Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any info on the charging system in the F-Pace?
Is it a smart charge system or voltage dependent, or constant charge?
If I get one I'd be looking at a dual battery system for it, and as such, knowing what system is in would help.
Looking at a second cranking battery in parallel, and then at least 2 deep cycles in the boot to power a suitably sized Engel.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
Sorry mate not sure what an Engle is. Not sure what you mean by the type of charging system in the FP. Could you please explain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engel is a fridge, and by charging system I was wondering if it is a smart charge or standard charge type system.
Smart charge systems only seem to charge at idle or just off idle, which is strange. Standard charge systems also verbally charge at highway speed but aren't so good if spending long periods at low revs.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Second battery

Scotty:

As I often listen to music while taking a break in the ski resort parking lot, I have experienced low/dead battery situations such that I carry a portable battery/jump system : https://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-JNC660-1700-12-Volt-Starter/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1472654012&sr=1-7&keywords=portable+jump+starter. The device is effective, but not elegant: takes up storage space, hard to secure, must be separately charged and doesn't increase engine-off battery life.

As engineers strive to increase fuel economy, many automakers set up their cars to only engage the alternator to charge the battery when the engine is not under load resulting in problems due to undercharging the battery (do you coast much?). BMW started replacing batteries yearly at regular service of some of their vehicles (2015 X5 5.0, for example) to cope with the problem as changing the vehicle's charging programming would require costly EPA mileage re-certification and could spur mileage lawsuits.

I too am interested in adding a second battery. Ideally, a two battery system that ran the "infotainment" off one battery while keeping the other functions on the original battery works very well on my boat with and "A", "B" and "Both" switch.

This set-up on the complicated ICTPro multi-media/security system may be too much to ask. The simplest hack would be to put a new battery in parallel with the factory (use a matched battery or buy two new) and install a high current alternator. The difficult part is locating a suitable place to mount the new battery. A good auto sound company should be able to handle the installation with proper wiring, but could impact the vehicle warranty.

I haven't yet taken delivery of my F-Pace. Anyone know of a good location for a second battery (Bentley Continental sites a second battery in a hatch in the "boot")?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does the F-Pace also use a kinetic recovery system to charge the battery?

And does it have the TSS stop-start system fitted to other JLR models?
(Not sure if this system is only used for DERVs or not...)

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/jaguar/2014-jaguar-xf-eco2-ar157609.html said:
The MY14 XF has a secondary battery fitted specifically for engine re-starting, meaning that all the normal car systems – such as the entertainment system, the ventilation and lights – continue to receive power from the standard car battery and are unaffected by the re-start. In addition, a complex control system ensures that the Stop/Start operation only occurs when the car does not require the engine for other functions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Capacitor for Restart?

Don't remember where I saw it but I thought there was a capacitor involved in restarting and that it was located in the "A" pillar.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
OK, I am ashamed to ask this, but where is the battery located in an FP? I read through the operators handbook (doesn't tell you where it is) , and looked under the hood, but was unable to locate it.!!!!
Also the handbook says that if the battery needs to be charged, it should be removed. WTH.
Anybody used a charger for long term storage?

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK, I am ashamed to ask this, but where is the battery located in an FP? I read through the operators handbook (doesn't tell you where it is) , and looked under the hood, but was unable to locate it.!!!!
Also the handbook says that if the battery needs to be charged, it should be removed. WTH.
Under the spare tire. A lot of room down there. Too bad they couldn't have reallocated the space to add fuel capacity.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thanks JMB.
...... the handbook says that if the battery needs to be charged, it should be removed. WTH.
Does anybody know of any reasons why I couldn't use the Booster connections under the hood for a trickle charger?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thanks JMB.

Does anybody know of any reasons why I couldn't use the Booster connections under the hood for a trickle charger?
For what it's worth, I asked a friend whose car has the battery in the fender well, and he indicated that it is possible to use the under hood booster connections to charge the battery.
Thought this might help others in the same situation.

·
Registered
933 Posts
To follow up on this, has anyone -
MTHM or anyone else - used a charger to maintain the battery's charge during a long period of not driving? If so, any tips or product recommendations?

Later this year, I won't be driving the car for a period of about 6 - 8 weeks and need to figure out what to do. Maybe just disconnect the battery and reconnect in two months?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I left my F pace sitting for 6 weeks 2 times and could not charge it, work parking deck ( travel ). It was fine. I did connect a charger over night right as I got home to get it topped off again.

Charger I us for car and bike

smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJ5KEEA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&

MTHM or anyone else - used a charger to maintain the battery's charge during a long period of not driving? If so, any tips or product recommendations?

Later this year, I won't be driving the car for a period of about 6 - 8 weeks and need to figure out what to do. Maybe just disconnect the battery and reconnect in two months?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
For what it's worth, I asked a friend whose car has the battery in the fender well, and he indicated that it is possible to use the under hood booster connections to charge the battery.
Thought this might help others in the same situation.
I wouldn't mind giving this a bump as mine will be sitting for 2-3 months in the winter? Would it be a good Idea to put a battery tender on it? From what I glean/read the FP doesn't like sitting for long periods (1 month or longer...) Anybody have experience with this?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks JMB.

Yes, the terminals under the hood(bonnet) can be used to trickle charge. Use a quality C-Tek trickle charger.

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I had mine parked for just over a month, and I used a Battery Tender. It worked just fine :)
I wouldn't recommend disconnecting the battery. You will lose all your presets and maybe some other data. It's a royal pain to program it all back in:|

·
Registered
933 Posts
So...this topic has become relevant to me again. Here's the deal.

My car will be sitting for one to two months in my building's garage this winter. I have no access to a power outlet in the garage, and while I will be able to go to the car I will NOT be able to drive it (due to surgery - more on that another time).

So instead of disconnecting the car battery, do I have any options to keep the battery "alive and well" during this time? While I could start the car and let it run/idle for a few minutes from time to time, I read that doing that could actually drain the battery quicker. Any thoughts on that?

Also, a battery tender won't work because I have no power outlet. Does anyone know of a battery powdered or rechargeable battery tender or charger that I could periodically attach to the car's battery charge points for a few hours to keep the thing charged?

And, lastly, no, no one can drive the car for me. Maneuvering and parking in the garage is crazy tight and the last thing I need is for someone to damage the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
There might be an option to use a solar panel that can convert to 120 VAC. See what the battery charger draws and then see if you can find a compatible solar panel. Just a thought. You are right starting the car just to let it run is a waste of time and fuel.

Of course there is always the possibility of running a LONG extension cord if it is practical.

·
Registered
933 Posts
There might be an option to use a solar panel that can convert to 120 VAC. See what the battery charger draws and then see if you can find a compatible solar panel. Just a thought. You are right starting the car just to let it run is a waste of time and fuel.

Of course there is always the possibility of running a LONG extension cord if it is practical.
The problem with that is that the garage is underground so no access to solar power...but a creative thought nonetheless. Also, other people who live in my building park in the garage so I can't really run an extension cord across the floor.

Worst case scenario would be to let the battery die. I'm assuming I'd be able to call up Jaguar Roadside Assistance when I'm able to drive again and they could jump the batter using the charge points underneath the hood. But I'd rather avoid that though because all my settings will be erased.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
Don't let it die. Remove it and put it on a battery tender in a safe location. The worst is somethings will have to be reset (reprogrammed). Most programming should be retained.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found this searching for same info about placing a trickle charger on the battery. I still have not found the battery, but I have found the red boost post under the hood. If I put + lead on post and - lead on a ground, will it charge the battery or keep it up during storage or must it be on the battery posts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts