Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted a dash cam for a while now but I don't like any on the market. I don't want a big screen on the dash with the same picture I am seeing out the windshield. I think it would be distracting.

I would like 2 channels, one for front and one for rear supplying video to a remote DVR in the glove box or under the passenger seat. I want the cameras hardwired and as small as possible which eliminates most of the ones that don't have a big screen. The only one I found that fits the bill is Chinese and got horrible reviews.

SO:

With the forward facing camera for the AEB system, I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to pick off the video and send it to a 12v DVR? (If you can, you could also send the 360deg view camera as well although they may not be aimed ideally.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, I have been looking as well and I will go with this one. Its dual CH, small has wifi, remote viewing and cloud saving ability. Also monitors battery voltage so that it does not drain your battery down to far.

BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera:

https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch/

Hope it helps, good luck

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi, I have been looking as well and I will go with this one. Its dual CH, small has wifi, remote viewing and cloud saving ability. Also monitors battery voltage so that it does not drain your battery down to far.

BlackVue DR650S-2CH Dash Camera:

https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch/

Hope it helps, good luck
Let us know how it works as it seems to hav a love it or hate it reviews on Amazon

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
What exactly are the main reasons/benefits to having a dashcam?
For those who race (legally of course) it offers a record of what the driver did right or wrong. For those who want to make sure they have a record of what they have seen whether it is just the scenery or the sight of an accident it it there for review.

I'm sure there are many other reasons of which I'm sure you are aware of.

·
Registered
115 Posts
That in and of itself could be worth its weight in gold unless you are the one at fault.
In which case the camera "disappears."

I had one set up for a while and almost got T-boned where it would have really been useful. Another time when I really needed it (a guy who was upset that I wasn't driving fast enough in the left lane - 75mph - as I was overtaking a car in the right lane on 470 passed me on the right, then cut me off and slammed on the brakes, almost sending me into the ditch at over 75mph), it wasn't connected. Had it been running I would have filed a police report and provided the footage on the microSD card. Dude would have been in trouble. I couldn't stop as I was heading out on a week-long camping trip. I had it set up to not record my speed or location.

The problem with the battery powered ones (instead of a capacitor) is that when it gets really hot inside the car, it stops working. Even though I had a sunshade in place, tinted windows, and kept the rear windows cracked during the day, when I'd come out to my car after work, the camera wouldn't turn on for 5-10 minutes until the cabin was cool enough for the battery to operate. The 3M tape would also lose grip in the heat and the camera would fall off the plastic rear view mirror housing I had it attached to (couldn't put it on the glass because then the sunshade would just trap the heat between the windshield and the camera).

I want a new camera for my F pace, but I want one with a capacitor that won't crap out in the heat or cold. I am not willing to attach and detach the camera every time I get in the car, and although I park in a garage at night, it still gets cold enough to render a battery unit inoperable. They are best when you can plug them in and forget about them and let them just do their thing. Out of sight, out of mind, until you need it.

Reactions: klimchuk

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I think if you're at fault and you make the camera footage "disappear", you're tampering with evidence and that's a convictable charge. I guess if they find out you had a camera, anyway.

I have mine in my S4 set up to make sure when someone does something that could be an insurance 'back and forth', I have proof. EX: I had a green light, car running opposite direction as me turned left on yield. I had to swerve and grazed a curb, gutting up a wheel. I had to turn around and hunt this person down, force them over and get it sorted from there. I bought a dash cam that same day. Fortunately she admitted fault, but had she not, it would have been easy for her to tell insurance "Oh what? No I had a green, he was going too fast" or some other lie and then it would have likely gone to my insurance.

Anyway, looking at one for our F Pace now. I want it to fit in the cutout on the left side. I run a Z-Edge Z3 and it shoots 2k video. Quite crisp and very good quality, but a little big for the F Pace. I don't mind it so much in my S4 but we're looking for something easily concealed. Our front windshield is tinted in both cars, so I'm also avoiding anything that uses adhesive that CAN'T fit in the cutouts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
anyone mounted a rear cam and can share how you routed the wires w/ hopefully some pics? e.g. roof or bottom, trunk/rear window trim wire hiding spots, etc...

i'm routing mine and the rear and looking at the rear window trimming it seems a bit tricky to route the wires at the sides of the trunk/rear window

·
Registered
247 Posts
Finally got one of these. Installed a Kdlinks x1 about a week ago and like it so far. I mounted it up high near the passenger side of the rear view mirror so it's completely out of my field of view. The cord was also long enough to be routed all the way to the back seat 12v socket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im using THINKWARE X500D whick is most expensive dash cam but i love it.
Well, i recommend you to go with this dash cam box guide if you need dual dash cam, affordable, best budget or any dash cam that meets your requirements. They mentioned unbaised and authentic pros cons of all products.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts