Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
So i completed 1 year with my 2019 Jag F-pace 25t Premium couple of days ago (i am the 2nd owner and it was driven 19k miles when i bought it), and since my car was ready for its regular scheduled service, I noticed that the Check Engine light is also ON from the past couple of days. Other than that, the Radiator fan was also making a lot of noise and also the Auto Start/Stop button was not working which I had already thought of discussing with the dealer when i bring in the car for servicing. So i go to the service center, inform the dealer for all of these issues and they keep the car for a day, fix everything and calls me to collect the car as all issues are resolved and is ready. A couple of hours after i pick up my car, i notice the Auto Start/Stop button is again not working and the Check Engine light is ON AGAIN...So the very same day, i called the dealer and send them my car again for them to see what's wrong... a day later they called me to ask if I have any service or maintenance records of the car from before, but since when I bought the car, it was not required so I never did anything from my end,i also checked with the other dealer from whom i bought the car and they said other than routine service, they didn't do anything, which i informed the service center. Service center then tells me that there is some problem with the Timing belt of the car and that they might have to take the engine out and that is not covered in the warranty of the car and that getting this fixed will cost me a bomb.

Now i don't know what to do as the car is still under warranty and its just been 1 year since i bought it, which as per my understanding should cover a fault like this. I have no idea how to get this issue resolved. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
524 Posts
What are they giving you as the reason it won't be covered? Is it possible that the previous owner made some kind of modifications? Or missed a routine service?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are saying that the timing belt seems to be not working correctly and that they need to take the engine out for which they estimated around $4000. The reason they said its not covered in warranty is because they don't know what maintenance was done or what service was done to the vehicle beforehand which they are not responsible for and they are not able to find any record of that. I did asked them if they can check CARFAX from their end for the car to see the previous maintenance records. After that I called Jaguar USA and they said the warranty should cover everything that is currently wrong with the car for CEL and also they provided me the information when the vehicle was last serviced before i bought the vehicle last year.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Is this a Jag/LR dealer saying it's not covered?. All service records for that vehicle are "in the computer" and should be readily available to them when they hook the car up for service. The timing belt is not a normal "wearable item" should not need replacing at 19K. And if the car is still under the Jaguar 5yr/60K warranty (which it is), then anything related to the repair of that covered item should be covered. And why would they need to pull the engine to replace the timing belt? I'm unfamiliar with the 4 cyls in these, but it seems strange that this would be the repair procedure for a timing belt.

Is there another dealer you can bring it? Or can Jaguar USA contact the dealer and tell them to knock it off?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a Jag/LR dealer saying it's not covered?. All service records for that vehicle are "in the computer" and should be readily available to them when they hook the car up for service. The timing belt is not a normal "wearable item" should not need replacing at 19K. And if the car is still under the Jaguar 5yr/60K warranty (which it is), then anything related to the repair of that covered item should be covered. And why would they need to pull the engine to replace the timing belt? I'm unfamiliar with the 4 cyls in these, but it seems strange that this would be the repair procedure for a timing belt.

Is there another dealer you can bring it? Or can Jaguar USA contact the dealer and tell them to knock it off?
Yes its the Jaguar Dealer here in Mighican who are saying its not covered since they cannot track the last service records of the vehicle. They said since they cannot find anything and don't know what was done with the vehicle in the previous servicing, Jaguar cannot take ownership of it. I then called the Jaguar USA for help and they told me the previous service records of the vehicle which I am now sending to this dealership, also the Jaguar USA told me that everything is covered in the warranty specially if anything has to do with the CEL, so I am thinking this dealership is just crooked and are trying to play with me and get the money from my pocket unnecessarily.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes its the Jaguar Dealer here in Mighican who are saying its not covered since they cannot track the last service records of the vehicle. They said since they cannot find anything and don't know what was done with the vehicle in the previous servicing, Jaguar cannot take ownership of it. I then called the Jaguar USA for help and they told me the previous service records of the vehicle which I am now sending to this dealership, also the Jaguar USA told me that everything is covered in the warranty specially if anything has to do with the CEL, so I am thinking this dealership is just crooked and are trying to play with me and get the money from my pocket unnecessarily.

There's some piece to this picture missing. The dealership has no reason to decline warranty repairs unless they think JLRNA is going to decline to pay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently there is no record of the service maintenance of the car before i purchased it as a pre owned at 19k miles. As far as me being the owner is concerned, when i purchased it, the car had no issues and there was no service alert. I drove for another 11k miles and when until a couple of days ago the car showed for its service at 32k miles, I took it for servicing which is when i also found that the engine light is on. Dealer is saying the car was never serviced since when it was purchased by the 1st owner, and even if it was, there is no record for its oil change or anything. This is why they dont want to take ownership of this issue and are asking the current owner which is me to pay from my pocket.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Again...the dealer is doing something wrong. How do they not see the service records but Jaguar USA has them? I would not use this dealer even if they do agree to fix the car, if I'm honest.

Also, you noticed nothing wrong with the car except the CEL? Does it run rough at all? I would bring it to a local AutoZone or regional auto store that checks engine lights, usually for free, and they can give you the code that shows up. That will tell you what the issue is, and whether or not it's a "timing belt issue". And yet again, why are we pulling the engine to service the timing belt? It does sound like they are trying to screw you on some level.

What is the dealer's name? Any reviews for their service department?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again...the dealer is doing something wrong. How do they not see the service records but Jaguar USA has them? I would not use this dealer even if they do agree to fix the car, if I'm honest.

Also, you noticed nothing wrong with the car except the CEL? Does it run rough at all? I would bring it to a local AutoZone or regional auto store that checks engine lights, usually for free, and they can give you the code that shows up. That will tell you what the issue is, and whether or not it's a "timing belt issue". And yet again, why are we pulling the engine to service the timing belt? It does sound like they are trying to screw you on some level.

What is the dealer's name? Any reviews for their service department?
So here's the current update.
Jaguar USA could also not find any service record on my car, meaning when the car was initially purchased in Oct 2018 by its 1st owner, from that time until Sept 2020 when i took it to the Jaguar Dealership for servicing. Apparently both the Jaguar retailer and Jaguar USA are backing each other up and telling me that since they cannot find any service record or any form of maintenance on the car, this Timing Belt/Tensioner's condition issue will not be covered under warranty. Also they added that since i bought the car from a Unauthorized Jaguar Dealership, they cannot do any good to me.
Therefore reason for CEL issue not covered under warranty: 1. Car not maintained as per Jaguar guidelines. 2. Car bought from an unauthorized Jaguar dealer

Now on the other hand, when I went back to the dealer i purchased the car at 19k miles which is Automotive Avenues NJ, they are saying that the car was serviced and maintained by them before they sold me, but at the same time they cannot provide any record. They are also saying since i bought the car at 19k miles and I drove another 13k miles, I should have changed the oil 3 times. So even the dealer is blaming me for not maintaining the car.
But according to me, when I purchased the car from them, they told me the oil change is good until the next service due, and also my car didn't show me or gave me any alert that the oil life is expiring or something which I would have taken seriously and gotten the oil change done.
I also looked online and found that jaguar vehicles are good for 16k miles after the oil change is done (Synthetic oil). But my dealer said I was supposed to change oil every 3k-5k miles which i guess is Conventional oil. So they kind of kept me in the dark and not told me that I was supposed to change oil every 3k-5k miles which they should have exquisitely told me when they were selling the car.
But its weird because my 2010 Honda Accord shows alert for Oil change, why didn't my 2019 Jaguar showed any.

I think I am going to talk to my attorney to see if we can do something about it.

Name of Unauthorized Dealer: Automotive Avenues NJ
name of Jaguar Dealership: Jaguar Troy MI

·
Registered
524 Posts
Jaguar USA could also not find any service record on my car, meaning when the car was initially purchased in Oct 2018 by its 1st owner, from that time until Sept 2020 when i took it to the Jaguar Dealership for servicing. Apparently both the Jaguar retailer and Jaguar USA are backing each other up and telling me that since they cannot find any service record or any form of maintenance on the car, this Timing Belt/Tensioner's condition issue will not be covered under warranty. Also they added that since i bought the car from a Unauthorized Jaguar Dealership, they cannot do any good to me.
Therefore reason for CEL issue not covered under warranty: 1. Car not maintained as per Jaguar guidelines. 2. Car bought from an unauthorized Jaguar dealer

Now on the other hand, when I went back to the dealer i purchased the car at 19k miles which is Automotive Avenues NJ, they are saying that the car was serviced and maintained by them before they sold me, but at the same time they cannot provide any record. They are also saying since i bought the car at 19k miles and I drove another 13k miles, I should have changed the oil 3 times. So even the dealer is blaming me for not maintaining the car.
But according to me, when I purchased the car from them, they told me the oil change is good until the next service due, and also my car didn't show me or gave me any alert that the oil life is expiring or something which I would have taken seriously and gotten the oil change done.
I also looked online and found that jaguar vehicles are good for 16k miles after the oil change is done (Synthetic oil). But my dealer said I was supposed to change oil every 3k-5k miles which i guess is Conventional oil. So they kind of kept me in the dark and not told me that I was supposed to change oil every 3k-5k miles which they should have exquisitely told me when they were selling the car.
But its weird because my 2010 Honda Accord shows alert for Oil change, why didn't my 2019 Jaguar showed any.

I think I am going to talk to my attorney to see if we can do something about it.

Yeah, you might be out of luck. The warranty is pretty clear about what's required, and it sounds like the previous owner didn't fulfill the terms of the warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ahhh, the missing information makes it pretty clear. Your only recourse might be against the selling dealer (btw, what is an "unauthorized" Jaguar dealer? They're not a Jaguar Dealer if they're not "authorized"). There might be some fraud involved, as the 5/60 warranty is of substantial value in the price of a used Jaguar vehicle. Sounds like your were misled by the selling car dealer that the warranty was in place. Also, you are in charge of tracking the mileage between services, and the data on your time for service display is input by the dealer at service, again not the servicing dealer's fault...bad news, and sorry you're experiencing this FUBAR, but you might have a claim against the selling dealer, and if where you live has a Small Claims Court, you might be able to avoid the cost of an attorney. On the other hand, a "Just Call Saul" lawyer might sniff some fraud and compensatory damages out for you, and take the case on a contingency. Definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
15 Posts

The timing belt is not required to be replaced yet and the car is under full warranty. Give the Jag dealer hell and turn him into corporate as they can't legally decline service to a car still under warranty. BTW, a timing belt is a normal wear & tear item, but isn't due to be replaced. The only malfunction would be it it breaks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
That's what I meant about wearable item. It's a serviceable part at a set interval, but it shouldn't "wear down quicker" like a clutch or brake pads.

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar XF 3.0L
15 Posts
Jaguar USA could also not find any service record on my car, meaning when the car was initially purchased in Oct 2018 by its 1st owner, from that time until Sept 2020 when i took it to the Jaguar Dealership for servicing.

Howdy Thread Starter..
Sorry for your considerable issues..

Any updates after 10 days for us?

Might I suggest what worked for me before I purchased my CPO 2017 Jaguar:

1. Pay the $29 on Carfax.com for your vin#.
2. Copy & Paste results here.
3. Call Jaguar Lakeside Service Dept
@ (586) 221-4464 with your Vin#.
4. Ask the SA to run your vin and check if still under the 5/60 new car warranty. Also ask if the latest TSB's for the '19 25t might be a cause of your CEL & Timing Belt issue.*
5. Post the results of that discussion here.
6. Spend $18 and get your own code scanner.
7. Post the codes here please.

We all help each other better when more facts are known.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Howdy Thread Starter..
Sorry for your considerable issues..

Any updates after 10 days for us?

Might I suggest what worked for me before I purchased my CPO 2017 Jaguar:

1. Pay the $29 on Carfax.com for your vin#.
2. Copy & Paste results here.
3. Call Jaguar Lakeside Service Dept
@ (586) 221-4464 with your Vin#.
4. Ask the SA to run your vin and check if still under the 5/60 new car warranty. Also ask if the latest TSB's for the '19 25t might be a cause of your CEL & Timing Belt issue.*
5. Post the results of that discussion here.
6. Spend $18 and get your own code scanner.
7. Post the codes here please.

We all help each other better when more facts are known.
Hello there,

So i do have the CarFax from before I purchased the car, and even I got one last week...anyways I just got my car back today from the Jaguar Troy Dealership and attached is what the issue mentioned in the Invoice/Bill.
I Paid $3422.75 from my pocket.

Jaguar Troy dealership was backed by Jaguar North America in their decision of not covering this fix under warranty (which my car has for another 28k miles or until 2024) because there was no service history of the car or no oil change done ever.
I think the dealership i bought the car from (Used Car Dealer Near Brick NJ | Automotive Avenues) tricked and played foul with me. They told me exclusively to not worry about any service or oil change when I bought it at 19k until my next service is due as they have already serviced the car and changed the oil, and when I spoke to them about this issue, they are saying i was supposed to have changed the oil every 3k miles, which is ridiculous because Jaguar guidelines says oil change is done every 16k miles or 12 months whichever comes first. What's new to me is that now they are telling me I should have changed oil every 3k miles, which they should explicitly inform the customer about this crucial information while selling such expensive cars, and it clearly means they put conventional oil and not synthetic oil.

Anyways I guess I kind of lost the battle because I got the blame from everywhere, be it Jaguar or the Dealership I purchased my car, and I cannot do anything about it. So, even though my car is under warranty, I had to pay from my pocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar XF 3.0L
15 Posts
Sad...
I feel really bad for ya mate.
To add insult to injury, Troy didn't even Discount a single part.
And their list prices must be in Canadian.
See below vs your invoice..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for sharing this information as I was completely unaware of this. I had no idea they can do something like this.
Upon further checking all the codes in the invoice and the parts on Jaguar USA website and even the Jaguar Troy website, I observed the parts are much cheaper than what Jaguar Troy charged me. There is a total difference of $450 between my invoice and the website prices. Can something like this really happen? In fact one of the code is not even a valid one, I couldn't find it anywhere (JDE40738) on google or Jaguar website.
Can I do anything about it now that I have already paid the bill?

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar XF 3.0L
15 Posts

As far as recriminations, you've already paid Troy..
I wish we knew over the past 10 days what was happening as we all could've offered advice & pricing.

Claims against Avenue are difficult as they surely offered no written oil change interval instructions that you can show an arbitrator.

Jaguar suffers greatly at the hands of some dealers and here's further proof..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts