Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was getting ready to drive back home from where I was visiting from the holidays. I was excited to get my brand new F-Pace 20d AWD out on the road again. Then I get a message that made me feel similar to getting the “blue screen of death” on a windows computer or “red ring of death” on an XBox 360. It read “Diesel Exhaust Fluid Dosing Malfunction. No engine restarts possible in 247 miles.” At this point it I had 861 miles on my car and it was 15 degrees outside. I called Jaguar Elitecare and was on a flatbed in less than an hour (kudos to their speedy response).

Everyone I talked to said “oh you’re probably out of DEF.” My response was I couldn’t be unless they forgot to fill it up at the factory. Maybe it froze, but that also seemed unlikely. In any event, it seems there was a technical service bulletin for diesel XE/XFs about software issues. Currently they are flashing the software. I just wanted to share my experience for the benefit of others. I’ll keep this updated, but has anyone experienced this too?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I read many forums , when i had the issue with 1st amber message showing incorrect dosing fluid detected and then no start after 525 miles Diesel exhaust fluid dosing malfunction. I took the car to LR the put the obd device and said i put too much ADBLUE. I argued, when the tank capacoity is fixed how can i put too much. I said the tank is not bottomless like pizza express that you can drink too much. Any way LR are only interested in getting your money . They asked me to bring the car in for diagnostic at the cost £190 for an hour. I took the car away as i had read in some forum that after addind adblue you have to run the car for some miles for the display to clear. I must have done about 30-40 miles since the error and today it disappeared by itself.
Pls guys dont panic. just add the adblue and drive on motorway full throttle so the NOx sensor flushes out to give signal back to the computer that dosing is working. and it will clear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I read many forums , when i had the issue with 1st amber message showing incorrect dosing fluid detected and then no start after 525 miles Diesel exhaust fluid dosing malfunction. I took the car to LR the put the obd device and said i put too much ADBLUE. I argued, when the tank capacoity is fixed how can i put too much. I said the tank is not bottomless like pizza express that you can drink too much. Any way LR are only interested in getting your money . They asked me to bring the car in for diagnostic at the cost £190 for an hour. I took the car away as i had read in some forum that after addind adblue you have to run the car for some miles for the display to clear. I must have done about 30-40 miles since the error and today it disappeared by itself.
Pls guys dont panic. just add the adblue and drive on motorway full throttle so the NOx sensor flushes out to give signal back to the computer that dosing is working. and it will clear.
I have only had my f-pace 3 weeks with just 900 miles on the clock when this same warning light has come up on the dashboard.
The adblue does not need filling I am seeing that this is a software fault but does seem poor after only 3 weeks only ownership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is definitely a software issue. My Jaguar XF was taken in a few weeks back for the same. JLR drained it reset software and even though not in warranty did it as a gesture of goodwill.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've received this warning twice, two years ago and one week ago. The first time we were heading out of town for Christmas, FPace fully loaded when the warning came on. Jaguar said we should have been using only Jaguar DEF which they would gladly fill for $200. They said they "cleaned" the DEF injector and the warning went away. Last week, I was on an extended trip out of town when the light came on. I drove about 100 more miles and it went off. Then it came back on again. Took it to Jaguar with about 100 miles to spare. Their initial reaction again was "have you been using Jaguar DEF?" However, it turned out that there was a service bulletin on the issue and it was a computer issue which they updated.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Jaguar said we should have been using only Jaguar DEF which they would gladly fill for $200.
Total BS (DEF is DEF) and a ripoff on the price.
Their initial reaction again was "have you been using Jaguar DEF?" However, it turned out that there was a service bulletin on the issue and it was a computer issue which they updated.
So an apology and check for $200 I assume?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
That just further reinforces how gullible dealers think consumers are. They prey on the uninformed and uneducated. They then proceed to quadruple charge you for a basic product, knowing full well that a software update is the real fix... I had an ex family member that worked at a GM dealership as a service adviser, and their bonuses were based on how many billable unnecessary services they could shove onto people in a month.....

·
Registered
4 Posts

So you will see above the error message and the example of DEF Jaguar uses by standard which is ISO 22241-1 and the DEF I am buying is ISO 22241. I have read in some forum posts people saying that they are both acceptable and the dash 1 is about storage and testing standards and ISO 22241 is quite acceptable. So my question is this, am I causing this issue because I am not buying a ISO 22241-1 DEF product? I live in Canada and this is what I have been buying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts