Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of the challenge with a vehicle is when you have something weird happen you don't know if it's normal, your vehicle or if everyone has this.

In the F-pace I seem to have to stop and fiddle for about a half minute and hitting several buttons to get the same view I always look for. For instance when I park in my garage I like the forward view to know when to stop but it's annoying that it takes so much time to get to the view.

When I back up it will start the backup camera automatically, but then flip back to the screen I had before (usually media), then flip back to the backup camera. By the time it's done this I'm not sure I even need the camera anymore except to confirm I'm back far enough. If I'm actually need the camera I have to stop and wait about 10 seconds before the camera finally stops flipping around and is usable.

This is my first Jag and F-pace, but the camera system seems to have a lot of issues. My last vehicle let me customize my camera view and I hit the camera icon it was a one button view. The camera system in it was great, but maybe my expectations for the Jag is just too high?

Appreciate the feedback and people sharing their experience. So far I love the Jag but the camera system doesn't work well at all.

I have a 2020 SVR.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Part of the challenge with a vehicle is when you have something weird happen you don't know if it's normal, your vehicle or if everyone has this.

In the F-pace I seem to have to stop and fiddle for about a half minute and hitting several buttons to get the same view I always look for. For instance when I park in my garage I like the forward view to know when to stop but it's annoying that it takes so much time to get to the view.

When I back up it will start the backup camera automatically, but then flip back to the screen I had before (usually media), then flip back to the backup camera. By the time it's done this I'm not sure I even need the camera anymore except to confirm I'm back far enough. If I'm actually need the camera I have to stop and wait about 10 seconds before the camera finally stops flipping around and is usable.

This is my first Jag and F-pace, but the camera system seems to have a lot of issues. My last vehicle let me customize my camera view and I hit the camera icon it was a one button view. The camera system in it was great, but maybe my expectations for the Jag is just too high?

Appreciate the feedback and people sharing their experience. So far I love the Jag but the camera system doesn't work well at all.

I have a 2020 SVR.
I really wish it would let us save a default camera view as well, but it doesn’t unfortunately. I ended up putting a small piece of tape on the right side wall of my garage and as long as my passenger mirror is past that point, I’m in my garage far enough to close the door. I also put a small piece of tape on the floor in front of where I park, and once my front camera goes past that point and it disappears from view, I’m in a good parking spot. Hopefully some of the complaints like this will be fixed in firmware updates for us, or at least in the new system of the 2021 models.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am considering an F-Pace but am concerned about the camera views as well. Is it true that displaying both the rearview camera + the 360 surround camera requires pressing another button each time (to enable/show the "hidden" 360 surround camera)? Mercedes brings up both views instantly side-by-side anytime reverse is engaged (and it stays on while maneuvering at low speeds after moving from reverse to drive). This is really nice to have, without having to press any extra buttons.

Are you saying that the reverse camera switches off too quickly, instead of remaining on while making small adjustments while alternating between drive (forward gear) and reverse? Or are you describing a different scenario?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am considering an F-Pace but am concerned about the camera views as well. Is it true that displaying both the rearview camera + the 360 surround camera requires pressing another button each time (to enable/show the "hidden" 360 surround camera)? Mercedes brings up both views instantly side-by-side anytime reverse is engaged (and it stays on while maneuvering at low speeds after moving from reverse to drive). This is really nice to have, without having to press any extra buttons.

Are you saying that the reverse camera switches off too quickly, instead of remaining on while making small adjustments while alternating between drive (forward gear) and reverse? Or are you describing a different scenario?
In reverse, you can set the 360 camera to come up beside the rear view as default. I have no issues with reversing and the cameras.

The issue (at least for me) is with the cameras and driving forward. The default view is a split left/right front view + 360 + deactivated proximity sensors (unless you’ve just shifted from reverse). To switch to my preferred full front camera view + 360 + sensors, it takes 3 button presses: camera icon to bring up the camera Fr/Rear/L/R camera menu, select U, then select P to activate sensors. It sounds like it takes a long time, but it really only takes a few seconds. It’s just kind of annoying to have to to it every time I pull into my garage when a simple ability for me to choose the default or just reloading the previously used view could be done. I believe on mine it keeps my selected view if I quickly reverse, then back to D - I’ll have to check to be sure.

The system in my wife’s Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate seems a bit less “clicky” to get to the views you want. I’m not sure if it’ll let you set a default or if it remembers your last used view. I’m rarely in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

It flips the display from the media I was playing (my phone) to the rear camera for about 2 seconds, then it flips back to the media I was playing ending my rear view, then after a few seconds it goes black and then flips back to my rear camera. Usually by the time it is showing the rear view again I've already backed into my parking space making the camera overall not very useful.

For forward/side parking views: I had an Audi before and it had a great 360 view and I could customize my default camera view. The Jag has the views but you are sitting there stopped playing with button after button to get it there. When I want a camera to park I was used to a one button touch to get everything but I find myself just not using the camera anymore because it's so incredibly impractical. Someone in the engineering department designing this must have assumed drivers in a parking situation to just have nothing but time and patience.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When you are reversing, I don't think it should automatically switch back to media and take away the rear camera display. Mine has never done this - when it is in reverse, it always shows the rear camera view.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When you are reversing, I don't think it should automatically switch back to media and take away the rear camera display. Mine has never done this - when it is in reverse, it always shows the rear camera view.
Nope, it shouldn’t. I just played around with the camera a bit this morning. When I start the car, media running, and select R - it goes directly to the backup camera + 360 view + sensors and stays there. If I select D and keep my foot on the brake the screen changes to whatever was on before (home, media, etc), then the 360 PDC screen pops up with the sensors activated in about 5-6 seconds and I can select the camera icon on the pop up screen. This loads the full front view + 360 view + parking sensors. A quick selection back to R swaps to the reverse camera view directly, no media screen. Selecting D again and waiting for 5 seconds will swap directly to the front camera view as before - no media screen, no PDC pop up. If swapping between R and D, the system will also remember a selected camera view while in D if you change it.... but once you turn the car off or otherwise exit the system (select home icon, put the vehicle in park, etc) it goes back to the default front view.

Reactions: gearFX

·
Registered
45 Posts
In reverse, you can set the 360 camera to come up beside the rear view as default.
Forgive my ignorance, but how do I do this? I tried to do this and it only seems to switch cameras but I can't get both at once. When I engage reverse, I am trying to make my default camera view(s) look this photo I found online. Is this possible?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Select camera.
Select settings.
Select default camera view
695E88E8-2647-45E5-9100-33DE24E1B0E8.jpeg
E8E163B9-8A58-4BD1-98D4-ADF49383EB91.jpeg

·
Registered
34 Posts
^ yep, skyking beat me to it. Just a preference in the settings menu.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thank you so much @skyking and @Linden! This is my first Jaguar, so I'm still finding my way around the menu system. Funny, the dealer didn't know how to do it either. :ROFLMAO:

Interesting that when I enable the 360 surround view beside the regular rear view, it crops/trims the outer edges of the rear view camera (making its field of view ever so slightly narrower).

I also see the "Hitch Assist" view in Skyking's photo, which I'll hopefully enable some day in the future by adding the tow control module and associated software (in conjunction with either the factory or aftermarket stealth hitch).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you so much @skyking and @Linden! This is my first Jaguar, so I'm still finding my way around the menu system. Interesting that when I enable the 360 surround view beside the regular rear view, it crops/trims the outer edges of the rear view camera (making its field of view ever so slightly narrower).

I also see the "Hitch Assist" view in Skyking's photo, which I'll hopefully enable some day in the future by adding the tow control module and associated software (in conjunction with either the factory or aftermarket stealth hitch).
True. If you feel the need for the full view when reversing, just double tap on the reverse camera view to expand it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
True. If you feel the need for the full view when reversing, just double tap on the reverse camera view to expand it.
Wow, didn't even know you could double-tap anything on the screen. (I did see that I can pinch-zoom the nav map though.) Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Wow, didn't even know you could double-tap anything on the screen. (I did see that I can pinch-zoom the nav map though.) Thanks for the tip!
You can also tap on the front or back of the 360 display to get a close up of that area.
IMG_1550.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG

·
Registered
45 Posts
Reactions: skyking
1 - 15 of 15 Posts