Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As discussed previously there aren't many good places to put your phone in our Fpaces. So, I made a grippy mat for the center console to make use of the wasted space around the shifter.

It works great functionality wise but I'm not crazy about the grip mat I ordered. It's REALLY sticky. Like annoying sticky. Not crazy about the design on the top either. It's also not quite wide enough so I would recommend a different one entirely. I couldn't easily find one that was large enough so I may opt for the underside of a large mouse pad.

I made a template for anyone who wants to make one. Just print it out 100% scale and it should work for a cutting template. The red dashed lines are optional cuts. The ones around the shifter would leave the chrome exposed as opposed to being covered. Something I did on purpose because the reflection blinds me every day on my way home. The lower line is if you don't want to go beyond the driving style controls like I did.

Had to upload a zip because the forum won't let me upload a pdf. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Brian,

You're onto something and great job cutting that out!
Is that a CNC machine that you used? If so, may I ask what type of cutting bit was used to go through that material?

Loop

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Brian,

You're onto something and great job cutting that out!
Is that a CNC machine that you used? If so, may I ask what type of cutting bit was used to go through that material?

Loop
Yeah it is. I tried a 1/8th spiral down cut but it wasn't workin out. The rubber is just to spongy to cut clean on a router unless there is some super specific bit made just for it. That picture is actually a piece of laminate for a template and I ended up cutting it out with an exacto knife. So super high tech just to do something super low tech. Haha

Why do you ask? Do you need to route rubber?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yeah it is. I tried a 1/8th spiral down cut but it wasn't workin out. The rubber is just to spongy to cut clean on a router unless there is some super specific bit made just for it. That picture is actually a piece of laminate for a template and I ended up cutting it out with an exacto knife. So super high tech just to do something super low tech. Haha

Why do you ask? Do you need to route rubber?

The ultimate way to do these is to waterjet them in a stack...if they caught on you could maker a decent buck on them.....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Brian, were you planning this as an overlay on the existing piece? Or removing the existing piece to put this in it's place. I removed the side trim pieces for the center console (leather lined pieces) as they just pry up with some effort, but I can't figure out how to lift up the "piano black" center section. My plan was to wrap it, but this could be a good option, too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I LIKE IT .....

I live in the Phx and dash protection from the sun is a must. Now, if you come up with a cutout to cover the entire front dash, and get rid of the ugly substitutes currently on the market, we will be in business. Correction: you will be in business!!
Just a thought

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ultimate way to do these is to waterjet them in a stack...if they caught on you could maker a decent buck on them.....
If you have a spare $100,000 waterjet table laying around then feel free to use that template. =D

Brian, were you planning this as an overlay on the existing piece? Or removing the existing piece to put this in it's place. I removed the side trim pieces for the center console (leather lined pieces) as they just pry up with some effort, but I can't figure out how to lift up the "piano black" center section. My plan was to wrap it, but this could be a good option, too.
Nothing that fancy. Just a place to put my phone that won't slide around. What were you going to wrap it with? Like a vinyl or leather?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you have a spare $100,000 waterjet table laying around then feel free to use that template. =D

I in fact do.. it is a 50 HP omax, but unfortunately it is busy cutting 718 Inconel aerospace parts right now....>:)

Reactions: MTGRL

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I in fact do.. it is a 50 HP omax, but unfortunately it is busy cutting 718 Inconel aerospace parts right now....>:)
Awesome! I've always wanted one but most of our work is with wood and it usually doesn't mix well with water. ;) If our metal products ever got bigger I'd probably get a laser. Got one of those too?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Brian, I plan on wrapping it in 3M vinyl, brushed black metallic to be specific. I did this in my last car and it looked amazing (much better than the fake walnut trim that clashed with my black interior). I need to wrap the vinyl under the pieces to prevent peeling, but pulling these trim pieces off is a lesson in butt-clenching. Too much resistance even for those pieces that are just clipped in.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Brian, I plan on wrapping it in 3M vinyl, brushed black metallic to be specific. I did this in my last car and it looked amazing (much better than the fake walnut trim that clashed with my black interior). I need to wrap the vinyl under the pieces to prevent peeling, but pulling these trim pieces off is a lesson in butt-clenching. Too much resistance even for those pieces that are just clipped in.
I am not sure if this is helpful, but on a previous vehicle, the center bezel was removed by first pushing it to the right, which then popped out tabs along the left side. I struggled with it for way too long before I found this out. Not sure how the FP is constructed, but just a thought.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Brian,
Thanks for the info. I was more curious than anything as your mat looked to be cut out perfectly and I was wondering if an I dustry/material specific cutting bit was used.

I love the entire maker-movement (I'm a jeweler and we use CAD and 3D printers and mills for our wax models) and I would love to justify the purchase price and learning curve to buy a CNC machine (I am an intermediate woodworker/tinkerer too and see the CNC machines advertised, for example on sites such as Rockler)...and secretly want to make a really cool aluminum and rubber foot rest/dead pedal for the F Pace too.

Have you ever cut aluminum with that CNC? If you're interested, maybe you could do a dead pedal matched to the stock brake/gas pedal and sell them to forum members?

Loop

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Brian,
Thanks for the info. I was more curious than anything as your mat looked to be cut out perfectly and I was wondering if an I dustry/material specific cutting bit was used.

I love the entire maker-movement (I'm a jeweler and we use CAD and 3D printers and mills for our wax models) and I would love to justify the purchase price and learning curve to buy a CNC machine (I am an intermediate woodworker/tinkerer too and see the CNC machines advertised, for example on sites such as Rockler)...and secretly want to make a really cool aluminum and rubber foot rest/dead pedal for the F Pace too.

Have you ever cut aluminum with that CNC? If you're interested, maybe you could do a dead pedal matched to the stock brake/gas pedal and sell them to forum members?

Loop
Yeah we cut aluminum parts for a few of our products but it's a really slow process. If only we weren't super understaffed and had the spare time I'd give it a shot. Looks like it's up to you. ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am not sure if this is helpful, but on a previous vehicle, the center bezel was removed by first pushing it to the right, which then popped out tabs along the left side. I struggled with it for way too long before I found this out. Not sure how the FP is constructed, but just a thought.
Interesting...hadn't thought of this. Was that previous vehicle a Jaguar? On my Volvo, we had to remove screws hidden under "snap in" trim and in the armrest cubby, then the center section lifted up. Figured that's what I'd find here, but there are definitely more separate components to this center console.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Interesting...hadn't thought of this. Was that previous vehicle a Jaguar? On my Volvo, we had to remove screws hidden under "snap in" trim and in the armrest cubby, then the center section lifted up. Figured that's what I'd find here, but there are definitely more separate components to this center console.
Yeah, it was a DODGE. I was looking at the FP and of course do not think this method is possible now that I have actually looked at (and simply tried to move a few pieces) the center. My bad.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guess it's time to sacrifice yours and tell us what not to do. ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Brian, you laugh, but I can't help myself. I WILL break something :(, curse, then try to take more apart, lol.

I'll mess with it when it gets a bit warmer out. The plastic clips release a little bit better when they aren't cold, with less chance of breakage. I'll start popping screws and see if I can "motivate" anything to lift up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts