Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see in the manual that during the 2000 mile breaking-in period that you should "Avoid high engine speeds (rpm)". What rpm level do you think Jaguar considers high? In my Porsche manual it noted 4200 as the rpm level not to exceed during the break in period. Thx.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I'd keep it under 4000 rpm...to be safe

·
Registered
473 Posts
How fast can you go with 4000-4200 RPMs?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Too bad for all the models on the lot...people test driving those things open it up over 4,000 RPM on the regular. I look forward to picking mine up with less than 30 miles on it!

Reactions: L-PACE

·
Registered
23 Posts

Approximately 129 mph in a 20d diesel version. (That's the published top speed and since max HP occurs at 4000rpm, it should just about coincide with top speed in highest gear)

in a 35t or S probably right around 100 mph. But it will take a decent amount of time to get there if you are not exceeding 4200 rpm along the way.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Fast enough! My diesel ticks along at well under 2000 rpm at 70 mph when in eco mode.
In my view an effective break-in period is accomplished by soft-footing the gas pedal. Everything else (rpm limits, allowing rings to seat, etc etc) follows as if by magic. And stomping the gas, even at low rpm, defeats the goals...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Approximately 129 mph in a 20d diesel version. (That's the published top speed and since max HP occurs at 4000rpm, it should just about coincide with top speed in highest gear)

in a 35t or S probably right around 100 mph. But it will take a decent amount of time to get there if you are not exceeding 4200 rpm along the way.
Fast enough! My diesel ticks along at well under 2000 rpm at 70 mph when in eco mode.
In my view an effective break-in period is accomplished by soft-footing the gas pedal. Everything else (rpm limits, allowing rings to seat, etc etc) follows as if by magic. And stomping the gas, even at low rpm, defeats the goals...
Thanks! That will be fast enough for me and not just for break-in period!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've seen a couple postings directly from Jaguar reps who provide the following:

RUNNING-IN
Running-in period
The following guide-lines will be useful in
obtaining optimum performance from your
new Jaguar. Jaguars are built using
high-precision manufacturing methods but the
moving parts of the engine must still bed in
relative to one another. This process occurs
mainly in the first 3,000 km (2,000 miles) of
operation.
During this Running-in period of 3,000 km
(2,000 miles) you should:
• Avoid frequent cold starts followed by
short-distance driving.
• Preferably take longer trips.
• Do not use full throttle during starts and
normal driving.
• Avoid continuous operation at high engine
speed and abrupt stops.
• Do not participate in track days, sports
driving schools or similar.
In addition specifically up to 2,000 km (1,200
miles):
• Drive at varying engine and road speeds,
but do not exceed an engine speed of 4500
rpm (revolutions per minute) and a road
speed of 170 km/h (105 mph).
From 2,000 km (1,200 miles) to 3,000 km
(2,000 miles):
• Engine and road speeds can be increased
gradually.
Engine speeds in excess of 5000rpm
should only be used briefly e.g. when
overtaking.
At all times, not just during the Running-in
period:
• Do not exceed 4,000 rpm until the engine
has reached full operating temperature.
• Avoid labouring the engine by operating
the engine in too high a gear at low speeds.

My personal opinion is that for many drivers this activity is not even remotely necessary because that is the way they will probably operate the vehicle 99% of the time anyway. Plus, aren't modern engines individually bench tested prior to installation? I'm reasonably sure that high rpms are part of that test. Of particular note is the statement regarding driving at varying engine and road speeds. Varying the engine speed would suggest not Jaguar-footing the gas pedal. In theory, some of the piston ring seating has to do with higher pressures that are obtained with a little more throttle (but not from a stop, or exceeding the recommended rpms, especially for an extended period in which higher temps occur).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Too bad for all the models on the lot...people test driving those things open it up over 4,000 RPM on the regular. I look forward to picking mine up with less than 30 miles on it!

Even if you buy an imported vehicle that has just been backed off the carrier into the dealer's lot, don't assume that it hasn't already been abused. I spent a very brief time over a winter break when I was in college working as a temp at the port of Baltimore (the "Ellis Island" to a lot of our F-Paces, lol). I was part of a group of near minimum wage employees tasked with shuffling new cars from lot to lot after the longshoremen had driven them off the ships. Let me just say that if the eventual owners of those cars had seen how they were treated at the port they probably would have bought something from Detroit. Mostly, I was driving Mitsubishis and Toyotas, and it was fun for a young lad to get to drive a new Starion, MR2, or Celica, and almost as much fun to experience first hand the handling characteristics of an early Suzuki Samarai. That said, some of the drivers were somewhat respectful to the vehicles, but there were a bunch that weren't. Admittedly, I was guilty of full throttle acceleration from a stop on a few occasions. But I witnessed some of the others do burnouts, neutral drops, donuts, hard braking, and even the occasional bumper tap all the while sneaking a smoke, drink, or snack while in the vehicle.

But there is possibly some good news...back when I did this I never drove any luxury brands (timeframe was pre Lexus) and I never drove any MBs, BMWs, etc. There may have been some restrictions on who the luxury car makers would allow in their vehicles. Rumor had it that the longshoremen were also shuffling the BMWs and MBs around on land. So with any luck, the typical F-Pace might be treated a little nice than a 1987 Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest (an early predecessor to the Lancer Evolution).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Even if you buy an imported vehicle that has just been backed off the carrier into the dealer's lot, don't assume that it hasn't already been abused. I spent a very brief time over a winter break when I was in college working as a temp at the port of Baltimore (the "Ellis Island" to a lot of our F-Paces, lol). I was part of a group of near minimum wage employees tasked with shuffling new cars from lot to lot after the longshoremen had driven them off the ships. Let me just say that if the eventual owners of those cars had seen how they were treated at the port they probably would have bought something from Detroit. Mostly, I was driving Mitsubishis and Toyotas, and it was fun for a young lad to get to drive a new Starion, MR2, or Celica, and almost as much fun to experience first hand the handling characteristics of an early Suzuki Samarai. That said, some of the drivers were somewhat respectful to the vehicles, but there were a bunch that weren't. Admittedly, I was guilty of full throttle acceleration from a stop on a few occasions. But I witnessed some of the others do burnouts, neutral drops, donuts, hard braking, and even the occasional bumper tap all the while sneaking a smoke, drink, or snack while in the vehicle.

But there is possibly some good news...back when I did this I never drove any luxury brands (timeframe was pre Lexus) and I never drove any MBs, BMWs, etc. There may have been some restrictions on who the luxury car makers would allow in their vehicles. Rumor had it that the longshoremen were also shuffling the BMWs and MBs around on land. So with any luck, the typical F-Pace might be treated a little nice than a 1987 Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest (an early predecessor to the Lancer Evolution).
There's a lot less opportunity for abuse there than on test drives. I was encouraged to go full throttle on a winding canyon road by my sales rep. I didn't, because I didn't want to wreck the car, but I did go full throttle on an on-ramp and took it up to 102mph before easing down.

I don't valet my cars for this reason. A short walk into a restaurant is nothing compared to having some teen aged kid go through my things, rip the leather, or rag out my car while parking it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Regarding break-in for diesel, I found some truth to long break-in claims. When I first got my 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen diesel, it averaged about 38 mpg. Two years later (and two weeks from returning it and picking up my JFP), it is averaging 45 mpg.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've seen a couple postings directly from Jaguar reps who provide the following:
My personal opinion is that for many drivers this activity is not even remotely necessary because that is the way they will probably operate the vehicle 99% of the time anyway.
True that! At least for me. Where I live and my regular commute does not require aggressive driving. For last few days I was paying closer attention of RPMs on my car. Only once it was over 4000 RPMs when I was passing very slow vehicle in front of me.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Regarding break-in for diesel, I found some truth to long break-in claims. When I first got my 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen diesel, it averaged about 38 mpg. Two years later (and two weeks from returning it and picking up my JFP), it is averaging 45 mpg.
And we have found just the opposite on our JGC Eco Diesel... mine got the best mileage at less than 12K miles before it got all of it's "Updates" to the ECM. Each mandatory flash "Dumbed it down" to it's current 26-28 MPG at 50K miles. Used to routinely get 30+ MPG when new....:| Hope JAG is better than that.....!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i bought mine with 1000 miles on it (dealer demo/sales managers car)...then did a steady 1200mile hwy drive to Vegas from DFW. In hind sight, not that it would have affected my purchase decision, i should have had the data pulled from the ECM to see how many trips to the rev limiter it saw in the previous 1000 miles. Its all logged, its all under warranty anyway, but i would have been curious. My car has been to red line 3 times with me.(now at 2400 miles after the long drive)..once with my wife...then each kid individually LOL...in SPORT mode. i wish i had my GoPro running. The smiles Per Gallon is really good!

They talk about break in yet when is the first OIL change due on these cars...answer me that LOL. I will be doing my own here in about another 600 miles. Im pulling the filter and having a base line oil analysis done also i think. Why not. Any one else done similar?

2017 F-Pace

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wish that the salesperson had pointed out the breaking in recommendations before I drove off the lot yesterday morning. First thing I did wrong was to take 3 or 4 short trips in Portland before leaving the city, forgetting to turn off the auto start-stop feature each time. Then I drove 180 miles on the freeway, mostly in cruise control, with about 2/3 of that being flat. So I probably drove about 2 hours at constant RPM.

Today I went out for a Sunday drive on winding undulating roads. I pulled over in the dirt next to an orchard and read the breaking in recommendations in the manual. So I drove in sport mode (but not dynamic) to avoid having the engine labor at low RPM. I won't drive in eco mode until after break in, and I'll remember to turn off auto stop-start and avoid driving at constant RPM.

At least my car had only 13 miles on it, and was still in the wrapping paper a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,418 Posts
Bring this back to life. I’m still at about 930 miles logged so far. How many of you really followed a break in of your car? Do you think a oil filter change at this time is really necessary in this day and age of precision machining. I am instead to hear what some of you have done.

Thanks
DP

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Nah, Not nearly as important as people have conjured up in their minds. There are no where near as many "Burrs and Chips" in engines as there may have been 20-30 years ago and there's a huge magnet in the pan anyways... Same with changing oil early... ( although going 20k on the diesel I prob won't do...) Absolutely no problem with going 10+k though... Every Blackstone test I've seen on Diesel synthetic oil shows plenty of life left at 10K... I usually just angle around once a year, and use the factory recommended oil and a good quality filter. Never had an oil related issue on any car I've owned since the 70's....

As far a break in goes, as long as you drive it normally and not like a F1 Driver, and may be don't tow anything for say the 1st 1k, all should be fine. Heck I picked my Brand new Cummins up on a fri nite at 9PM as dealer was closing, and promptly drove it 750 miles the next morning with a Huge loaded cargo trailer on the back (Manual said don't tow anything for at least 500 miles...). Fast forward 15 years and mega miles later, and it prob is more dependable then either my FP or JGC, and a lot less junk on it to go wrong.....

·
Registered
455 Posts

Everything about unloading cars said here is absolutely true. My (now deceased) father-in-law was a lifetime longshoreman. Oh the stories... he said those guys were on a time crunch from their bosses to get those cars off faster than a coked-out Domino Pizza delivery guy on a brutal delivery schedule. And he said the same thing - any owner who saw their car coming off that ship probably wouldn't want to buy it. And, my sister-in-law did that same job for a short time. Said the same thing about guys just brutally running those cars off the ship.

Regarding break-in, on any of MY cars.... I always treated them like new borns for the first 1000 miles or so thinking I'd actually keep the car forever - yeah right :rolleyes: - I keep forgetting my wife likes cars every 2 to 3 years... ugh. I remember our FPace being REALLY hot for the first 200 miles. It was super tight. Anyone abusing cars in those first 100 miles or so - so wrong.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Since I plan to keep this car a long time I followed the break in period, which basically meant I didn't put it in dynamic+sport for the first 2,000 miles. No oil change afterwards. And now I typically only drive in dynamic+sport... :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Equally important is to properly bed in the brakes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts