Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to start a thread with some recommendations of detailing supplies. Feel free to add your own favorite tools to the list!

Leather Care
Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner
Boar's hair brush for cleaner
Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner
Microfiber applicators for conditioner

Plastics & Non-Leather Care
303 Aerospace Protectant (no glossy look and no alcohol to dry out your cars interior)

Misc Detailing
Q-Tips
Boar's hair brush (dry) for small crevices

Wheel Care
AmmoNYC Plum Wheel Cleaner
AmmoNYC Brute Wheel Soap
Chemical guys wheel dressing
Boar's hair brush for wheel crevices

Exterior Paint Care
3 buckets w/ grit guards
Adams Car Shampoo (pH balanced)
Gilmour Foam Gun
Wheel Woolies
Electric leaf blower for drying paint

Polishes, Compounds & Waxes
Meguiars M105 / M205
Chemical Guys Black Light (Sealant)
Chemical Guys 50/50 wax
Porter Cable 7424xp random orbital polisher

Microfiber Towels
Zaino border less blonde (polishing only)
Waffle weave towels for windows

I've used a lot of products and these are what I currently use...my favorites list!

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These items would be great for a 15 year old classic...a new car only needs hand washing and interior dusting.
I would respectfully disagree. Especially if you let the dealer touch the car during initial detailing, your paint will be a mess. Even when the car is in transit, rail dust builds up and needs to be removed at least (clay).

May not need it for a few more years, but it just depends on your level of attention to the details. Most of wheel and exterior care stuff is an every wash deal, the rest of it is as needed (which could be once a year or less, depending on your washing techniques).

Everyone is different and has different priorities though!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would respectfully disagree. Especially if you let the dealer touch the car during initial detailing, your paint will be a mess. Even when the car is in transit, rail dust builds up and needs to be removed at least (clay).

May not need it for a few more years, but it just depends on your level of attention to the details. Most of wheel and exterior care stuff is an every wash deal, the rest of it is as needed (which could be once a year or less, depending on your washing techniques).

I do agree with you JWreck. I have become more and more involved in my cars' detailing over the last 15+ years. I am loyal to The Detailed Image website, which sells a large variety of medium and high end products. My loyalty stems from their detailed responsiveness to all my questions over the years. They have coached me in numerous ways and for that I am loyal. Plus, UPS ground shipping to me takes only one day...from Albany, NY. They are great!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wanted to start a thread with some recommendations of detailing supplies. Feel free to add your own favorite tools to the list!

Leather Care

303 Aerospace Protectant (no glossy look and no alcohol to dry out your cars interior)

Misc Detailing
Q-Tips

Wheel Care
AmmoNYC Brute Wheel Soap

Exterior Paint Care
3 buckets w/ grit guards
Gilmour Foam Gun
Wheel Woolies

Meguiars M105 / M205
Chemical Guys 50/50 wax

Microfiber Towels

I've used a lot of products and these are what I currently use...my favorites list!
How do you like the ammo stuff? Been thinking about investing in some of that.

I'm an autoglym guy. Their stuff isn't easy to get hold of over here, but it can be found.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Leather Care

Misc Detailing
Q-Tips

Wheel Care
AmmoNYC Brute Wheel Soap

Exterior Paint Care
3 buckets w/ grit guards
Gilmour Foam Gun
Wheel Woolies

Meguiars M105 / M205
Chemical Guys 50/50 wax

Microfiber Towels

How do you like the ammo stuff? Been thinking about investing in some of that.

I'm an autoglym guy. Their stuff isn't easy to get hold of over here, but it can be found.
Love the two products for the wheels that I use. I want to pick up his interior regimen but I've been waiting until I run out of my current stock. I buy large containers so it's going to be a while....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not sure about the metallic colours, but Jet black needs all the help. Thanks JWreck

·
Registered
2 Posts
(sorry if this gets double posted)

Consider me someone with no proper detailing experience. My objectives are to:
- keep the exterior protected and scratch/swirl free
- find a method simple and quick enough that I actually follow through on it

I'm hoping my Christmas stocking will include a gift certificate to Detailed Image (based on MGluck's recommendation). I like the idea of a hose-free wash but I'm still a little skeptical. I'm looking at the starter kits listed below. Please use these as search terms on the detailed image website. I don't have enough street cred to post links. :)

Washing and Drying Starter Kit
Chemical Guys Wash and Wax Kit
Hose Free Wash Kit
Optimum Wash and Wax Kit

I don't expect the car to get a lot of mud and debris. This newbie would love to get your opinions and recommendations.

In the interim, I need to get my car washed before picking my Mom up at the airport next week (in what she believes will be a new Volvo >:)). I'll need to follow the VZX-CO wash method. I was looking at Karma Hand Car Wash. Any experience, opinions, or recommendations on a wash place?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
617 Posts

Agreed! I spent $400 plus for paint correction after the dealer delivered my F-Pace; there were tons of swirl marks from what my detail guy described as a "bad buff".

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(sorry if this gets double posted)

Consider me someone with no proper detailing experience. My objectives are to:
- keep the exterior protected and scratch/swirl free
- find a method simple and quick enough that I actually follow through on it

I'm hoping my Christmas stocking will include a gift certificate to Detailed Image (based on MGluck's recommendation). I like the idea of a hose-free wash but I'm still a little skeptical. I'm looking at the starter kits listed below. Please use these as search terms on the detailed image website. I don't have enough street cred to post links. :)

Washing and Drying Starter Kit
Chemical Guys Wash and Wax Kit
Hose Free Wash Kit
Optimum Wash and Wax Kit

I don't expect the car to get a lot of mud and debris. This newbie would love to get your opinions and recommendations.

In the interim, I need to get my car washed before picking my Mom up at the airport next week (in what she believes will be a new Volvo >:)). I'll need to follow the VZX-CO wash method. I was looking at Karma Hand Car Wash. Any experience, opinions, or recommendations on a wash place?

Many thanks!
It's a complex world. Go here and watched all the videos you can. You'll be hooked by Larry's meticulous attention to detail.

https://www.ammonyc.com/det-categories/ride-alongs/

https://www.ammonyc.com/det-categories/drive/

Start with the basics videos:
https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/basic-car-wash/

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've watched most of Larry's videos. He knows his stuff.

I enjoy detailing, but I'm so picky, when I do it, it takes forever. But I think it's worth it.

I will post my favorite products when I can, but definitely recognize many of JWreck's picks. I always enjoy learning from others' experiences when it comes to detailing.

And speaking of that, here's one trick I learned with the FP. The Magic Eraser works pretty well in minimizing or removing scuff marks on the crappy hard plastic on our cars. Clean the area with some interior cleaner, use the Magic Eraser, clean off any residue with interior cleaner, and then hit it with some 303 and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Bumping this to the top. Anyone else have go-to supplies they like? In the past I used higher end Mequiars polish/wax on my Corvettes but need to start fresh now that I have a garage for the first time in 10 years. Certainly looking into the products JWreck listed to start off.

·
Super Moderator
1,866 Posts
I use a Porter Cable 7424XP orbital polisher. Takes all the hard work out of detailing a car. I like Nanotech fiber clay mitt rather than a clay bar, easier to use and you can feel when and where you have problems in the paint surface.

Their are a few sites that sell a great variety of products from all different manufacturers. I'm am not advertising, promoting or suggesting that these are the only online places to shop but they are quite amazing.

Google the following:

Autopia car care
Griots
Autogeek

·
Registered
536 Posts
I must have been lucky. I did my first wash and light wax today and my paint looks really good. I used Maguiars gold wash and their spray wax along with a soft mitt, shami, and micro fiber towels and it came out with a great shine. No paint issues at all but I may not be as picky as others.

·
Registered
173 Posts
One tool I like (because I'm lazy) is a DI filter for final rinse. No towel drying needed so I can go in and crack open a beer while it self dries. Not cheap but well worth it to me. Even the little woman was amazed the first time I used it. Best of all...I'm not inducing swirl marks by touching the paint.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts