Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my FP to the dealer for its 1st time (26000km) service yesterday. They called in today said my car is ready for pick-up. I was curious where they parked my cat and if they locked it or not. So I opened the Jaguar APP :
First page I saw my car been parked in dealer's lot and properly locked, good!:p

Then I noticed they used some gas, range dropped by 70km. OK! they may let the car running during update.:eek:

Odometer shows me they drived 8km more. So I jumped to Journeys page. The list shows me 4 trips in total, 2km per trip, and 5min per trip. Then I checked trip details: they did 2 round trips from dealership to a same shop 2km away. First round trip in the morning they parked at the shop for 2.5h then back to dealership. Second round trip in the afternoon they parked at the same shop for 1h then back to dealership. Not looks like a test drive since they parked so long. I don't feel comfortable if they drive my cat for personal use. What you guys think? do they allowed to drive client's vehicle out during a regular service? No dash cam in my car so cannot really tell what happened during their trip.:confused:

Finally, the assistance page still shown me service due alert in vehicle health report. How come they forget to reset this as professionals? they don't have a check list in their hand? Not acceptable!:mad:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Can you save the data on your Jaguar APP? You can at least embarrass the **** out of them, and you might even get someone fired if it was a rogue mechanic or sales rep. They have some "SPLAININ'' TO DO!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a very similar experience just this week - I had my brand new F-Pace in for service because the auto stop/start feature was not working. They had to perform a couple different software updates to try and fix the issue so they had the car over the weekend from a Friday to a Tuesday. When I looked at my Journey's app, I noticed that on both Friday and Monday nights they took my car HOME to residential locations before bringing back to the dealership!! When I asked the service manager about this they said "we told you we needed to test drive the car" and that they have to log a certain number of miles to try and verify whether or not this particular issue has been corrected.. so it's just easier for them to drive it home in the evenings to log the required miles. I can't believe this included over an entire weekend! They cumulatively logged ~80 miles while they had the car in for service. Would you guys make a bigger deal out of this with corporate or just let it be?

·
Registered
389 Posts
The list shows me 4 trips in total, 2km per trip, and 5min per trip. Then I checked trip details: they did 2 round trips from dealership to a same shop 2km away. First round trip in the morning they parked at the shop for 2.5h then back to dealership. Second round trip in the afternoon they parked at the same shop for 1h then back to dealership.
What sort of shop was it? Is it possible they use the lot there for overflow parking of service jobs waiting for their turn? I know some dealerships around here have limited parking in their lots, and if I'd found out they had to take my car off site for holding it would be understandable to me. On the flip side, if it's a restaurant or something like that, I'd absolutely ask what legitimate service purpose the trip had served.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had a very similar experience just this week - I had my brand new F-Pace in for service because the auto stop/start feature was not working. They had to perform a couple different software updates to try and fix the issue so they had the car over the weekend from a Friday to a Tuesday. When I looked at my Journey's app, I noticed that on both Friday and Monday nights they took my car HOME to residential locations before bringing back to the dealership!! When I asked the service manager about this they said "we told you we needed to test drive the car" and that they have to log a certain number of miles to try and verify whether or not this particular issue has been corrected.. so it's just easier for them to drive it home in the evenings to log the required miles. I can't believe this included over an entire weekend! They cumulatively logged ~80 miles while they had the car in for service. Would you guys make a bigger deal out of this with corporate or just let it be?
This is a harder one IMHO. Was the issue you reported intermittent? I've had cars go on longer test drives to let them diagnose the issue. If they'd told me in advance that they wanted the service guy to take it home to log X highway miles on an intermittent issue where that could help solve it, I'd probably have OK'd it. But doing this TWICE, including over a weekend? I feel like that's out of bounds. I think you'd be within your rights to call JLNA and ask them if they have a policy on this sort of frolic and detour by service employees. My guess is they won't be happy to learn of it.

Unrelated question: You a 2000 UVA Grad? If yes we crossed paths in C'ville for sure, and you're going to be totally jealous when you see my new custom plates on the F-Pace after delivery.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you save the data on your Jaguar APP? You can at least embarrass th **** out of them, and you might even get someone fired if it was a rogue mechanic or sales rep. They have some "SPLAININ'' TO DO!
yes, the APP automatically save recent trips. I will for sure show all the gps data to my SA tomorrow when I pick my cat up.
I just realized one strange thing: the 4 trips recorded by APP are all 2km trip to a shop, none of those reflect my dealer moves my car to their service bay which should be a really quick and short distance move. I hope they did not use a third party 2km away from them for my service.

·
Registered
514 Posts
yes, the APP automatically save recent trips. I will for sure show all the gps data to my SA tomorrow when I pick my cat up.
I just realized one strange thing: the 4 trips recorded by APP are all 2km trip to a shop, none of those reflect my dealer moves my car to their service bay which should be a really quick and short distance move. I hope they did not use a third party 2km away from them for my service.

It's not unusual for these super short trips not to show up. I've had the same experience when they are moving my car from the shop to their overflow lot. I can see the parking spot change, but often the trips don't show, because they are so short.

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
if it were me and my car was clean and undamaged I'd accept their explanation and not sweat it. way more important things to worry about. i'd also be glad they really drove the thing to test stuff out.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
If the only thing you have it in for service is the ICTP update then yes, I would consider it unusual for them to be driving the car around, even short distances. But, if you have complained of a creek, or a rattle the dealership's service manager and a technician will, in fact, drive the car around to see if they can recreate the issue you have reported; if they can they then try to isolate when the sound is coming from, if they can't then you will get the dreaded, "technician could not replicate issue".

When my car was in for headliner noise and rear suspension issue they put on at least 20 miles driving it around, now is there any way for me to know if they are really just going to burger king and picking up their dry cleaning, no, but I would hope they would be afraid of the consequences to risk something like that.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
If it were me , I would try to look into WHERE they took my vehicle !

If your Service Department just so happened to *Scratch or Dent* your vehicle ,
then maybe they were taking it to their local GO-TO-GUY , to REPAIR it ???????

Of course this theory is just merely speculation ,
but there have been MANY reports on here , of vehicles getting FUDGED-UP ,
while at the Dealership !!!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
2km away? Third party service? I doubt it. More like McDonald's or Burger King is 2Km away, or their favorite place to get coffee and smokes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dealers and repair shops should drive customer cars unless explicitly permitted by customer and only after certain type of repairs that require test drive afterwords. Otherwise it's just disrespectful. I can envision that mechanics who feel that they have the right to use customer cars to run their errands probably scan contents of glove compartment, center console and make disparaging smart-ass remarks about the owner. Most of them do that anyway but at least they are not doing it while driving my car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Richard,

Part of the annual routine service is a test drive to make sure everything is running fine. I would not worry about a couple of 1 mile trips.

Normal test drive won't have a 2.5h stop involved, has to be 1 trip from dealership then back to the same dealership. Not somewhere else for 2.5h coffee break.

Anyways, will post dealership's answer here in 2h. I am now going to pick it up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a harder one IMHO. Was the issue you reported intermittent? I've had cars go on longer test drives to let them diagnose the issue. If they'd told me in advance that they wanted the service guy to take it home to log X highway miles on an intermittent issue where that could help solve it, I'd probably have OK'd it. But doing this TWICE, including over a weekend? I feel like that's out of bounds. I think you'd be within your rights to call JLNA and ask them if they have a policy on this sort of frolic and detour by service employees. My guess is they won't be happy to learn of it.

Unrelated question: You a 2000 UVA Grad? If yes we crossed paths in C'ville for sure, and you're going to be totally jealous when you see my new custom plates on the F-Pace after delivery.
Hoopics - Thanks for the feedback. It was for the auto start/stop feature never coming on in the car (I know some here might love that but I at least wanted the feature to do what it's supposed to). They claimed that it's a feature that needs the car to be warmed up for it see if it's working so they needed to log some more miles. But they didn't disclose that they'd be taking it home AND there was clearly one 8 mile trip on a Saturday over that weekend to a shopping center with a grocery store and a Starbucks..clearly a personal errand.

I called Jaguar NA Customer Service and they actually said that taking the cars home is normal policy and were very unapologetic about it. With regards to the weekend activity, they only deferred to the dealership itself if I wanted to complain about it.. but clearly the dealership will defend itself. So maybe I just need to let it go but I think I'll be taking it to a different local dealership from now on.

Richard - Sorry for kind of hijacking your post here.. I was just shocked that I had such a similar experience in the same week and figured I'd add to the discussion to see how common this is for others. We'll probably all be keeping an eye on our Journeys apps from now on while they're in for service!

And Hoopics, yep - I was an '00 SEAS grad! You'll have to upload pics of your F-Pace with the UVA plates when you get it!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Normal test drive won't have a 2.5h stop involved, has to be 1 trip from dealership then back to the same dealership. Not somewhere else for 2.5h coffee break.

Anyways, will post dealership's answer here in 2h. I am now going to pick it up.
Most dealership keep a very close eye on their mechanic's time, I doubt that they are taking 2.5 hour coffee break. Please keep us posted on what the dealer said.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had similar experience when my F pace got first service, and it was noticed that my F pace stayed 3 km away my dealership for 2 hrs.

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
Funny, I’d bet negative attitudes and assumptions towards mechanics actions are likely correlated with and in some cases cause bad dealer experiences.

Reactions: cbrehman and Jman97
1 - 20 of 31 Posts