Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Competition is a Joke

5K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  11418 
#1 ·
Over the weekend I found myself parked at Whole foods between an SQ5 and a MB GlC. Both cars are a joke. They are tiny! I couldn't stop laughing. Tiny cars! I. Had the same reaction when I saw an X3. And now the Stelvio? What jokes! Those pretend SUVs are woeful competition for the FPace. Only the Levante can credibly be referred to as competition, but it is priced too high. The F Pace is King. No doubt about it.

#2 ·
Agreed. BMW guy was trying to get me into an X4...the interior was tiny in back, even with the seats folded "flat". The GLC was the same deal. After driving both of them, I immediately went back to my Jag dealer & took the F-PACE out for a second spin. No. Contest. Auf Wiedersehen.

Reactions: GRVR
#3 ·
Well the FP is bigger than most of the vehicles in the segment that it competes in. And its appearance helps deliver a sense of grandiose compared to the others.

FP - 33.5 cubic feet/63.5 cubic feet seats down
SQ5 - 29.1 cubic feet/57.3 cubic feet seats down
GLC - 20.5 cubic feet (way small)/56.5 cubic feet seats down
X3 - 27.6 cubic feet/63.3 cubic feet seats down

#4 ·
Not sure how they are pretend SUVs? Im not sure the reasoning you used to come to that conclusion is correct and I doubt those owners would agree with you. I think every one of those cars you mentioned excels in an area where the F-pace does not.

Just because the F-pace is larger doesn't mean its king, not at all.

#7 · (Edited)
I don't want approval. I made a simple statement from personal observation. THEY ARE TINY. That alone disqualifies them in my book. I was surprised to see up close how tiny they really are. That was my reaction.

It is no different than my hatred of the New England Patriots. I don't care that some people like them. I am still entitled to hate them. Those SUVs are tiny and I would dislike them even if I did not have an F Pace.

#8 ·
#14 · (Edited)
I am very happy with my purchase of the F Pace.

Unlike Trek I find it a little to big for my needs and parking in the City. I actually would have preferred if it was a little smaller.

My previous vehicle was a 2011 X3 BMW and I liked the size and it was roomy enough for me on the inside.

I like to purchase a new body style and I considered the MB GLC which is a direct competitor to the X3 and Q5 but went with the F Pace because it is unique both in terms of exterior design, handling and performance. Although at first I was critical of the interior and preferred the MB GLC interior, over time I have changed my mind and really like the F Pace's modern clean dash with the very up to date virtual instruments and ICTP. I think it is one generation ahead of the MB GLC instrument controls.

So to compare vehicles on exterior size is not use full in isolation. The issue is functionality and interior space compared with exterior dimensions. The FPace does a good job here both in terms of cabin and cargo space.

For instance I find the Porche Macan, the direct competitor to the F Pace, to be a very poor design, in respect to functionality. A useless back seat, limited cargo area and even the front seats because of the high center console give you a closed in feeling for every day driving. Great for the race track, not so good for every day. Almost purchased a Porche Macan and the space issue was a big turn off among other factors.

Now if you want to see a very good design from a functional point of view, look at the Toyota RAV. I had one as a rental for 10 days in Florida and could not believe the interior room and cargo space compared to the X3 with a larger exterior. Toyota has really nailed it if you want practicality, reliability and low deprecation.

Recently my FPace was in for warranty updates and the dealer gave me a BMW X1 for the day. I really enjoyed the change for the day and it was very responsive and more than adequate power. Of course parking it in a downtown lot was extremely easy compared to the F Pace. Fun for the day but to small for every day driving for me. My wife on the other hand is a little intimated by the F Pace although she drives it occasionally but loved the X1.

So Trek on this one I do not agree with you because size only matters below the belt line, if you get my drift and I am not parking mine next to yours!!!

#16 ·
Your assessment of the Macan interior is identical to my assessment. I would also add my negative reaction to the weird key thing on the left side of the steering wheel. I also had a negative reaction to photos of the Q5 and GLC interiors. To see the tiny exteriors in person was shocking. It didn't justify my F-Pace purchase, it simply validated my negative reaction to them from photographs and videos. Of the three, only the Macan was an acceptable (barely) purchase (I've admitted numerous times that I had a deposit on a Macan before I became aware of the F-Pace).

Like I said before, my hatred of the New England Patriots isn't an attempt to justify my preference for another team. If I never watch another football game, I will hate the New England Patriots with every fiber in my body. I feel the same way about Ford vehicles and most of the F-Pace competition.

#18 ·
I'm new here and my wife has had the F-Pace for a little more than a week. I find it fascinating that people view it as so much larger than the BMW X3 or Audi Q5. Both of those have a wheelbase of approximately 2.5 inches less (110.6 and 110.5 versus 113.1) and overall lengths of between 3 and 4 inches less (183.4 and 182.6 versus 186.2). Does that make that much of a difference in parking in the city? My CX-5 is 7 and 7.5 inches smaller in both dimensions, which is noticeable, but not significantly different for parking purposes.

We drove the X3 and Q5, as well as a GLC and RX-350 and larger crossovers (Q7 and Mazda CX-9) before driving the F-Pace. There is no comparison. The F-Pace "seems" larger, but really isn't all that much larger, but the handling and ride are a cut above. My wife, who is not a car buff, took one short test drive and told me "This is the one!" She didn't want the larger engine, so we bought the 20d. Lower price and fuel costs will let me save up for the F-Type I want!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.