Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or may have had a creak in or around the dash area where the steering wheel enters the dash? I have it now, as mentioned in a few forum posts on problems. It went away for a short period of time after my service, but it's back and getting louder. It happens when ever the suspension or body flexes. For instance as I roll ever so slowly up my driveway, you can hear the creak. It sounds like plastic parts rubbing or flexing ever so slightly. Here is a video of the creak sound (really done for Audio purposes only), with some other Ambient sounds from running the vehicle. The creak is audible throughout the video, but it's most audible, without other sounds, between 20sec and 30sec in the video.

Please let me know if you have this issue and had it fixed. I've been working in the driveway for the last hour trying to figure out what's causing it and best I can tell it's body flex causing something else to make the noise. If I get a better audio file of the sound in the driveway I'll post it here as well.

Thanks for letting me know if you've had this and got it fixed. I'm hoping to give the Jag dealership a little direction on the fix so they aren't ripping every inch of my dash apart and probably creating a bunch of additional issues.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah I have that as well. It's vey annoying. Sometimes I get it on my sunroof as well.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is video # 2 just rolling up and down my driveway. Sorry about the seatbelt alarm that kicks in a few times.

Again, just trying to see if any of you have had this creak and either figured it out or had the dealership figured it out.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Anenoso, I am taking it in for this and a couple other things (including my door dent the dealership did) next Monday. If I figure it out before then, or the dealership figures it out I'll let you know. That is unless we get lucky and someone has the same thing and had had it fixed and lets us know how they quieted this creak, it is very annoying!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also have that same rattle/creak from my vehicle. I took the vehicle in once before for this (at the same time they changed my suspension coils) as well as a clicking noise from the drivers seat. The service department believed it to be from the drivers seat and took it apart and put new parts in to see if it would quiet it down. Unfortunately, it did not work and both the creak and clicking noise is still present. The suspension noise is fixed though from the new coils at least! The closest dealership to me is 130 miles away, so it is more difficult for me to get to the dealership frequently. I am planning on contacting them this week to see if they have any other thoughts. I would definitely like to know what your dealership service techs say.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the investigating I did today in my driveway, which is just unlevel enough side to side to cause the creak, it's clearly not the driver seat. It's coming from the dash area but it is being caused by nothing that is visible. I've pushed on all of the external pieces of the dash and center console in an attempt to identify the offending part, and holding or pushing on all of those parts did nothing to change the sound. I also ran with the door open and closed and no changes, so it's not the seals there either. Glove box, open or close, no difference. I also ran with the sunroof open and closed and no change (even though I didn't feel it was coming from this area either.) Its either the metal support structure for the dash, steering column of something else, perhaps even something on the other side of the firewall (like perhaps the suspension itself). I couldn't check outside of the car to see if the sound is more audible from there, but from how clear the sound is inside the vehicle I gotta believe its in the dash on the driver side. We'll see, I don't really notice it when I'm driving by myself since i tend to pump up the volume on the meridian, but when I'm traveling with folks and keep the stereo lower than 1/3 volume is it very prominent.

·
F Pace Expert
2,561 Posts
Are you sure you aren't hearing:

Reference
SSM72788
Models
F-PACE / X761
Title
F-Pace Glove Box rattle
Category
Body
Last modified
23-May-2016 00:00:00
Symptom
107000 Interior Trim
Attachments
FPace Glovebox Attachment.pdf
Content
Issue:** Customer may report a Rattle from the glove box area on F-Pace Vehicles
Cause:* No anti rattle tape fitted in specific areas
Action:* If anti rattle tape is not present, as in picture 2 & 3, apply anti rattle tape as per picture 4. Use anti rattle tape that is present in squeak and rattle tool kit

Attachments

Reactions: Kennoz

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did you try adjusting the steering wheel to try to isolate the issue? All the way in, out, up down.... is it worse/better in any of these locations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me, the sound also seems isolated to the dash on the drivers side. Opening and closing the glove box makes no difference and the sound is loudest on the driver's side. Also, I tried to adjust the steering column all the way out and in without any change in the sound as well as holding certain parts of the dash to see if that was the source without any change in the noise...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hate rattles, groans and squeaks in my vehicles. Had a 2010 first model year and it started rattling and squeaking at about 1000 miles. Being first MY dealer didn't have much experience with issues. Took four trips to the dealer to stop the sun roof from squeaking. Then developed a rattle in the rear. So tough to isolate where it actually coming from. I rode in the rear cargo area while my son drove and the rear rattle then sounded like it was coming from the front. Turned out to be a loose channel in the passenger side door, but nobody would even have guessed that was where the sound was coming from.

Good luck and hopefully my F-Pace will not have the same issues.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Anybody having issues with the speakers making the doors rattle or thump on he passenger side? Trust me, I know a different between base thump and what I'm hearing now. Sometimes it's just rattles but sometimes it's rattles and like the speaker almost just hitting the door. Only noticeable on the right side of the car.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you sure you aren't hearing:

Reference
SSM72788
Models
F-PACE / X761
Title
F-Pace Glove Box rattle
Category
Body
Last modified
23-May-2016 00:00:00
Symptom
107000 Interior Trim
Attachments
FPace Glovebox Attachment.pdf
Content
Issue:** Customer may report a Rattle from the glove box area on F-Pace Vehicles
Cause:* No anti rattle tape fitted in specific areas
Action:* If anti rattle tape is not present, as in picture 2 & 3, apply anti rattle tape as per picture 4. Use anti rattle tape that is present in squeak and rattle tool kit
VZX,

Yes I'm sure it isn't that, I've run with the Glove box open and closed no change in the creak. It's less of a rattle and more of a creak to be honest.

ddeliber, I also tried adjusting the steering wheel to a bunch of different locations and no change as well.

Anenoso, my speakers do rattle a bit but only when the stereo is turned up and all 4 doors are open. I don't hear rattles when the doors are closed. So i'm less concerned about that.

Again, this creak is annoying, but it will get sorted and it's kind of what I expected going into a brand new car. I did this a few times, with a Taurus years ago, Mustang GT, Honda Accord, Infiniti M45 and all of those vehicles has some sort of squeak/rattle/creak issue (other than the M45), that needed to be sorted. This is the only one I'm really hearing from the F-Pace now, along with what is potentially that Creak you hear from the rear that isn't the springs and has to do with the cross brace, but that one is present very infrequently. I only had it over speed bumps right now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Greetings,

Dash Rattle:

I had this happen and the repair involves sliding a small piece of foam into the plastic cover just over the dash. You will notice that the plastic is loose just above the dash. You can slightly pull the dash cover down and see what I'm saying. The dealer mechanic fixed it and its perfect now. :)

Best regards

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rock, thanks of for the info. I don't know if that piece is it though, I noticed that piece being lose, but when I hold that piece I still get the creak. Either way, I will let the dealership know about your fix and see what they find.

Thanks for responding. Hopefully, that will be it and easy to fix!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Does anyone have or may have had a creak in or around the dash area where the steering wheel enters the dash? I have it now, as mentioned in a few forum posts on problems. It went away for a short period of time after my service, but it's back and getting louder. It happens when ever the suspension or body flexes. For instance as I roll ever so slowly up my driveway, you can hear the creak. It sounds like plastic parts rubbing or flexing ever so slightly. Here is a video of the creak sound (really done for Audio purposes only), with some other Ambient sounds from running the vehicle. The creak is audible throughout the video, but it's most audible, without other sounds, between 20sec and 30sec in the video.

Please let me know if you have this issue and had it fixed. I've been working in the driveway for the last hour trying to figure out what's causing it and best I can tell it's body flex causing something else to make the noise. If I get a better audio file of the sound in the driveway I'll post it here as well.

Thanks for letting me know if you've had this and got it fixed. I'm hoping to give the Jag dealership a little direction on the fix so they aren't ripping every inch of my dash apart and probably creating a bunch of additional issues.
Yes I have this issue as well . It seems to be coming from where the console meets the dash at the very front ( tip , right above or below the top of your steering wheel depend on how high or low you have your steering wheel . ) . I think it's here because when I hearead it is grab that part and it no longer happens . I will add a pic of the spot in which I am talking about when I get out of work .

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just dropped mine off again... SA said he'll have an audio installation place add some insulation to all speakers. I also got some wind noise on my driver window when going over 80mph. Weird but Jaguar Land Rover does a terrible job with QA on their cars. I hear the same rattles in the Evoque.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine has cracking noise from front driver seat. since today morning, I am hearing cracking noise from sun roof area. It's so annoying. Sun roof work fine but that cracking noise makes me worried about over all quality. I also have rear suspension cracking noise. it happens at lower speed only when I am starting from full stop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Far out those creaks sounds very bad!

I get a creak on left side above rear door near the roof when I leave my driveway.
It's at a strange angle when I exit and 99% of the time it creaks when I come home and leave.....

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Creaking when you are really flexing the body at nasty angles is not unheard off. However, the creak here is going up a paved pretty much level across uphill driveway. there a slight undulations of maybe 1 inch or so side to side. Nothing outrages and that is why this needs to get fixed. It's constantly creaking as long as the car is moving.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've got it too. Also, the stereo speakers and the humming and rattling when you turn up the sound - if you open the sunroof and the windows the sound doesn't even go loud enough to enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts