Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! I "reserved" my F-Pace R-Sport back in November. I was initially thrilled that it would be offered in diesel, but am now having some reservations. I'm concerned about power since it is a 4-cylinder, while many competitors in the US have 6-cylinder diesel engines. If I can't drive something with the Ingenium engine before my dealer officially orders my car, I may opt for the gas engine. Compared to other similar vehicles, the diesel F-Pace appears (on paper) to be slow and underpowered.

Audi Q5 TDI (6-cyl)
240 HP
428 lb-ft torque
6.5 sec 0-60

Range Rover Sport Td6 (6-cyl)
254 HP
443 lb-ft torque
7.1 sec 0-60

BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (4-cyl)
180 HP
280 lb-ft torque
7.6 sec 0-60

The Jaguar has the lowest horsepower (180) and slowest 0-60 times (8.2 seconds). I've driven the Q5 and Range Rover Sport and loved the power and acceleration. The 328d was only OK. The 20d Jaguar's torque (318 lb-ft) is only 14 lb-ft shy of the 35t's torque (332 lb-ft)...but acceleration lags significantly.

I'm also concerned about the effect VW's "Dieselgate" will have on the rest of the diesel cars in the US. If I plan to keep the F-Pace for four years, will my resale be shot? Historically diesel's have a better resale value, but I'm not sure about going forward.

Finally, I do not want to wait forever for my new car. My dealer told me yesterday (according to her "distribution agent") that the gas engine F-Paces should arrive in May with the diesels a month behind in June. I have a nagging feeling that the diesels could be delayed even further...

What are your thoughts on the 20d engine?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Forget diesel. Why even consider it? In the US of A, gas is the way to go if you want acceleration. F-Pace: 380 HP, 332 lb-ft Torque, 5.1 sec 0-60. Nuff said!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take a look at the UK forum (Jaguar F-Pace Forums - Jaguar F-pace Owners Club and Forums) where some potential buyers have test driven the 2.0d Ingenium in the XE and the 3.0d in the new XF in order to compare prior to the F-Pace launch.

Whilst I appreciate you guys may not be getting the 300bhp 3.0d Stateside the majority view is that the 3.0d is worth the extra investment as the 2.0d is not as smooth, low in power (albeit with good torque like any diesel) and perhaps a little rattly (at least on start-up).

The Ingenium 2.0 Diesel, probably in R-Sport spec, will be the majority seller in the UK and Europe nonetheless due to its value especially as a company car where tax is lower for diesel (at least for now) and economy (although that's actually very similar to the 3.0d)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Forget diesel. Why even consider it? In the US of A, gas is the way to go if you want acceleration. F-Pace: 380 HP, 332 lb-ft Torque, 5.1 sec 0-60. Nuff said!
That's exactly what I was thinking, if gas prices didn't drop like how they did I would have easily gone for diesel.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree, no diesel in NA for this vehicle. This vehicle is targeted as a high performance sports car in the configuration of an SUV. The way to go is the 380HP motor because the upgrade from the 340hp is not very much money plus you get other upgrades in the S Model. Gas mileage between the 380 and 340 should be very similar. In my opinion the diesel will depreciate much more than the gas models in NA. My mileage on average is only about 13,000k per year or for the US members of this forum, about 8,000 miles per year and I write off a portion as a business expense. Gas is somewhat cheaper in the US than Canada but not that much less, presently on average $2.00 per gallon and in Canada about .95 per litre in Canadian dollars, converted to US dollars and gallons, about $2.50 per gallon. So for me I would not even think about diesel, even though I have driven diesel rentals in Europe and know that they are relatively quiet, peppy, etc. Diesel in the Toronto area is readily available but maybe at 1/3 of the gas stations so you have to know where to get it. In Europe it may make sense but not in NA. Also the VW scandal has tainted diesel at least for now and probably for a long time.
If you are concerned about gas mileage this is not the vehicle for you. Look at the new MB GLC that comes only as a 4 cylinder at present. I looked at it recently as was very impressed with it's design, roomy and comfortable and a luxury interior. Happened to be in the US recently and the price loaded was about 60K. I am sure I will like the F Pace when mine arrives and will be seeing one in mid Feb. at the Auto show in Toronto. On the other hand I have a fully refundable deal with my dealer if I do not like the vehicle, the MB GLC is my alternative.

·
Registered
1 Posts
U.S. Diesel Options Available Right Now

Sethyt:

I'm with you -- I only want the F-Pace diesel (don't care which engine) and not the gasser.

Been researching Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel, BMW X3, BMW X5, Mercedes GLE300d, and that's about it.

The cost of the BMW 328d RWD is about the same as the entry-level Jaguar F-Pace 2.0L diesel AWD.

If Mercedes bring the GLC300d next year, then that may be an option.

Personally, I bet the VAG (VW, Audi, Porsche) are finished providing the V6 diesels in any crossover in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I still don't get the fascination a minority of buyers have with diesel. I get it outside the US, where diesel is popular. I don't get US people interested in diesel. Why? I don't see how anyone who can afford this car would be concerned about pennies of difference diesel and gasoline when it comes to the cost of fuel. If that were a concern of mine, I would get a Prius or a hybrid. I wouldn't buy a performance SUV, then cripple its performance potential with an underpowered engine. It would be the same to buy a Corvette or Porsche 911 but with a Toyota Corolla engine in it. It looks like a tiger but performs like a kitten.

To each his own, I suppose. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want. I just find it odd.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still don't get the fascination a minority of buyers have with diesel.
Have you driven the Cayenne diesel or RR Sport diesel? They are both pretty freakin' awesome. Power and (relative) economy...the best of both worlds. In other markets, you can get the F-Pace with the 6-cylinder diesel with 512 lb/ft of torque and 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. That is right in line with the gas engine performance, but would have better MPG. I would be all over that!!

But...since we can only get the smaller 4-cylinder diesel in the US, I have decided that I'm going to pass. I don't need the fuel economy that badly to sacrifice performance (which I wouldn't have to sacrifice with the larger diesel). AND...thanks to this board, I'm going to change my order to the S model. I do think I will enjoy it much more. So thanks!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If performance is what you're looking for than I think the F-Pace S will indeed make you happier. What sort of options/colors did you order yours with?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If performance is what you're looking for than I think the F-Pace S will indeed make you happier. What sort of options/colors did you order yours with?
Mine will be: Ammonite Gray with Jet Interior and Oyster headlining. I like the more traditional/luxurious feel of wood trim, so I'm getting the Satin Ash Burl. I'm keeping the standard 20" Blade wheels, though the 22" Double Helix are really hot! (Don't want to deal with the potentially rougher ride and inevitable curb rash in the city.)

Options wise, I'm keeping it pretty simple. Only the "Comfort & Convenience Package" (ventilated seats!!) and full-size spare. I would prefer the larger nav screen, but I also like the analogue gauges and a few buttons, so I'm skipping the Technology Package.

What are you getting?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What is Mpg for F Pace diesel in US standards? I cant find any info. Any one with best answer?
I went to Jaguar's UK site to look at the numbers for the cars there. Their MPGs are slightly different, so I used a unit converter and compared a vehicle here with a known MPG (e.g. the F-Type) to the MPG listed on the UK website. The European tests are slightly different than the EPA tests, so they don't match up perfectly. Here's the converter I used:

https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-mpg-to-mpgimperial.html

As a baseline test, I compared a model where we do know the MPG in the US vs what they have in the UK. In the US, the base F-Type gets 19/28/22 MPG (City/Hwy/Comb). In the UK, those numbers are 24.1/43.5/33.6 MPG (Urban/ExUrb/Comb). When run through the converter, that comes out to 20/36/28. So...the UK tests seem to estimate mileage a bit on the high side compared to the US, though the "city" number seems closest.

If you run the same logic for the F-Pace, in the UK they have released the fuel economy and the 20d model gets 49.6/62.8/57.7 imperial MPG. If you run them through the converter, they are 41/52/48 MPG US. Knowing that it skews a little high, maybe you could get mid-30s in the city and mid-40s on the highway. That wouldn't be terribly different from the BMW 328d (also with a turbo 4-cylinder diesel and similar weight) which gets 32/42 MPG. That's my best educated guess...but it is only a guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went to Jaguar's UK site to look at the numbers for the cars there. Their MPGs are slightly different, so I used a unit converter and compared a vehicle here with a known MPG (e.g. the F-Type) to the MPG listed on the UK website. The European tests are slightly different than the EPA tests, so they don't match up perfectly. Here's the converter I used:

https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-fuelconsumption-from-mpg-to-mpgimperial.html

As a baseline test, I compared a model where we do know the MPG in the US vs what they have in the UK. In the US, the base F-Type gets 19/28/22 MPG (City/Hwy/Comb). In the UK, those numbers are 24.1/43.5/33.6 MPG (Urban/ExUrb/Comb). When run through the converter, that comes out to 20/36/28. So...the UK tests seem to estimate mileage a bit on the high side compared to the US, though the "city" number seems closest.

If you run the same logic for the F-Pace, in the UK they have released the fuel economy and the 20d model gets 49.6/62.8/57.7 imperial MPG. If you run them through the converter, they are 41/52/48 MPG US. Knowing that it skews a little high, maybe you could get mid-30s in the city and mid-40s on the highway. That wouldn't be terribly different from the BMW 328d (also with a turbo 4-cylinder diesel and similar weight) which gets 32/42 MPG. That's my best educated guess...but it is only a guess.
I calculated this myself about a month ago and read many articles on the issue. I came to the conclusion of 49 MPG on the Highway. So i'm guessing your pretty accurate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone! I "reserved" my F-Pace R-Sport back in November. I was initially thrilled that it would be offered in diesel, but am now having some reservations. I'm concerned about power since it is a 4-cylinder, while many competitors in the US have 6-cylinder diesel engines. If I can't drive something with the Ingenium engine before my dealer officially orders my car, I may opt for the gas engine. Compared to other similar vehicles, the diesel F-Pace appears (on paper) to be slow and underpowered.

Audi Q5 TDI (6-cyl)
240 HP
428 lb-ft torque
6.5 sec 0-60

Range Rover Sport Td6 (6-cyl)
254 HP
443 lb-ft torque
7.1 sec 0-60

BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (4-cyl)
180 HP
280 lb-ft torque
7.6 sec 0-60

The Jaguar has the lowest horsepower (180) and slowest 0-60 times (8.2 seconds). I've driven the Q5 and Range Rover Sport and loved the power and acceleration. The 328d was only OK. The 20d Jaguar's torque (318 lb-ft) is only 14 lb-ft shy of the 35t's torque (332 lb-ft)...but acceleration lags significantly.

I'm also concerned about the effect VW's "Dieselgate" will have on the rest of the diesel cars in the US. If I plan to keep the F-Pace for four years, will my resale be shot? Historically diesel's have a better resale value, but I'm not sure about going forward.

Finally, I do not want to wait forever for my new car. My dealer told me yesterday (according to her "distribution agent") that the gas engine F-Paces should arrive in May with the diesels a month behind in June. I have a nagging feeling that the diesels could be delayed even further...

What are your thoughts on the 20d engine?
Well, if you want extended cruise range and won't be racing any supercars, the 20d would be a good choice. On the other hand, you could move to England, where you can have the 300hp V-6 in the S model F- Pace. Don't envision VW Dieselgate will have any effect on JLR diesel cars. Haven't yet. Not stopping me from considering the 20d R-Sport, and I also own a 2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI.
Cheers, Sam

1 - 20 of 139 Posts