Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Recently got a F-pace R sport and am super happy with it. I wanted to install a dual channel (front and rear) dash cam, and just wondering if anyone has done that already, or if you have any experience with them before?

I anticipate some difficulty powering the front dashcam because there is no cigarette adapter, but there IS one in the trunk.

Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I did this on my S4. But I refuse to have wires dangling, so I routed the cable under the headliner and down the A pillar into the drivers side fusebox to a switched source.

As long as the F Pace has a fuse box on either side with a switched source it should be a 30 minute job at most.

Highly recommend a dash cam with all the crazies out there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi,

Recently got a F-pace R sport and am super happy with it. I wanted to install a dual channel (front and rear) dash cam, and just wondering if anyone has done that already, or if you have any experience with them before?

I anticipate some difficulty powering the front dashcam because there is no cigarette adapter, but there IS one in the trunk.

Thoughts? Thanks!
I've looked at this as I've been just behind several "mishaps" on icy roads that would have been entertaining clips. I've used my GoPro5 as a dash cam and it produces great video, but a more task oriented solution is needed. Of the better 2 channel (front/rear) cams check out :

https://www.amazon.com/THINKWARE-2-Channel-Sensor-Built-Vision/dp/B01IUNP8S2/ref=sr_1_19?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1491350807&sr=1-19

or

https://www.amazon.com/Blackvue-DR650S-2CH-128-Recorder-Included-Support/dp/B01AMKOCEM/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491350886&sr=1-9&keywords=2-Channel+Dash+Cam

With the delicate F-Pace battery, a battery discharge protector would be advised for parking security should you hook it up to an ever powered fuse:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZPLSITE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=X6VJTVW5N8FF&coliid=I3JNHYV5HM4UXQ

I'm going with a 1 channel forward view cam:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FEE6J42/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=X6VJTVW5N8FF&coliid=IPPMJVD7HSBCK

which is currently on back order at Amazon.

The power cord can be tucked under the top of the windshield liner and routed to starboard across and down under the plastic foot panel to the fuse box near the front passengers knees. Tie it in to fuse post 6 or 7 with an "add a circuit":

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SUTYYS2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=X6VJTVW5N8FF&coliid=I3CQD07ZD09V1S&psc=1

·
Registered
118 Posts
Was just at Car Toys yesterday to ask them how much installing my Cobra dash cam with no visible wires and directly into the 12v power. $150 is what they quoted me. Usually I'd do something like this myself but I don't really feel like messing with the side air bags to run the wires and for $150 to have it done professionally, why bother?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I personally would not spend 150.00. All you need is an hour of time and an inexpensive fuse tap. Its fairly easy to make the wiring disappear for a professional install.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I ran a power wire up from the back for my radar detector, and mounted my Polaroid dash cam on the radar detector, and used the same power wire. I am still waiting for my left angle cord to come from China, so the wire doesn't stick up so high. It catches a lot of the hood, but you can see everything ahead and to the side even the way it is mounted.
It is a nice little camera, easy to use. about $50 on HSN.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a Garmin with built in dash camera, lane departure, fwd collision etc. In my MDX the Nav did not allow input while moving thus the Garmin. I plan on using the Garmin for trips to compare the FP Nav against an extremely accurate Garmin.

I will be purchasing a dash cam as I think it has great value as insurance company here seems to always go 50/50 unless you are entirely at fault.

Many to choose from and I have not decided which one yet. I have a Lease FP. Garmin just released a new dash camera: https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/cOnTheRoad-c533-p1.html

