Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a Halloween marathon of F Pace video reviews, and one item besides all the standard criticisms that I noticed was a discussion of the braking system not quite as good as the rest of the vehicle. For you current owners, what's your observations?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Brakes are more than adequate, almost even good. Good initial bite, not a lot of pedal travel to stop and haven't had any fade during some spirited driving.

If someone is wanting a track style brake setup, they're looking at the wrong car.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Did a Halloween marathon of F Pace video reviews, and one item besides all the standard criticisms that I noticed was a discussion of the braking system not quite as good as the rest of the vehicle. For you current owners, what's your observations?
Four piston fixed calipers up front and single piston sliding calipers out back. Like JWreck said, decent initial bite, but I have had the opposite experience with brake travel. Coming to a stop when traveling at speed, lets say 65 MPH, is going to take a good amount of brake travel but there is no fade that I have noticed. The F-pace is heavy (anywhere from 39/4400 pounds depending on build). The S has the sport brake system and is what I am referring to. I think they could have put maybe 2 piston fixed calipers in the rear and made less brake travel, but other than that you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Four piston fixed calipers up front and single piston sliding calipers out back. Like JWreck said, decent initial bite, but I have had the opposite experience with brake travel. Coming to a stop when traveling at speed, lets say 65 MPH, is going to take a good amount of brake travel but there is no fade that I have noticed. The F-pace is heavy (anywhere from 39/4400 pounds depending on build). The S has the sport brake system and is what I am referring to. I think they could have put maybe 2 piston fixed calipers in the rear and made less brake travel, but other than that you will be fine.
I'm speaking from an S model perspective as well, just FYI OP.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The actual stopping distance is fine but the brake feel is a bit lacking. No fade that I noticed but I havent driven it hard enough to notice.

Overall not the strongest point of the car. German cars tend to have alot more bite.some people will appreciate the more relaxes nature. Not a track car by any means but more then good enough for the streets.

·
Registered
113 Posts
^^ What he said ^^

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have no clue as to the terms used here, all I can say is its taking me a little to adjust to this braking system compared to the one in Lexus RX350. I feel like a moron still, although I only have 500 miles on the F-Pace.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I have no clue as to the terms used here, all I can say is its taking me a little to adjust to this braking system compared to the one in Lexus RX350. I feel like a moron still, although I only have 500 miles on the F-Pace.
Haha no worries, so calipers are what grips the disc when you brake (on the S model they are red). Calipers can go from 1 piston all the way up to 8 (this is on a Lamborghini, I'm not sure if they go bigger). So the larger the piston the stronger the braking force. Both the front and rear have ventilated discs, just means there are spaces in the middle to keep the brakes color (this helps reduce fade). Solid discs do not have a space in the opening and tend to be in the rear on most cars.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No issues with the brakes. (S model) I have done several hard stops from over 100mph and it stops perfectly every time with no fade. I haven't tried to panic stop so the abs and stability system have not activated yet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
wait until it snows. Soon
No issues with the brakes. (S model) I have done several hard stops from over 100mph and it stops perfectly every time with no fade. I haven't tried to panic stop so the abs and stability system have not activated yet.
Wait until it snows. Soon

·
Registered
48 Posts
wait until it snows. Soon

Wait until it snows. Soon
That reminds me, have to get snow tires. I have the 22" Pirelli summer tires........
Q

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Are you sure?
There is no official info out there but I have a good rapport with my service manager and he looked into it for me. He couldn't even find any official details on it. I took it to a high end body shop near me, services Mclarens, Ferraris, Lamborghini's and a few bentleys. An associate there said, before even taking the wheel off, that its a four piston caliper. I also compared it to other SUVs with four piston calipers (specifically the GLC 43) and they match up almost perfectly in size.

So while its not 100%, I would put my confidence level at 99.9%.

You also have to remember that its a sport breaking system that has to stop 4300 pounds of car, there definitely way to big to be two pistons to, which helped narrow it down.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It looks like a sliding caliper to me. I'll try to look closer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
It looks like a sliding caliper to me. I'll try to look closer tomorrow.
The front caliper??? Look at the rear caliper and then the front, you will be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
It's clearly larger, but I'm pretty sure that the front caliper on both the F-Pace and F-Type are sliding/floating.

http://singlelens.net/2013/jaguar/slides/48-JAGUAR-brakes-piston-caliper.JPG
That link looks like its showing the rear caliper (way to small to be the front caliper). Again, to me it looked to be a four piston fixed caliper, then when I took it to a high end detail shop near me the guy I saw also told me it was a four piston fixed caliper.

In fact that link looks like it shows a two piston sliding caliper if I'm not mistaken, so maybe it is a two piston caliper in the rear.

·
Registered
77 Posts
All I can do is show you pictures, because Jaguar doesn't say what they are anywhere. Your high end detail guy is incorrect...which who cares...brakes aren't his job. Anyway, this is just a fun exercise in searching for unobtainable information. Anyone with a technical contact at Jaguar?

Jaguar MENA | F-PACE | CHASSIS

·
Registered
113 Posts
According to the service manual,

Hydraulic, servo assisted, self-adjusting with diagonal split hydraulic system, single piston sliding calipers to the front and single piston sliding calipers to the rear

1 - 20 of 72 Posts