Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was stopped at a light and the car suddenly died. Engine turned off but electric all still working. No matter what I did the engine wouldn't start (wouldn't even attempt to start). I was in a construction zone on a one lane road so nobody could get around me, in the middle of rush hour. I couldn't put it in neutral to push it as everything was dead. Traffic was backing up for miles. I frantically looked up how to put in neutral and went under the hood and pulled the little lever it said to disengage, but that did nothing! I eventually had to get a tow (I was directing traffic while waiting) and they had to drag it on to the bed.
Am I missing something on how to manually put it in neutral? I haven't heard anything from the shop yet.

Edit - sorry, maybe wrong forum - I'll repost elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Terrible situation to be in.
Just reviewed the procedure in case it happens to me and basically it’s lift the handle, as you did. There’s also a securing latch to hold the handle in position.
Let us know why it died and why the neutral interlock didn’t work.

Reactions: Cat Lady

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
sounds like you did what you were supposed to and just as @skyking instructed.
please let us know the outcome

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the starter motor is shot. $1300 to replace.:LOL: They told me I should try to disengage the auto start/stop as much as possible going forward.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Looks like the starter motor is shot. $1300 to replace.:LOL: They told me I should try to disengage the auto start/stop as much as possible going forward.
Wow!!! They want us to disengage something most of us hate and have disengaged since the beginning to spare our starter motors :(

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Not under warranty? Starter should be a life of the product item. How many people are going to be happy to replace this item worn out by auto stop/start? JLR should be at least sharing the cost if out of warranty…

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can't quite agree that a starter is a "life of the product item," but it would still be under warranty for a MY18 in the U.S.. What I find strange is what the starter would have to do with the car cutting off in the first place (since the starter shouldn't be engaging while the car is running and while it's in gear), and why it would interfere with putting the transmission into neutral. Seems like there's something more afoot.

Meanwhile, the suggestion to avoid Start/Stop seems like a joke. I understand the wear & tear concept, but it's probably not something JLR would officially approve as necessary (or appropriate, given that it's baked into their EPA certification).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts