessarily accurate either. Each pump may shut off at slightly different fill levels, and the angle of the nozzle impacts fuel shut off as well. Heck, I've had backsplash shut down fills premsturely. To be as accurate as possible you need to use the same pump at the same station with the nozzle inserted at the same angle, and the first fill does not count.
I am not seeing a discrepancy between the trip computer and my manual calculations. Well, it depends on how many significant digits you want to use! What level of discrepancy are you seeing between the trip computer and your repeat fills from the same pump?

·
Registered
132 Posts
You need to keep in mind that manual fills are not necessarily accurate either. Each pump may shut off at slightly different fill levels, and the angle of the nozzle impacts fuel shut off as well. Heck, I've had backsplash shut down fills premsturely. To be as accurate as possible you need to use the same pump at the same station with the nozzle inserted at the same angle, and the first fill does not count.
I am not seeing a discrepancy between the trip computer and my manual calculations. Well, it depends on how many significant digits you want to use! What level of discrepancy are you seeing between the trip computer and your repeat fills from the same pump?
You don't have to use the same pump or the same fuel station. What IS needed is consistancy in how you decide WHEN you have a full fill. Some people think that the 1st automatic cut off is a full fill. As you pointed out some can do that prematurely.

If you know how large your tank is (15.9 US gallons) and you are below 1/8th of a tank, you SHOULD be able to get close to 14 gallons in before stopping. If the auto-shut off occurs at 11.8 gallons, keep going as you have only filled your tank to 7/8ths full and should not record those gallons as a "full fill". The nuances are for another thread.

In general, most on-board mileage computers are off anyway from 10% to 15% from ACTUAL manual calculations. Others can read up on those details on sites like Fuelly, greencar, etc. I have not yet taken possesion of my F-Pace so I can only relay what others here have posted in other threads regarding the accuracy of Jaguar's Journey computer.

The other variable is that the person posting the 38/39MPG could actually be in Europe rather than here and they could be quoting "Imperial" gallons in which case, she/he may be accurate. The only fault would have been that they did not state that measurement variable so some here may think that she/he was referencing 39MPG US. 39 IMPERIAL Gallons is actually equal to 32.47 US Gallons

If that truly IS the case, then I stand corrected.

https://www.checkyourmath.com/convert/fuel_economy/us_mpg_imperial_mpg.php

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just went over 1200 miles yesterday. Did a 45 miles drive with average 35.6 mpg. On my way back it really empty and I drove 44 miles with average 39 mpg.
Really happy so far.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess ndabunka and I will just have to agree to disagree. I have not experienced the trip computer discrepancy that you say you have heard about, and I manually record every fill up from the time I own my cars. I do find discrepancy with the OBDII's I plug into my cars and the manual mpg calcs, but have not reprogrmmed my OBDII for the Jag. I do know that when you calculate the mpg to the tenths (ex 33.6) than the difference in how pumps are set to shut off becomes a real factor--and if you overpump after shut off that adds another level of error. I guess I believe in live and let live as far as folks reporting their mpg results--especially here in the US (I appreciate results from the rest of the world, but I realize that the different fuel measures and possible differences in flashes make the reports less valuable than US vehicle results). It's just not worth argueing over whether someone really got 33 or 39 or 44 mpg. Just go and enjoy your car. Happy driving!

·
Registered
589 Posts
You need to keep in mind that manual fills are not necessarily accurate either.
My old Dodge diesel truck owner's manual has a warning to limit yourself to only 4 restarts of the fill when the tank is topping off. I think the first fill especially can have some foam accumulated (?) on top of the fuel in the tank. I usually hit it a couple of extra times to get a consistent good fill (same with my soon-to-be-returned Jetta) and quite often get a substantial bit of fuel added after that first shut-off. There is no overflow recirc line in our diesel nozzles in California so if you really overfill it will end up on the ground. Which it never does. I think I get a very consistent full tank and the calculated gas mileage is very accurate especially compared to Dodge's faulty fuel sender units; I use the odometer rather than the gauge to monitor fuel level...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ours gets 41-42 on the hwy. On my wife's commute to and from work she gets 37-39. Hand calculated mpg and computer mpg vary .5 to 1 from each other, so, I have found the computer to be fairly accurate. Keep it out of dynamic mode, do not make jack rabbit starts, do use the cruise control. Also, stop as little as possible. Look way down the road and anticipate traffic lights. We leave the engine start/stop off, that **** thing is very annoying.

We did have to add DEF at about the 2000 mile mark. I suspect it was not topped of before we accepted the vehicle. All we got was a warning notice that the DEF was running low. Wish there was a DEF gauge. Price at the Pilot truck stop pump for DEF was 2.79 a gallon. Owners manual says not to fill from DEF pumps, so filled a container and manually filled the tank.

Many areas will start using winter diesel soon. You will notice up to a 10% decrease in fuel economy. It is the curse of winter driving.

Got the growler valve stem caps in the mail last Thursday. They look better in the box than they do on the stems. My wife likes them on the car though, so, there they will stay.

While on a long trip you will notice when the particulate filter regenerates by a decrease in instant mileage. For us on a 800 mile trip that happened about every 250-300 miles. That is more often than I like. Maybe it will get better with break-in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts