Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got about 8k on my FPACE s and my wife often complains about the bumpy ride. I know the ride is going to be stiffer than our Toyota Sienna Van but sometimes it is really jarring and the thing that confuses me is I can detect little or no difference between dynamic mode ride versus normal or eco. I will put it in dynamic then customize by turning off the suspension aspect and still don't feel any difference. From what I understand dynamic mode should be even stiffer but I am having a hard time seeing much if any difference. Perhaps I'm stuck in dynamic mode for the suspension, seems unlikely. I haven't had the ICTP update yet but I don't think that is a factor. So let me ask you experts is this just the way it is?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Are you running 20s or 22s? The 22s will be firmer and many have improved the ride by decreasing the air pressure in the tires and setting the ride to "light load". Some had their F-Paces delivered with >50psi in their tires. Dropping down the 34-35psi helps a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20s and have dropped pressure to 34, that did help some.

·
Registered
130 Posts
make sure it is set to light load

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I've got about 8k on my FPACE s and my wife often complains about the bumpy ride. I know the ride is going to be stiffer than our Toyota Sienna Van but sometimes it is really jarring and the thing that confuses me is I can detect little or no difference between dynamic mode ride versus normal or eco. I will put it in dynamic then customize by turning off the suspension aspect and still don't feel any difference. From what I understand dynamic mode should be even stiffer but I am having a hard time seeing much if any difference. Perhaps I'm stuck in dynamic mode for the suspension, seems unlikely. I haven't had the ICTP update yet but I don't think that is a factor. So let me ask you experts is this just the way it is?
Try rain/ snow mode with 'D', it will get you closer to Mercedes level softness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue with regards to bumpy rides. I have 20" wheels and have them set to light load and tried rain/snow mode...they are still bumpy because I am in NYC.

Thinking about going to 19" wheels and tires which I remember were much more comfortable during test drive.

I wonder if 18" can fit the brakes for a F pace S.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same here on tire pressure. FPace S delivered to me with way over the recommended tire pressure for 22's. Makes no sense to me how that happens and will destroy a set of wheels before a new owner will even notice it. Inexcusable on dealer if you ask me. I can tell a big difference on normal mode (wife mode) vs dynamic (cat mode).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mine were at exactly the high setting for each wheel at delivery. Cred to the dealer in the regard that someone cared enough to nail it. On the other hand the car is much more civil when lowered to the light setting so if you haven't done so I agree with all above, changing it should be your first step.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Im not sure you should permanently drive around in rain/snow mode when conditions are okay... acceleration, driving dynamics and the traction system will be affected greatly by this. Border line dangerous to drive around in this mode when conditions dont call for it.

The ride is stiff, and I have been reminded of it by some of the people that are in the car often. Like others have said I would lower the tire pressure to 33-35 (set to light load) and the tires may soak up the bumps a bit more, but it will still be rough.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Ok firstly....setting your vehicle to light load on the tire pressure system doesn't change a single thing about how the car handles - it only affects at what point you get a warning about tire pressure.

Second, is anyone actually able to confirm that rain/snow mode modifies the ride settings for suspension to be any different than comfort? My understanding is it only modifies traction control and shift points. The only selectable options with ADSR are "normal" and "dynamic".

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4A/2017/T28409/23767_en_GBR/proc/G1913726

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Second, is anyone actually able to confirm that rain/snow mode modifies the ride settings for suspension to be any different than comfort? My understanding is it only modifies traction control and shift points. The only selectable options with ADSR are "normal" and "dynamic".

Jaguar Owner Information
Adaptive Dynamics equipped vehicles have "Dynamic", "Normal", "Eco", and "AdSR" and those without trade "AdSR" for "Rain/Ice/Snow". My limited experience with AdSR is that it also greatly reduced throttle response as well in an effort to provide dynamic stability in low traction environments. I would assume that adjustment to the suspension might be part of that but I don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Ok firstly....setting your vehicle to light load on the tire pressure system doesn't change a single thing about how the car handles
Maybe true for handling, but not for the feel and quality of the ride. IMHO

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think his point was that changing the setting doesn't make any adjustments, it's the act of reducing the tire pressure that provides the improvement.

Reactions: MtryAlex

·
Registered
589 Posts
Ok firstly....setting your vehicle to light load on the tire pressure system doesn't change a single thing about how the car handles - it only affects at what point you get a warning about tire pressure.
JWreck got us again. Of course changing to light load doesn't change the handling; you have to *also* let some air out of the tires! Once you do that, handling is greatly improved ;)

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Ok firstly....setting your vehicle to light load on the tire pressure system doesn't change a single thing about how the car handles
Huh? No, I'm responding to the allegations that changing the setting to "light load" WITHOUT letting air out of the tires does nothing. That setting is ONLY to adjust the level at which you are warned for over inflation or under inflation.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts

Jaguar Owner Information
Adaptive Dynamics equipped vehicles have "Dynamic", "Normal", "Eco", and "AdSR" and those without trade "AdSR" for "Rain/Ice/Snow". My limited experience with AdSR is that it also greatly reduced throttle response as well in an effort to provide dynamic stability in low traction environments. I would assume that adjustment to the suspension might be part of that but I don't know that for sure.
So, take it a level deeper. You're correct about what ADSR is. What you are missing was that the statement was centered around what levels of adjustment for components, specifically suspension, exist. And according to the manual (as well as my F Pace S with ADSR) there are two - "Normal" and "Dynamic".

So, one could conclude that setting the ADSR system to Rain/Snow doesn't actually soften the ride by modifying suspension.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So, take it a level deeper. You're correct about what ADSR is. What you are missing was that the statement was centered around what levels of adjustment for components, specifically suspension, exist. And according to the manual (as well as my F Pace S with ADSR) there are two - "Normal" and "Dynamic".

So, one could conclude that setting the ADSR system to Rain/Snow doesn't actually soften the ride by modifying suspension.
But you MIGHT be able to conclude that. There is only a "Normal" and "Dynamic" mode for "Engine" (throttle response). My experience in AdSR (rain/snow) is that that throttle response is reduced even greater than these two options provide in the Dynamic-i settings. There might be additional adjustments made to suspension as well, I don't have enough information to make any statements.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Jaguar Owner Information
Im pretty sure everyone saying "make sure it is set to light load" is in response to people telling him to let air out of the tires. If he doesn't know to set it to light load then he will have a constant warning about low tire pressure.

The Rain/snow setting doesn't change the electronic damping at all, theres two major settings for the dampers, Dynamic and non-dynamic. Like you said it only affects acceleration, traction, transmission etc. I dont know why someone would want to drive around in Rain/snow mode all the time, its like driving in Eco mode but multiplied by 20.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Huh? No, I'm responding to the allegations that changing the setting to "light load" WITHOUT letting air out of the tires does nothing. That setting is ONLY to adjust the level at which you are warned for over inflation or under inflation.
You are correct of course. I read something into the post that wasn't there. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts