Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that cold weather has arrived in certain areas, is anyone using a fuel additive in their 20d?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

here in Europe/Germany there is already "Winterdiesel" Standard at the gas stations.

No Aditives needed.

regards,

Chapron

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am surprised that this subject has not generated much in the way of opinions as yet. This was always a very active subject on the VW diesel forums I frequented in the past.
I will probably be adding one of the Power Service diesel fuel supplements during the winter to help prevent any possible gelling or fuel filter icing on my 20d.

Reactions: Kubota

·
Registered
221 Posts
You need to add something to diesel in the winters??? I had not idea!!! Bu then, I think I can get away with it in Houston. ;)

Reactions: OneTwo

·
Registered
81 Posts
No need to add anything. The anti-gelling additives are already in the fuel. As the freezing weather approaches the additives are mixed in the fuel before retail sale. It is most commonly called "winter diesel". It will decrease mpg up to 10%.

So don't fret or sweat, it is already taken care of.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would add Power serve, or some anti gel if it falls below zero, I don't trust the stations to keep me from being stranded out in the cold.
ALSO if you fuel up in a warm climate state, and head north it is essential that you add some sort of anti gel. I had a friend fuel his F250 diesel in MO, and headed back to Il, and his truck ended up gelled up, and a tow to a heated shop overnight was the only remedy.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to add something to diesel in the winters??? I had not idea!!! Bu then, I think I can get away with it in Houston. ;)
Just don't leave Texas:)

Reactions: kris and OneTwo

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No need to add anything. The anti-gelling additives are already in the fuel. As the freezing weather approaches the additives are mixed in the fuel before retail sale. It is most commonly called "winter diesel". It will decrease mpg up to 10%.

Thanks for your input, but I think the answer depends on where you plan to operate the vehicle. As mentioned, if you vacation in say Florida, and travel up north to the border states, you may need to add a winterizing product to be safe.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With this recent batch of really cold weather, it got me thinking about the fuel in the new diesels being delivered from the dealers.
I would hope that the dealers would fill with local diesel before delivering, if not the only fuel in the tank would be from the factory in the UK, and I am not sure they would have used so called Winterized Diesel !!
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Torco Diesel Accelerator Worked pretty well in My 2013 X5. I like the Regular Torco Accelerator in my Premium fuel Cars. It makes em Purrrrr. Just have to watch the ratio. When upping the Octane the engine runs hot.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Torco Diesel Accelerator Worked pretty well in My 2013 X5. I like the Regular Torco Accelerator in my Premium fuel Cars. It makes em Purrrrr. Just have to watch the ratio. When upping the Octane the engine runs hot.
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on your past successful usage, I ordered a can of Diesel Accelerator. I don't seem to find any info on the recommended ratio of Accelerator to fuel. What did you use in your X5?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the response. I did see this chart on the website, but on looking at it, thought it was for the gasoline accelerator only, due to the reference to octane and not cetane. On one UK web site it said that one can (945ml) would treat 120L of diesel. A rough calculation makes it ~1oz per US gallon. Does that sound about right? If not, I may have to contact the manufacturer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I guess you could contact them if you wanted to play it safe. Even when I used the Regular accelerator I out a quarter can of 32ox per 8 gallons.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was going to post a question about this but as this is such a rich forum for data, it was already here.

Probably half the questions asked have already been answered here.

I live in FL and go to the Smoky Mountains a couple of times a year. Do I need to worry about adding anything to the DEF tank to prevent it from jelling?

·
Registered
286 Posts

Not really I only fuel up at a reputable local diesel station
However, my cat will not start
-0s. Here almost every day. Not usual

1 - 17 of 17 Posts