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/

The Best Dash Cam | The Wirecutter

14 Best Dash Cams of 2017 - Car Dashboard Video Cameras for Your Safety and Entertainment

·
Registered
118 Posts
Was just at Car Toys yesterday to ask them how much installing my Cobra dash cam with no visible wires and directly into the 12v power. $150 is what they quoted me. Usually I'd do something like this myself but I don't really feel like messing with the side air bags to run the wires and for $150 to have it done professionally, why bother?
It is easy to run a wire to the front from the fuse box. I had a extra empty plug in the fuse box that was powered when the key was on. just plugged in the wire with a fuse in place, and ran it to the front along the drivers side seat. I used a ground, to a bolt, right behind the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
It is easy to run a wire to the front from the fuse box. I had a extra empty plug in the fuse box that was powered when the key was on. just plugged in the wire with a fuse in place, and ran it to the front along the drivers side seat. I used a ground, to a bolt, right behind the dash.
Which fuse did you use that is switched?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Quick question, I get the need for a front camera but what is the point of having a camera for the rear? If you get rear ended it would be pretty clear by the front video and by the damage to the cars?

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Quick question, I get the need for a front camera but what is the point of having a camera for the rear? If you get rear ended it would be pretty clear by the front video and by the damage to the cars?
The same reason you want the front camera: Absolving liability from sue happy assholes.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
But how would you be liable if you get hit in the rear, I get people saying you brake checked them etc. etc. but if you have a front camera wouldn't that kind of prove everything that would need to be proven.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I did this on my S4. But I refuse to have wires dangling, so I routed the cable under the headliner and down the A pillar into the drivers side fusebox to a switched source.

As long as the F Pace has a fuse box on either side with a switched source it should be a 30 minute job at most.

Highly recommend a dash cam with all the crazies out there.
Hmmm one now has to drive very courteously and politely these days because of all the crazies out there with endless cameras catching your every move..... LOL..

Well I suppose my days of 'non-courteous' driving are far behind me as I'm getting older..

One now learns to relax, enjoy the -under the speed limit- driving, the multiple bathroom breaks (wife's mainly, of course...). Oh the joys of middle ageness.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
This remains a pet peeve of mine, along with a host of other ways the various systems in the FP do not talk to one another. For those of us with the 360 degree camera system, why can't it record to a removable SSD when the car is in motion? Put it on a 30 minute loop and let it go, only pull the drive if you want to save something caught on camera.

Not to drive this off topic, but there are a number of these, and I have been considering starting a new topic on them. For example, if my vehicle has rain sensors to automatically turn on the wipers, and sensors on all openings, and power all openings, how about if it detects rain and the sunroof is open, at least give me an alert on my smart phone, if not take the initiative to close the sunroof on its own? I had this happen a few weeks ago, a light rain shower came through, and I had inadvertently left the passenger side rear window open. I heard the rain, so called up the phone app, and sure enough, it showed the window open. Okay, how about you push that notification, or close the **** window, or alert me so I can take the liability and remotely close the window?

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
But how would you be liable if you get hit in the rear, I get people saying you brake checked them etc. etc. but if you have a front camera wouldn't that kind of prove everything that would need to be proven.
Not at all. Remember, insurance companies don't always think it's worth the time and money to litigate if someone disputes fault. I've seen a lot of 50/50 splits when it's clearly someone's fault but there's a "he said, she said" bit going on. But that won't stop them from raising your rates, so it'd pay for itself after just one incident like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not at all. Remember, insurance companies don't always think it's worth the time and money to litigate if someone disputes fault. I've seen a lot of 50/50 splits when it's clearly someone's fault but there's a "he said, she said" bit going on. But that won't stop them from raising your rates, so it'd pay for itself after just one incident like that.
Well, in this case or with the case of having a dash cam camera, there would not be a "she said" "He said", the cam will tell the whole story. So it is beneficial like that. Your dash cam can work for you and against you as well. It is a double edge thing. As for choosing a good dash cam, I have come across many reviews. I am currently using a Viofo, but I want to upgrade. I checked out many reviews from dashcamcar website some days ago. Someone recommended BlackVue as the best.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Because people Suck!!!
Out here it is a common occurrence for people to pile in a car and have a bunch of other buddies in a nearby car then they pick out cars like Jaguar, BMW, Porsche etc and stage crashes with their friends in the other car as "witnesses". They will come at you from all angles. Or maybe your rear cam could help someone behind you who was in a crash.
Also I was rear ended and this is a battle I am still fighting a camera could have helped.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts