Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FP S has developed a very annoying creaking noise from somewhere in the dashboard on the driver side. I've attempted to isolate the noise by pressing on various panels with no luck. The noise appears to be coming from somewhere behind the surface coverings. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'll be scheduling a service appointment this week to diagnose and fix.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
Several have maybe same issue. I have rattle in the panel underlying top of dash above instrument cluster. Mine is only on rough roads. If I hold the panel against upper dash it stops. Try that. If that is it Jaguar working on an official fix but not out yet.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
My "creaking" sound has Fortunately only happened once , but on smooth roads ! For the seconds that I heard it , I was able to stop it by pushing down on the piece of dash that sticks out over the Instrument Panel towards the steering wheel ! Might not be the same problem as you alls , but just thought I'd mention it !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got my FP back from the dealer. They had it for 4 days trying to diagnose. They sent audio and video recordings to techs in the motherland. They don't have a definitive answer, but have ordered a new steering rack as they believe the sound is originating there and traveling through the steering column. The part will take "a few weeks" to arrive, so will keep you posted as this story develops. Until then, I'll be playing the stereo a little louder.

Reactions: Kennoz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Several have maybe same issue. I have rattle in the panel underlying top of dash above instrument cluster. Mine is only on rough roads. If I hold the panel against upper dash it stops. Try that. If that is it Jaguar working on an official fix but not out yet.
I tried applying pressure to every surface I could put my hands on with no relief. The sound is definitely coming from within and not a surface panel. See my latest post regarding recent service visit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My F-Pace Prestige has just over 3,000 miles on it and it started to develop a creaking / rattle last week. It definitely sounds like it is coming from behind a panel somewhere near the steering column. I too have tried pushing on every surface to no avail. I thought I read somewhere that JLR had identified it as an issue?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Brian, I think I may have had the same rattle you are talking about, more of a creak then a rattle. I had some videos of the sounds posted here for a while but I think they have since been taken down. It sounds like it's coming from the directly behind/underneath the steering wheel column. I got to a point going up and down my driveway I could make it creak at will and I spent about an hour one day going up and down the driveway trying to find it. It happens going very slowly and I think it's due to body or suspension flex in relations to the steering wheel/column.

I took it into the dealer twice for it and they couldn't duplicate it either time. Interestingly enough the sound has completely gone away since it's gotten colder here on the east coast. So I think the sound is definitely affected by the temp. What we figured out is that both times the dealer drove the car to test it, the car had been in their shop overnight. Their shop is fully air conditioned and therefore the sound never showed. So they never found out what was causing it on my vehicle.

So I'm waiting to next summer to see if it returns. This doesn't help you much as I see you are in Texas and probably have enough heat still down there to be causing the issue. If you find out what it is, let me know but VZX is right that there is a Topix on this very noise supposedly coming from the steering column that Jaguar is looking for a fix for. They were asking dealers to provide specific details about the vehicles showing the issue so they could isolate it. My dealers did sent all of my info in on that. one of the questions was does the dealer feel its affected by temp and my answer to that is absolutely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same thing here but I lived with it for a couple of weeks since the dealer is so far away. Creak/squeak/rattle was passenger side dash. Problem resolved itself. I think something may have been torqued too tight and just needed to loosen up. Over 7K now with no more problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've heard creaking sounds when turning slowly into my driveway from somewhere by the steering column too! Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't...

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
In case it help: the shop manager sent me an update on my vehicle and to my surprise he said:

"There is a known noise from the steering column so I adjusted the foam around the lower column. "

I'm not sure they've yet done anything on the rattle which happens on rougher roads and is definitely caused by the piece of plastic on underside of top of dash immediately in front of steering wheel. That's the one they said were awaiting Jag fix. I bet fix ends up being inserting double sided sticky tape.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dash Creak and Recent Service

So I just got my FPace S back from the dealer after it has been there for 5 weeks! I'm glad to have it back. It recently went into the dealer for the Dash Creak and ICTP update. No issues with the ICTP update thus far but its early. The Dash Creak diagnosis and fix is what took so long. The service techs took apart the steering column and changed numerous parts along it without any success (took a few weeks to do all that). Then they identified that the creak may be coming from the inside car bend panels. They also had a Jaguar USA field engineer come out to take a look at it. Once they replaced some rivets and did some body work in the car bend panels at the body shop, it is no longer creaking and squeaking from the dash! It was a long process and I had to stay on the service tech to give me updates and the process was frustrating to say the least, but at least the dash creak is fixed (hopefully, permanently). They did send me a photo of the page of the manual of the fix (i was pretty frustrated and they probably did that to make me feel better that a fix was finally found), I have attached it to this post so that other cars on the forum may not need to be taken apart so much to get the fix done. I still have squeaking and creaking from my driver's seat that was attempted to be fixed once before and is still present but after this recent 5 week journey at the dealership, I'm going to just deal with it for now and hopefully after some wear it may disappear. I've had the suspension fixed and the cross brace fix done during a previous visit but occasionally still have some clunking when coming out the driveway turning onto the street. At this point, I'm going to deal with these issues until it needs some other major service in the future. After not seeing the vehicle for 5 weeks, it does look amazing and the engine growl is awesome, but if more issues persist, I am getting to a point where that may not be enough! Anyways, hope this helps others since I've learned so much from all of you on this forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
What I did was to stuff some pillow foam up under the steering column between the flimsy plastic panel cover and the wiring and stuff under there..this made that plastic panel less prone to vibrations and rattles

·
Registered
933 Posts
I got the dreaded dash creak over the weekend. I now have the (1) dash creak, (2) a rattle by the rear passenger side speaker (it's not a rattle from music, it's when the car goes over bumps), and (3) a mild popping sound by rear passenger side headrest. The dash creak is the worst and most annoying of the three and is more noticeable and lower speeds. Rather than being the dealer's guinea pig, I will either just deal with it (most likely) or wait until an "official fix" has been released.

This just amounts to poor fit and finish. Glad this is only a lease.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got this - Started yesterday. Maybe the wide temperature swings up here in the Northeast. The noise is driving me nuts, I'm going to have to schedule to drop it off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My FP S has developed a very annoying creaking noise from somewhere in the dashboard on the driver side. I've attempted to isolate the noise by pressing on various panels with no luck. The noise appears to be coming from somewhere behind the surface coverings. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'll be scheduling a service appointment this week to diagnose and fix.
I know this is an old thread, but I want to follow up with my issue that seemed similar and what fixed it.

Since purchase, I had been hearing a squeak/rattle sounding like hard plastic rubbing on hard plastic behind the steering wheel. It happened mostly on rough highways. I pinpointed it being under the dash where the instrument panel is. If I squeezed the top and bottom of the dash together with my fingers I could replicate the squeak. I finally had a chance to take my car in today and they fixed it (~7,000 mi). Here are the notes on the service ticket: "Dash bezel rubbing Refitted with antisqueak material." When I asked the service technician about it he said Land Rovers and Jaguars often squeak so they have anti-squeak kits that have felt padding used to prevent squeaking.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
I had same and the fix is two sided felt sticky tape.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I had same and the fix is two sided felt sticky tape.
Pretty common fix, particularly with luxury vehicles. A lexus I owned once, they couldn't find the source of the noise, so they dismantled the entire dash and just lined everything with the felt.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I want to follow up with my issue that seemed similar and what fixed it.

Since purchase, I had been hearing a squeak/rattle sounding like hard plastic rubbing on hard plastic behind the steering wheel. It happened mostly on rough highways. I pinpointed it being under the dash where the instrument panel is. If I squeezed the top and bottom of the dash together with my fingers I could replicate the squeak. I finally had a chance to take my car in today and they fixed it (~7,000 mi). Here are the notes on the service ticket: "Dash bezel rubbing Refitted with antisqueak material." When I asked the service technician about it he said Land Rovers and Jaguars often squeak so they have anti-squeak kits that have felt padding used to prevent squeaking.
I had the same issue, it turned out to be the HUD unit rubbing against the dash. As others here have stated, a little felt tape added by the dealership fixed it right up.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
THERE IS A NEW ONE ON THIS TYPE OF ISSUE:

JTB00604NAS1 - Creak Noise From The Instrument Panel (11/28/2017)

Basically there are some parts rubbing against each other behind dash in the engine compartment. Fix is to install some isolator material to stop the rubbing causing the creak.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,416 Posts
When I was at the dealer there was a car being worked on for this issue. It has been there for 6 weeks so far. Here is the area on the car that needs to be adjusted, fitted with foam, then riveted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts