Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This popped up a few days ago in my 2018 20d, stands for SCR nox Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold, a potentially serious problem. Also showed code p20fb, but that is proprietary and I haven't found its meaning. My dealer is 45 min away, and has no current service openings (!), tho am waiting for my service rep to actually speak to me. I am hoping this is just a bad sensor, which has happened before (o2). But want to know if anyone else encountered this?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Well let me tell you... That code on my JEEP resulted in a new diesel DPF filter being needed at about 65K miles, an expensive little part ! ( Think catalytic converter for diesel..) It took 2 trips in as they tried to reset things, and maybe change a sensor as part of protocol, as the DPF costs them a pretty penny if its under warranty ( Mine was 3500.00 but covered under 8/80 FCA emissions warranty, vehicle was out of factory warranty..) How many miles is on yours? Do you do a lot of short trip driving? That can hasten the demise of a DPF.
I've asked this question on the forum before but never really got a clear answer. What is JLR's advertised Federal emissions warranty for the 20D? I still drove my JEEP for a little bit till they got it in, but if they would, I'd have them drive it in to the dealer now, till they can look at it and request a loaner ASAP. Keep us updated as to what they find and what they do, as this fix or problem could potentially be coming for a lot of 20D owners....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
23,000 miles in 26 months, good balance of short and long. Did 50 miles back and forth on highway just before light went on. Service guy finally called, but too late to get advice from a tech, so back at it tmw. Don’t know warranty, but car is leased and everything is covered for life of lease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This popped up a few days ago in my 2018 20d, stands for SCR nox Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold, a potentially serious problem. Also showed code p20fb, but that is proprietary and I haven't found its meaning. My dealer is 45 min away, and has no current service openings (!), tho am waiting for my service rep to actually speak to me. I am hoping this is just a bad sensor, which has happened before (o2). But want to know if anyone else encountered this?
Are you able to provide an update on this. My check engine light came on. Wondering what to expect. Am past warranty :(

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I don't really know what to expect. It could be as simple as a sensor or as bad as a DPF filter failing. The main thing is if you have any type of warranty to cover it. In the US the federal emissions warranty provides some extended warranty for these items, but in Canada I don't know what the rules are. Whatever is discovered, please report back here as to what it was, what they did, and what they charged. You may be able to help other owners...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't really know what to expect. It could be as simple as a sensor or as bad as a DPF filter failing. The main thing is if you have any type of warranty to cover it. In the US the federal emissions warranty provides some extended warranty for these items, but in Canada I don't know what the rules are. Whatever is discovered, please report back here as to what it was, what they did, and what they charged. You may be able to help other owners...
Not covered under warranty or extended warranty.
i have 144,000 km on the car (2017)
Dealer wants
3765. - replace scr
440. - replace def injector
1070. - replace nox sensor

am ready for my heart attack now
Do not resuscitate
😭

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Well if there are any competent diesel mechanic or car repair places.. you could try to get a 2nd opinion, can't hurt...
Is it or is it not drivable? Are there any places up there like tuners etc that might be willing to try to delete the emissions equipment? Not saying that's what I'd do but just grasping at straws... What did they say cased this or put the vehicle in this condition? or were these components just wore out? Surprised they don't want to change the DPF Filter too....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well if there are any competent diesel mechanic or car repair places.. you could try to get a 2nd opinion, can't hurt...
Is it or is it not drivable? Are there any places up there like tuners etc that might be willing to try to delete the emissions equipment? Not saying that's what I'd do but just grasping at straws... What did they say cased this or put the vehicle in this condition? or were these components just wore out? Surprised they don't want to change the DPF Filter too....
Not drivable. Emissions error code put the car in lock out mode. I can only drive 250km more after that i will not be able to start the car
Yes i can drive it to a garage or 2 but thats it
They said that my driving caused the injector to clog (bs i do almost all hwy driving. Steady pace especially now with covid).
3rd party garage is not sure if it needs to be programmed to the car. If so they cant do it
Deleting the emissions. Totally illegal. No one advertises they do it
If i ever sell the car i would have to correct that other wise i would be liable
Blue book says car is worth 22k
I owe 20k in financing still. So to trade it in. I start all over again.
sick to my stomach right now

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You could also appeal to JLR directly and see if they could work with you as these items are really not “wear” items.. As a diesel, we expect them to last into the 150-200k range and to face this expense vs vehicle value is really a tough spot....

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could also appeal to JLR directly and see if they could work with you as these items are really not “wear” items.. As a diesel, we expect them to last into the 150-200k range and to face this expense vs vehicle value is really a tough spot....
Yep. Trying that route as well
Tired. Stressed. Need to catch a break

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update time peoples!
Contacted jaguar head office and extended warranty company (3rd party - glabal warranty company)
I have been doing all my service work at the dealer and have been doing double the amount of oil changes.
they have agreed to cover 50% of the costs

after a little bit of a battle with the extended warranty company. They have agreed to cover the cost of the nox sensor and replacement

so between the 2 of them they took a really big repair bill and made it manageable.
so i’m going to keep the jag and cancel my test drive of the kia sorento 🥳
(Yes am serious)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Well that’s good, that just goes to show you where you can get if you explore all avenues and appeal a problem that shouldn’t be common. I’m going to say that your issue is a rare issue with 20 D owners, I really don’t see any many problems with this engine or even some of the emissions components on this or any forum. We do about 70% in town, with an occasional 300 mile trip about once a month. By and large this vehicle has been very dependable that we hope to have it around for another 3 to 5 years. Glad things worked out for you, I would’ve paid it too, And a 50% discount, that should get you back in gear for quite a while....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well that’s good, that just goes to show you where you can get if you explore all avenues and appeal a problem that shouldn’t be common. I’m going to say that your issue is a rare issue with 20 D owners, I really don’t see any many problems with this engine or even some of the emissions components on this or any forum. We do about 70% in town, with an occasional 300 mile trip about once a month. By and large this vehicle has been very dependable that we hope to have it around for another 3 to 5 years. Glad things worked out for you, I would’ve paid it too, And a 50% discount, that should get you back in gear for quite a while....
That’s why i want to keep it. Has been good until just now. I’ll give her one more kick at the can
🤞
I really need her to last 3 more years. If that happens. It will have been a decent investment when it comes to cars.
i will also not use the remote start quite as often

1 - 14 of 14 Posts