Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my '17 F-Pace Prestige (v6s) is going through buyback due to various screw ups, I have to give credit where i'ts due.

I'm looking at other makes/models as I'm pretty fed up the way Jaguar/Dealership has been handling my issues.

Looked at the Audi Q5/SQ5 (New and older), and new VW Tiguan, Porsche Macan, Porsche Cayenne (used to stay in my price range), Mercedes GLC/GLE, Acura RDX SH-AWD, Nissan Murano BE, Land Rover Velar.

Yes, I've been busy. ;)

I can honestly say, that for the price the F-Pace is configured at (2.5t/3.0t(4cyl turbo and 6cyl supercharged versions) the F-pace beats them all.

No other car offered the combination of everything the F-Pace offers at various price points.

For example :
The Audi SQ5 has about the same acceleration, but much smaller inside and boring exterior. The S5 is much slower, the stereo does not match the ugraded surround sound Meridian offers.
The Velar is like driving a boat, even in dynamic mode and the interior , albeit very pretty to look at, gets bad sunglare as well as is a finger magnet.
The Porsche macan is slower (unless you get the Turbo model) and MUCH smaller inside. The seats are not as comfy either. (I am 6'4", 205Lbs).
The Porsche Cayenne was good, until you look at the 100 buttons inside and the extremely lacking tech options it has and the poor quality LCD displays used. They don't even have full wifi in the car until '18 models).
the VW looked amazing inside, most room for the back seats, best price, but the performance was DANGEROUSLY unresponsive. I mean there is a delay of 2+seconds after flooring it until the car 'kind of ' starts to accelerate. Lot of others are complaining about this 'feature' VW has in their new 4cylinder cars also on the forums.
The Acura RDX SH-AWD looks great on paper, but the interior layout is weird how it looks. Even though the engine is rated at higher than most 4Cylinder Turbo engines, it does not feel like it at normal driving unless you floor it and it buzzess too much for a $47K car.
The Nissan Murano is the cheapest of the bunch, fully configured with the Black Edition, looks great, has AMAZING seats, but minimal interior tech options and very dated nav system.
I did not look at Mercedes, because their AWD systems are horrible compared the Audi and Jaguar and I know people who are grounded with their 4Matic benzes once more than 3" of snow is on the ground.

So I am in a dilemma, that I might have to get another F-Pace if I get a decent deal on one after my BuyBack :mad:.

Throughout the past 2 months of driving various loaners, even the 4cylinder 2.5t F-Pace felt more responsive and felt better at driving than any other 4Cylinder I drove lately. UGh....Also looked better.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I went through this when shopping for my F-Pace S. We looked at Q5, SQ5 (pre-2018 refresh), Merc GLC, GLE, Jeep GC, etc. The F-Pace was dynamically better than anything I drove and had more space than most (except JGC/GLE).

I've been comparing vehicles that compete at the F-Pace SVR level of performance and the SVR is still hitting the same sweet spot of price/performance/size.

Model - 0-60 Time - Starting Price

F-Pace SVR - 4.1s - $79.900
Mercedes GLE 63 S Coupe - 4.1s - $113,000
BMW X5 M - 4.0s - $101,700 (Updated model coming soon)
BMW X6 M - 4.0s - $105,700
Porsche Cayenne Turbo - 3.9s - $124,600

·
Super Moderator
1,867 Posts
Had a Mercedes GLK with 4-Matic. In all the years I owned it never had a problem in the snow.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Gabe B ,
you are going to have a very hard time finding anything ,
that is as *EASY ON THE EYES* , as the F-PACE !!!:D

I'm just merely stating FACTS here !!!>:)

I wish you all the best , in your decision making process !!!;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I really liked the GLC 43 coupe (i know, not ACTUALLY an AMG), and it had plenty of power and handling.

If I had it to do over, that's what I'd do instead of the F Pace.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Take a look at the Volvo XC60 with Polestar tuning package and air suspension.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a look at the Volvo XC60 with Polestar tuning package and air suspension.
I won't touch Volvo as they are having issues with the new generation 4Cylinders. I could get them and BMW dirt-cheap as I consult for them both.

I have to say though, even though it's slower, the Land Rover Discovery Sport is peaking my interest. Have not looked at one seriously yet though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I won't touch Volvo as they are having issues with the new generation 4Cylinders.

Could you elaborate, either here or via PM?

·
Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
AMG GLC63S Coupe! A few certified examples out there now for fair discounts.

·
Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
Also, the Macan GTS is faster than the F Pace S by a fair margin. Only the S or base model is the same or slower.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Gabe B,

Zero to sixty times aside, I think your write up is right on with the comparisons. I think you probably got a Friday afternoon built car, and perhaps another F-Pace would not be a troublesome as the one that is getting bought back. Good luck with your decision, but I would seriously think about going with another F-Pace.

Another thing to think about outside of zero to sixty times is the handling of the AWD system. The F-Pace is rear wheel drive biased most of the time, like the Porsche and BMW options, VW, Acura, Nissan, Audi are I believe more front wheel drive biased most of the time. Not sure about Merc, but overall a rear wheel drive biased system will handle better on dry roads in the curves and is in my opinion more sporty overall. Acura’s SH-AWD system is awesome and I had a RL with one of the first version of that system, but IMHO it doesn’t compete with the system in the F-Pace.

Reactions: bpmba

·
Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
Gabe B,

Zero to sixty times aside, I think your write up is right on with the comparisons. I think you probably got a Friday afternoon built car, and perhaps another F-Pace would not be a troublesome as the one that is getting bought back. Good luck with your decision, but I would seriously think about going with another F-Pace.

Another thing to think about outside of zero to sixty times is the handling of the AWD system. The F-Pace is rear wheel drive biased most of the time, like the Porsche and BMW options, VW, Acura, Nissan, Audi are I believe more front wheel drive biased most of the time. Not sure about Merc, but overall a rear wheel drive biased system will handle better on dry roads in the curves and is in my opinion more sporty overall. Acura’s SH-AWD system is awesome and I had a RL with one of the first version of that system, but IMHO it doesn’t compete with the system in the F-Pace.
Wrong, Macan is RWD biased, certainly not FWD biased. ?

Obviously 0-60 is the most important stat for a sports SUV! Gotta make it to the next stoplight quicker than the next person, on the way to the mall!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think Audi is going to hit hard with the Q8 (the "poor man's" Urus), the upcoming Q6, and likely SQ8, SQ6, and maybe even an RSQ8, RSQ6, etc. I predict heavy sales/popularity of these new models.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Probably in the least most popular category...The Murano... BUT

My wife had one for 6 years and was the most comfortable, least problem, great features, AWD vehicle we ever had. Never went back to the dealer even once, in or out of warranty. Would not hesitate to buy another. Dependability and NO PROBLEMS climbs higher on my priority list every day...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Probably in the least most popular category...The Murano... BUT

My wife had one for 6 years and was the most comfortable, least problem, great features, AWD vehicle we ever had. Never went back to the dealer even once, in or out of warranty. Would not hesitate to buy another. Dependability and NO PROBLEMS climbs higher on my priority list every day...
I know what you mean here. My wife has a QX60 (Infiniti being an up-badged Nissan), and other than a bad passenger airbag sensor that failed in the first six months, it has been utterly problem and drama free for nearly four years now. It also has the most comfortable seats of any car I've ever driven. BUT with the slushy CVT and comparatively underpowered 6 it accelerates like a Royal Caribbean megaship. I've heard the new QX50's are meaningfully better, but they still pair their cool new variable displacement engines with a CVT. If they ever mate that engine up to a proper gearbox, the new QX50 would have to be made part of this discussion.

Otherwise, I agree with OP's assessment of the market segment. It's exactly how I ended up in an F-Pace, after almost putting money down on an order for a Volvo XC60. But the driving dynamics of those two cars are night and day different. I've rarely been more disappointed by a test drive of a car I thought I'd love than I was of the XC60. The specs were perfect. The look was perfect. The price point was perfect. And then I drove it and, yaaaaaawn.

So yeah, OP, I can't say you'd be wrong for coming back to an F-Pace. I won't say my 2018 has been problem free (I had a door handle failure, and the ICTP still has some tolerable Gremlins), but no SUV short of a Cayenne sport or Macan GTS drives the way that it does. And I prefer the look and feel and features of the F-Pace to both of those.

Reactions: PA-FPace-F

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wrong, Macan is RWD biased, certainly not FWD biased. ?

Obviously 0-60 is the most important stat for a sports SUV! Gotta make it to the next stoplight quicker than the next person, on the way to the mall!

I must be busting 5 seconds in S-S mode using paddle shifters.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ditched our GLE43 Coupe for the F-Pace. We had it loaded out with the Designo Package and every option... it was a lease and I was able to get out of it and so glad I did. Not nearly as nimble as the cat at all and the cat has quite a few little features the Merc didn't.

I wouldn't get the coupe variant again - our trusty ML350 is the workhorse in the house, the E63 is the beast, and the Jag is the best combo of them all actually.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts