Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha all,
I just took delivery of my diesel Rsport. I love the FPace and the performance of the diesel. No regrets.
Can other diesel owners tell me how often your adding DEF? Can you do it yourself or does it have to be done at the dealer?The owners manual seems a little vague. Any advice is appreciated.

Brian

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Aloha all,
I just took delivery of my diesel Rsport. I love the FPace and the performance of the diesel. No regrets.
Can other diesel owners tell me how often your adding DEF? Can you do it yourself or does it have to be done at the dealer?The owners manual seems a little vague. Any advice is appreciated.

Brian
You do it yourself , as needed ! There is a DEF fill cap in where the Fuel Fill cap is ! The diesel owners on here say that the DEF lasts a certain amount of miles ! They'll be along shortly to help out I'm sure ! :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Aloha all,

Brian
Hi Brian, Congrats on your Fpace, and welcome to the forum! DEF is lasting roughly 5000 miles, give or take, but I'm never waiting that long to fill it. You will get a notice on the info screen when you have about 1000 miles left. I've seen that message once, but am usually adding it, even before that message comes up. You NEVER want to run out, as restarting a diesel that has run out of fuel is very hard (or so they tell me, never experienced that).

You can get a 2.5 gallon container at Walmart for under 8 bucks, and that amount will last roughly 3500 miles. Its takes about as much effort to fill it as it does to add windshield washer fluid, only you don't have to raise the hood! It comes with a self-venting hose, so you just screw it on to the container and pour away.

You can also buy DEF at a gas station (slightly cheaper), but the manual says not to use those pumps for risk of damaging the system. The cost is so inconsequential, its not worth worrying about.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Hi Brian, Congrats on your Fpace, and welcome to the forum! DEF is lasting roughly 5000 miles, give or take, but I'm never waiting that long to fill it. You will get a notice on the info screen when you have about 1000 miles left. I've seen that message once, but am usually adding it, even before that message comes up. You NEVER want to run out, as restarting a diesel that has run out of fuel is very hard (or so they tell me, never experienced that).

You can get a 2.5 gallon container at Walmart for under 8 bucks, and that amount will last roughly 3500 miles. Its takes about as much effort to fill it as it does to add windshield washer fluid, only you don't have to raise the hood! It comes with a self-venting hose, so you just screw it on to the container and pour away.

You can also buy DEF at a gas station (slightly cheaper), but the manual says not to use those pumps for risk of damaging the system. The cost is so inconsequential, its not worth worrying about.

Hello and I see you own a F pace that is pretty exactly like the one I want to order... What is your opinion of the 20D? My wife is looking at this vehicle for her.. I already own a Jeep Grand with the eco diesel.
Have you heard of any DPF/SCR or emissions related issues with the Ingenium diesel like the fiasco FCA had with the Eco diesel? All early ones had to have new DPF's and DEF injectors. We are not go fast people and are looking for an R Sport with Diesel for mileage... Any other build issues or quirks that you would report? We want to like this vehicle but our dealer is 2 hours away... makes us nervous... How is the engine in everyday driving? Reasonably responsive and peppy? Quiet? We like our Diesel Jeep after it got its new quirks worked out.... I can't seem to get a good flavor for FP diesels on this site... Their ratio must be fairly low... Thanks for any comments!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Have you heard of any DPF/SCR or emissions related issues with the Ingenium diesel like the fiasco FCA had with the Eco diesel? All early ones had to have new DPF's and DEF injectors.

As an owner (soon to be ex-owner) of an Audi diesel, I had the same concern initially. However, given that the EPA and CARB were all over things well before the F-Pace 20d was approved, my theory is that if any diesel engine is sure to be OK, it's this one. Delivery of the 20d was delayed compared to other F-Pace engines, and my dealer indicated EPA testing was holding it up. I heard the same when I inquired about the availability of the 2017 Jeep EcoDiesel (this was before their little snafu was announced) and got the same answer. Other manufacturers have announced delayed availability of their new diesels - Chevy (Equinox) and Mazda (CX7) among them.

So my guess is EPA is giving all the new diesels the fine tooth comb treatment, and fortunately for JLR the Ingenium was first in line. I am definitely ordering the 20d once 2018 orders open up for my dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aloha,
I've had the F-Pace for just over a week. My wife drives it daily to work. I had the Jag for a few days when we first got it and loved it. It has good pick up and torque. It's only slightly sluggish from a dead stop. This is not a go fast car for us and we were looking for fuel mileage and longevity. No regrets with the Jag diesel. So far no other issues with the Jag. A solid purchase for us.
We turned our Audi A3 TDI in due to the emissions scandal. The A3 I think had a little bit better performance but it also weighs a lot less.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Completely pleased with the 20d. More than quick enough and fast enough. No noise issues at all. had it for about 3 moths now. Limited mileage but no issues that make me anything but happy. Only a couple of opportunities to drive it hard because of our weather this winter but liked the experience. Mostly just a daily short commuter and works awesome in that role-- (thuough that does keep mileage in high 20s)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello and I see you own a F pace that is pretty exactly like the one I want to order... What is your opinion of the 20D? My wife is looking at this vehicle for her.. I already own a Jeep Grand with the eco diesel.
Have you heard of any DPF/SCR or emissions related issues with the Ingenium diesel like the fiasco FCA had with the Eco diesel? All early ones had to have new DPF's and DEF injectors. We are not go fast people and are looking for an R Sport with Diesel for mileage... Any other build issues or quirks that you would report? We want to like this vehicle but our dealer is 2 hours away... makes us nervous... How is the engine in everyday driving? Reasonably responsive and peppy? Quiet? We like our Diesel Jeep after it got its new quirks worked out.... I can't seem to get a good flavor for FP diesels on this site... Their ratio must be fairly low... Thanks for any comments!
Looks like you are getting at least some diesel feedback now. We are definitely in the minority, but seems to be growing as more people discover the Fpace.

Opinion? Very satisfied with it. My wife's daily driver, about 125 miles/day. In normal driving mode, just a slight press of the accelerator, and the car seems to set you back in the seat--but, that is all there is. Further pressing of the pedal does pretty much nothing. This is not a complaint, just acknowledging this is not a race horse, but a very functional, competent performer. Happy with the quiet ride, great mileage (about 35 combined). 9000 miles, no issues other than ICTP, but that has all been fixed.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this car.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Absolutely LOOOOOOVE mine, despite waiting 9 months from deposit to delivery (as noted above, it's bc JLR had to wade through all the stringent EPA requirements, post-VW-gate). In fact, it was Valentine's Day a year ago that I put my $500 down.

It is responsive, quiet, and a joy to drive. And it's a total fuel-sipper. I commute in heavy DC-area traffic, about 25 miles RT. Now that I have some miles on the car and the engine is starting to break in (~3500 miles), my city MPG has increase from ~27 to ~32. I get between 40-45 on the highway.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat. No issues at all.

Oh - and to keep on track :) - I haven't had to add DEF yet.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
That all sounds great to me... We are in FL for 2 months and the selection down here is MUCH greater than back in the Midwest. Probably going to go look at them in the SW FL area, not sure if I would drive one back or not. Ultimately the wifey has to like it and she is not sold on a diesel yet. That's why we need to see and drive both. She is a 75% short trip person, but I don't want to get stuck with another car that takes Premium UL any longer if poss. .80 cent premium in our area and that will only get worse. Gas will go back up again at some point and that diff may go even higher for 1/2 the mileage...:( But I also don't want a diesel that will have plugged DPF filters and diesel issues if it doesn't go 50 miles a day. That would be a wifey deal breaker. It basically has to be transparent to her other than putting different fuel in it or she is off to a 35T.....

I'm on the JEEP GC diesel forum and it is very active.. some times with problems, but mostly with tips and observations.. I realize the F Pace Diesel is a relative newcomer and the conception is that "why buy a diesel in a sporting SUV like a Jag," but we all have our reasons.... Just need some real world information to reinforce good decisions... Thank you all !

·
Registered
592 Posts
You NEVER want to run out, as restarting a diesel that has run out of fuel is very hard...
That is true in general for diesels; they need a full supply of fuel at the injector pump to get enough for ignition and it takes a while for the fuel to make it back up there when you run out. You also might suck gunk up from the bottom of the tank which can clog filters.
However, the DEF symptom is different: you get the 1000 mile warning, then I think you get a stronger warning, then if out it reverts the engine to "limp home mode" at least for a while. It will not interfere with the engine starting except that it is programmed to do so when completely out to avoid being out of emissions compliance (which is different than the "never run out of fuel" reasons).

·
Registered
286 Posts
One week old today.
Love this ride.
As stated above not a race car, but peppy enough.
Combined driving approx 37,
Breaking in though.

Have to figure out configurable dynamics.
No def yet

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have about 2500 miles on mine. I have 2 gallons of DEF sitting on the shelf.
My question is do you fill it up to the top, and how much does the DEF tank hold?
My previous VW diesels had the regen system, and my last Passat had the DEF system, but they bought it back before I ever had to add DEF to the tank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi K. The tank size is 35.9 pints (about 4.5 gallons). I never worry about getting it full. I go about 3500 miles, and then dump in the 2.5 gallon container from Walmart. I guess you could buy two of them and actually fill it, but the manual warns that it is stinky stuff and can stain your clothes, etc so it just strikes me as easier to pour a single container after 3 to 3.5k miles.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Its a little surprising if it doesn't have some kind of DEF level gage for this high level of vehicle..... Would help to know where you were before leaving on a 1000+ mile road trip ! Jeep holds 8 gal + and has an electronic gage that measures by 1/4 tank levels. 8 gal = 10K miles. I could easily drive 700+ miles a day on any given trip...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts