Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has been everyone's experience with their dealership trading for a build on another lot? Is there a distance limit? Does it add to price?

I found a Prestige that is *almost* what my original build looked like (minus Adaptive dynamics, plus the vision pack) but it is sitting on a lot in VA. The dealership I am working with is in AZ. Should I bother asking the about possibly trading for it?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
What has been everyone's experience with their dealership trading for a build on another lot? Is there a distance limit? Does it add to price?

I found a Prestige that is *almost* what my original build looked like (minus Adaptive dynamics, plus the vision pack) but it is sitting on a lot in VA. The dealership I am working with is in AZ. Should I bother asking the about possibly trading for it?
Mine came from Chicago and I am in the Philadelphia suburbs. Usually you can negotiate the shipping fee into the price. The dealers are very cordial with each other and if they have had the model on the lot for a while and it isn't selling they rather hand it off to another dealer with a buyer than have it sit on the lot.

I would definitely ask and unless the Virginia dealer says no it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in the midwest and asked about an F-Pace that I found to be my perfect build on the East coast. They kinda laughed at me and said it would cost too much to transport. At a minimum $2k, which I would like to say I was willing to pay, but they did not seem interested in the process for a $60K vehicle. They said that they deal with dealers in the midwest (more local drive of 8 hours or so) on occasion, though. Instead I drove myself 3 hours to the next dealership and bought something that surpassed my build for less. Didn't even bother with the local dealership.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just received my F-Pace in SW Florida on a dealer trade from Houston. I had transportation charges added onto the price, but I was still able to negotiate a final price that I am happy with. Shipping costs just increase with the distance. I was charged $800 for the shipping, I believe.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I am in the midwest and asked about an F-Pace that I found to be my perfect build on the East coast. They kinda laughed at me and said it would cost too much to transport. At a minimum $2k, which I would like to say I was willing to pay, but they did not seem interested in the process for a $60K vehicle. They said that they deal with dealers in the midwest (more local drive of 8 hours or so) on occasion, though. Instead I drove myself 3 hours to the next dealership and bought something that surpassed my build for less. Didn't even bother with the local dealership.
I would complain to JLRNA for sure. Sounds like they weren't interested in working with you at all.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm not optimistic that dealers that far apart will work out much of a trade, although you an always ask. Conversely, unless your very happy with the price you have locally, I'd be inclined to talk directly with the VA dealer. I bought mine "remotely" and saved more than enough to cover transportation. If nothing else, it might give you a new price point to take back to stick with your original order.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I was bummed it was so far away. There was another in CA, but it has the etched aluminum veneer and with the latte interior, I just can't like the way it looks.
I guess it won't hurt to enquire when I talk to them next.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not optimistic that dealers that far apart will work out much of a trade, although you an always ask. Conversely, unless your very happy with the price you have locally, I'd be inclined to talk directly with the VA dealer. I bought mine "remotely" and saved more than enough to cover transportation. If nothing else, it might give you a new price point to take back to stick with your original order.
Does anyone know if the Tyson's Corner dealership in VA/DC area sells outside their local area? I might send them an email either way.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Hey MTGRL..I bought mine in Plano..and the Sales dude (Brad) actually delivered it up to me here in OKC on a Saturday afternoon and drove back my trade...Everything was negotiated over the phone and emails..did all the paper work on the dining room table..they'll bend over backwards to make you happy...no muss no fuss.

Reactions: Caymus

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ummmm...maybe we all need to take a look at the distance from West Texas to Virginia...a lot further than OKC to Plano, TX. Geography 101.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Ummmm...maybe we all need to take a look at the distance from West Texas to Virginia...a lot further than OKC to Plano, TX. Geography 101.
McDuck..was this for me?...I was going by her handle location as being El Paso, TX...So that would be closer to Plano TX than Tyson's corner, Alexandria VA..no?....geography 102. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would complain to JLRNA for sure. Sounds like they weren't interested in working with you at all.
I'm not much of one to complain. There was ample opportunity for them to offer up a custom order (after I sent them a list of my specifics - telling them I wanted to place an order). The quick sale and moving pre-ordered F-Paces off their lot was more appealing, I guess. I just gave the quick sale to another dealership, instead!

·
Registered
521 Posts
McDuck..was this for me?...I was going by her handle location as being El Paso, TX...So that would be closer to Plano TX than Tyson's corner, Alexandria VA..no?....geography 102. :rolleyes:
Dip, yes it was. I must have missed her posting where she indicated there was a vehicle she liked at the Plano dealership. My bad!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone! I doubt I'll be able to swing the dealer in AZ to trade with an east coast dealership....but I think I'll just keep checking to see if one pops up closer to home as well. I will still place an order for an '18 since it'll give the dealership ample time to change it for another customer if I happen to find an existing '17 that meets my specs before the change date.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks everyone! I doubt I'll be able to swing the dealer in AZ to trade with an east coast dealership....but I think I'll just keep checking to see if one pops up closer to home as well. I will still place an order for an '18 since it'll give the dealership ample time to change it for another customer if I happen to find an existing '17 that meets my specs before the change date.
My sales guys told me he can get any F-Pace from any dealer there would just be transportation costs. Also every dealership has an internet sales department and would have no issue selling to someone out of state, in fact many will pick you up at the airport and drive you to the dealership. I would reach out to you Arizona dealership, it never hurts to ask!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah, I've bought cars all over the country and both transported them and drove them home depending on circumstance. Shopping nation wide via the internet is going to get you your best price every time even if used for nothing more than to beat the local dealer about the head and shoulders with a much better offer from somewhere else. I contact many dealers (we're talking 20, 30, even more) with the same letter telling them what I want and asking for their best price. They are told they can make their best offer and earn my business. Or not. No second chances. Some wont answer, some will tell you to call them so they can try working their game, some will say MSRP, but a few will take a swing at it. Usually that's going to be you best price. You can also use brokers which can sometimes get better pricing because they have agreements with dealerships to bring in volume for that pricing. Remember that statistics tell dealers that buyers on average will not buy another car with them but they'll get the service of local owners due to their proximity regardless. This is why many treat you like the one and done they think you are and seek to milk you for every dollar. Play that game with them and they'll beat you every time because they've forgot more about manipulating buyers than we ever knew. Make them come to you and earn you business. They will, but you have to take them out of their game. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Dip, yes it was. I must have missed her posting where she indicated there was a vehicle she liked at the Plano dealership. My bad!
Don't worry DPK , if McDuck graces us with his presence at the Mid-Atlantic MEET in April with his *GORGEOUS 2017 STORM GREY BEAST* , then I will give him a SLAP on the Back of the Head for ya !!! >:)

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have had the McDuck at my local McDonalds, and when dipped in the accompanying orange sauce it is amazing. I even supersized it with the fries and drink.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Don't worry DPK , if McDuck graces us with his presence at the Mid-Atlantic MEET in April with his *GORGEOUS 2017 STORM GREY BEAST* , then I will give him a SLAP on the Back of the Head for ya !!! >:)
Sounds like y'all are gonna have a good time..wish I could be there...have fun:)

Reactions: GRVR
1 - 20 of 27 Posts