Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please do not shoot the messenger on this one, I'm disappointed in this change as well but I'm only relaying what I have heard.

Jaguar has issues a major change in warranty policy. Squeaks and creaks will only be covered for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles. After that point it will be the owner's cost to diagnose and fix - EVEN IF THERE IS A KNOWN SSM. This will apply to everything including squeaking brakes and will cover all JLR vehicles. Essentially they have just unilaterally shortened the warranty in this area to 12 months. There are no indications this will apply to other things like software updates but it is a lousy move by Jaguar.

So, if you have any concerns about weird noises in your vehicle and you are under 12 months/12,000 miles get thee to the dealer and document with video.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It'll be interesting to see if they try and apply this to vehicles purchased prior to the change in policy. They're free to change it for cars they sell moving forward -- nothing obligates them to offer this kind of coverage -- but if people bought cars from a brand with known creak and rattle problems with the expectation that they'd be fixed, and now they are getting billed for them due to a post-purchase contract change, that's legally troublesome for JLNR.

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'll be interesting to see if they try and apply this to vehicles purchased prior to the change in policy. They're free to change it for cars they sell moving forward -- nothing obligates them to offer this kind of coverage -- but if people bought cars from a brand with known creak and rattle problems with the expectation that they'd be fixed, and now they are getting billed for them due to a post-purchase contract change, that's legally troublesome for JLNR.

I have not looked but I'd be surprised if somewhere in their fine print there isn't a clause that says they can change coverage at will.

Reactions: EagleJag

·
Registered
933 Posts
How about making a car that doesn't squeak or rattle? Have they thought about trying that instead of screwing over their customers who paid a premium for a car that (in quite a few cases) has the fit and finish and build quality of a Yugo?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I assume they mean 12 mos/12,000 miles whichever comes first? This could be a problem as mine is approaching the 6 month mark and only has 96 miles on it :|

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
A bit ironic, Jaguar is basically admitting that the build quality of their vehicles is costing them so much post-sale that they are no longer willing to foot the bill. I will be looking at an XE/XF next year and if the build quality is anything like that of the F-pace I will be switching brands- the only reason I have accepted the F-pace is because my service department has been great at addressing all of the issues I have had.

I would also assume that there will be A LOT of angry owners when their service departments tell them that they are responsible for the atrocious build quality of their car.

·
Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
A bit ironic, Jaguar is basically admitting that the build quality of their vehicles is costing them so much post-sale that they are no longer willing to foot the bill. I will be looking at an XE/XF next year and if the build quality is anything like that of the F-pace I will be switching brands- the only reason I have accepted the F-pace is because my service department has been great at addressing all of the issues I have had.

I would also assume that there will be A LOT of angry owners when their service departments tell them that they are responsible for the atrocious build quality of their car.
This.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Please do not shoot the messenger on this one, I'm disappointed in this change as well but I'm only relaying what I have heard.

Jaguar has issues a major change in warranty policy. Squeaks and creaks will only be covered for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles. After that point it will be the owner's cost to diagnose and fix - EVEN IF THERE IS A KNOWN SSM. This will apply to everything including squeaking brakes and will cover all JLR vehicles. Essentially they have just unilaterally shortened the warranty in this area to 12 months. There are no indications this will apply to other things like software updates but it is a lousy move by Jaguar.

So, if you have any concerns about weird noises in your vehicle and you are under 12 months/12,000 miles get thee to the dealer and document with video.

Yep, they dropped this one on me during my last visit. I was reported a door squeak in the right rear passenger door and while they did try to debug it, after throwing an hour at it they told me about this new 12 month thing for squeaks and rattles. I was like WTF show me where it says that in the bumper to bumper warrantee and they emailed me the new details a few hours later.

Can't say I blame them, as they can end up spending a lot of money with the dealers chasing solutions for these issues. Best fix is to get it tight from the factory at the start.

Reactions: blackkitty

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I was like WTF show me where it says that in the bumper to bumper warrantee and they emailed me the new details a few hours later.

You say they "emailed you the NEW details" ???

Does this mean that they couldn't find anything in our pre-existing warranty's ,
that would allow them to NOT have to cover any *Creaks & Rattles* ???

If there is NOTHING in the "fine print", that works in their favor ,
then I signed a contract with a *5-Year Bumper to Bumper Warranty* ,
and I expect any *Creaks or Rattles* to be covered for *5-Years* !!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
This would be interesting for them to enforce on sold-cards. I am not sure they could do it, and if they tried and you took them to court you'd probably win. But... they may be counting on people to say "oh, that sucks.. ok I guess I'll pay for it".

I haven't had a squeak or rattle yet (<knock> <knock> => Wood) but if one developed and it was a KNOWN problem, I'd be pissed if they didn't fix it.

All that being said, it's insane that they gave this type of warranty in the first place for longer than 12 months. I mean... I think any car will eventually develop some noises? I dunno, my experience with the luxury car line isn't very long so perhaps in these 60k+ cars they don't (assuming they do something extra special when building).

As for the example of squeaking brakes, that's usually a brake issue (pads are thing, uneven wear, etc) and can/gets fixed with new parts. That I would imagine would be covered unless specifically pointed out in the warranty it isn't.

I guess I need to take a look at what all the warranty and maintenance stuff really entails...

·
Registered
406 Posts
The industrial norm for body panel rattle and squeaks is usually one year, my Jaguar SA info me of that a while ago. I had Mercedes, Audi, BMW and Lexus, with the exception of Lexus, they have all been one year coverage on rattles. Lexus is more like one year and it is on a good will basis from there on. I don't think there is anything on the bumper to bumper regarding rattles. It is an area that is not well covered on most warranties. Brake squeaks on the other hand is a totally different subject, that might be due to faulty parts, I do not see how Jaguar can enforce a one year brake squeak policy.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The industrial norm for body panel rattle and squeaks is usually one year, my Jaguar SA info me of that a while ago. I had Mercedes, Audi, BMW and Lexus, with the exception of Lexus, they have all been one year coverage on rattles. Lexus is more like one year and it is on a good will basis from there on. I don't think there is anything on the bumper to bumper regarding rattles. It is an area that is not well covered on most warranties. Brake squeaks on the other hand is a totally different subject, that might be due to faulty parts, I do not see how Jaguar can enforce a one year brake squeak policy.
I don't think most people would have an issue with a one year/12k mile limit on squeaks and rattles if the car is built with a semblance of quality. The problem that Jaguar has is that as soon as you drive their car off of the lot you almost immediately notice a noise that shouldn't be there. At least the big three, especially Lexus, has more respect for luxury buyers and eliminates most of the rattles and squeaks that us F-pace owners constantly deal with.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have not looked but I'd be surprised if somewhere in their fine print there isn't a clause that says they can change coverage at will.
Interesting issue. My first thought was that they couldn't change coverage for existing vehicles without the prior consent of the owners, which obviously would never happen. So either there are terms in the warranty that allow them to do this (I haven't read it), or it is permitted in limited circumstances under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Either way, I think it would at least require written notice to all affected customers, no? Legality aside, it's a bad policy for the reasons everyone has stated above.

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think most people would have an issue with a one year/12k mile limit on squeaks and rattles if the car is built with a semblance of quality. The problem that Jaguar has is that as soon as you drive their car off of the lot you almost immediately notice a noise that shouldn't be there. At least the big three, especially Lexus, has more respect for luxury buyers and eliminates most of the rattles and squeaks that us F-pace owners constantly deal with.
OK, at least in my case, this is a little overstated. I had one rattle only and that was just the plastic panel on underside of the instrument panel area and fixed in five minutes. To say all of us constantly deal with rattles/squeaks is hyperbole. I’m of two minds on this; a) sorry to see coverage reduced given the power of the promise of 5yr/50 all coverage (or most). B) from JLR perspective, what if an owner lives at the end of a bumpy dirt road, really realistic to expect them to cover every rattle that develops over 5 years?

If it is a manufacturing problem then in all likelyhood it would manifest in first 12 months or 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Some of my old BMW and Acura had its share of issues with rattles as well, not so much with Mercedes and Lexus. I think I knew what I was getting into when I bought a first year production Euro car and have learn to accept it.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Some of my old BMW and Acura had its share of issues with rattles as well, not so much with Mercedes and Lexus. I think I knew what I was getting into when I bought a first year production Euro car and have learn to accept it.
I absolutely agree. I was willing to accept the fact that the F-pace was a brand new design, and it would come with its fair share of issues. But, would I have bought the car if I was told that the 5/year 60k mile warranty would be shrunken down to 12k/1 year? Absolutely not, it is a beautiful car... but not that beautiful.

My service department was so willing to work with me to fix all of my issues thus far. But I still have a ton of creaking coming from the rear suspension area which is now my responsibility to pay for if I want a car that doesn't sound like it is going to explode when I drive over a small bump. Jaguar keeps shooting itself in the foot with the decisions they make.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I absolutely agree. I was willing to accept the fact that the F-pace was a brand new design, and it would come with its fair share of issues. But, would I have bought the car if I was told that the 5/year 60k mile warranty would be shrunken down to 12k/1 year? Absolutely not, it is a beautiful car... but not that beautiful.

My service department was so willing to work with me to fix all of my issues thus far. But I still have a ton of creaking coming from the rear suspension area which is now my responsibility to pay for if I want a car that doesn't sound like it is going to explode when I drive over a small bump. Jaguar keeps shooting itself in the foot with the decisions they make.
I will have to read my warranty book again, but I believe there is no language covering any body panel rattle and squeaks, just defective parts and workmanship. I know its a grey line, but we are talking about an object that travels down the highway at a 100 mph and riding over our god awful roads with big pot holes. This object is made up of thousands of parts and being held together by screws, snap fasteners and glue. After sometime, it will develop rattles. If you report your rattle before one year expires, the dealer usually will continue to work with you to fix existing rattles even after one year.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I will have to read my warranty book again, but I believe there is no language covering any body panel rattle and squeaks, just defective parts and workmanship. I know its a grey line, but we are talking about an object that travels down the highway at a 100 mph and riding over our god awful roads with big pot holes. This object is made up of thousands of parts and being held together by screws, snap fasteners and glue. After sometime, it will develop rattles. If you report your rattle before one year expires, the dealer usually will continue to work with you to fix existing rattles even after one year.
Had my Lexus for over 2 years, not one issue. Had a Mercedes before that, not one issue. Girlfriend has a Hyundai SUV, not one issue. Every car on the road is made up of thousands of parts, Jaguar is not unique in that department; the only thing they had going for them was the 5 year/60k mile warranty, now they are equals to everyone else and I guarantee they will lose customers unless their build quality improves or they begin to foot the bill for their atrociously built vehicles again. I have odd noises coming from the suspension, from the headliner, from the luggage compartment, all of which I strongly believe to be craftsmanship issues, not "body panel squeaks".

I am not sure why everyone wouldn't hold this same opinion. If the cars were built to at least the standard of luxury no one would have an issue with this change in policy. Lexus owners don't have an issue because their cars are built to a certain standard, same with Mercedes, and same with almost every economical brand nowadays. If Jaguar is forcing people to pay a hefty premium for their goods they better be **** sure that it is at least up to par with the other luxury brands.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Had my Lexus for over 2 years, not one issue. Had a Mercedes before that, not one issue. Girlfriend has a Hyundai SUV, not one issue. Every car on the road is made up of thousands of parts, Jaguar is not unique in that department; the only thing they had going for them was the 5 year/60k mile warranty, now they are equals to everyone else and I guarantee they will lose customers unless their build quality improves or they begin to foot the bill for their atrociously built vehicles again. I have odd noises coming from the suspension, from the headliner, from the luggage compartment, all of which I strongly believe to be craftsmanship issues, not "body panel squeaks".

I am not sure why everyone wouldn't hold this same opinion. If the cars were built to at least the standard of luxury no one would have an issue with this change in policy. Lexus owners don't have an issue because their cars are built to a certain standard, same with Mercedes, and same with almost every economical brand nowadays. If Jaguar is forcing people to pay a hefty premium for their goods they better be **** sure that it is at least up to par with the other luxury brands.

I had a 2008 Lexus GS350 which was notorious for dashboard rattles, the dealer and the Lexus did not have a fix for it. My Lexus was in the shop for over six weeks over a span of a year for this dash rattle. What is unique about your Jag is that it is a first year production Euro car and they are known for having production and design issues no matter if they are Germans or Brits.
Jaguar never was a car maker that had impeccable build quality, but they use to be a lot better. Today's Jags are not as well built as their predecessors, I am sure profit margin has something to do with it. I almost bought a Macan before I bought the FPace due to the 1st year design issues and build quality of Porsche. The maintenance cost is what kill it, the Macan would have cost me about $6000 in maintenance in two years, the Jag's free maintenance kind of seal the deal.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts