Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had my brake squeal fixed two years ago and hasn't returned yet.
What did you do to get yours fixed??

One week ago today I had the rear rotors replaced. This morning the brakes were squeaking again. I've placed a call to the service manager already and waiting for a call back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife's 2018 F-Pace 25t developed the squeal last year at about 15,000 miles. Three trips to the dealer with no resolution. I honestly cannot believe how poorly my wife was treated by service advisers. She was told everything from: "Press the brake pedal harder" to "They're metallic sport car pads and they all make that noise." Jaguar's position seems to be deflect and blame the customer for any faults to save them money. You can tell by the service adviser responses that Jaguar is hurting for money. The dealer experience was so bad, I don't believe I would ever consider another Jaguar vehicle.

I finally ponied up the money to my local tire shop. They resurfaced all 4 stock rotors and replaced pads with an oem-material, non-Jaguar, set. The squeal is gone. I spent approximately $600, which I would have gladly paid earlier had I known. The noise was driving me to the point I was going to take a huge loss on selling the car because my wife was embarrassed to drive around with the squeal.

From my review of the European F-Pace forums, it's appears to be some sort of defect with the pad material that Jag knows about but chooses not to fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My wife's 2018 F-Pace 25t developed the squeal last year at about 15,000 miles. Three trips to the dealer with no resolution. I honestly cannot believe how poorly my wife was treated by service advisers. She was told everything from: "Press the brake pedal harder" to "They're metallic sport car pads and they all make that noise." Jaguar's position seems to be deflect and blame the customer for any faults to save them money. You can tell by the service adviser responses that Jaguar is hurting for money. The dealer experience was so bad, I don't believe I would ever consider another Jaguar vehicle.

I finally ponied up the money to my local tire shop. They resurfaced all 4 stock rotors and replaced pads with an oem-material, non-Jaguar, set. The squeal is gone. I spent approximately $600, which I would have gladly paid earlier had I known. The noise was driving me to the point I was going to take a huge loss on selling the car because my wife was embarrassed to drive around with the squeal.

From my review of the European F-Pace forums, it's appears to be some sort of defect with the pad material that Jag knows about but chooses not to fix.
That's all good to know. I will be returning mine for the 3rd time very soon. Already have an appointment date set. But, like you, I may end up shelling out $$ for OEM brake pads. Can you advise what brand has worked for your wife's car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lots of threads in this great forum on this topic. I joined the squeaky brake group about 9 months ago at about 19k miles. Sounds like there are two options: if you've a good/convenient dealer they should replace for free. Or do it yourself. My dealer is good but not convenient so I replaced myself. I used the exact same Bendix aftermarket units that Dakar09 listed in thread "Front brake squeal?". I replaced only the rear pads ( which had minimal wear and looked fine). Lubed everything but didn't touch the rotors. Knock wood, has been great for last 3 months/3k miles. My noise was never horrible, but it was certainly noticeable and very embarrassing. Note that the electric brake release for rears is tricky. I followed thread "Help - Electronic Brake Release..." in this forum. Drdavidjr2 gives a 16 step process. But a note on the electronic brake release: after you release the brake and turn off ignition, you can't shut the door. Dakar09 just left his door open, but he must be faster than me, because my car shut off electric after about 10 min and the brakes reset. So i had to modify slightly: get the car jacked up, wheel off, and the connector located, then release brake with switch, leave door open, remove connector. If you're still dinking around with pads when the car electric shuts down, the brakes don't clamp because the connector is off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update: Took my car back to the dealership on 2/3/20. It took them all week to finally replace the rear rotors and brake pads and without cost to me. On my way to to the dealership on that Friday afternoon, a rock shot out from under the tire of another car and cracked the windshield of the Land Rover Discovery I had all week. Ain't that a peach? Yep, had to submit that to my insurance. At any rate, so far I haven't heard any more brake squeals and squeaks on my F Pace. When it does happen again, I am buying a set of ceramic pads!
What's interesting about the entire process is that my dealership supposedly replaced the rear rotors during a previous visit and did not replace the pads, too. It had only been 3 weeks between the rotor replacement and the last visit. I was informed the rotors were warped and run out was out of tolerance. Could it possibly be they didn't replace the rotors during the previous visit? I would say yes to that. All they did, in my opinion, was grease the heck out of the hardware...which is why the noises came back within 2 days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ouch, that sucks about the windshield on the loaner vehicle!!
I once had a loaner broken into (back windows smashed) and my work-bag stolen, so I know the feeling. I sucks to pay a deductible on a vehicle that's not even yours....

Awesome that you were able to get your dealer to cover the replacement though! I didn't have such luck and replaced them with 3rd party pads/rotors. All the squealing is gone and I have my sanity back :giggle:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ouch, that sucks about the windshield on the loaner vehicle!!
I once had a loaner broken into (back windows smashed) and my work-bag stolen, so I know the feeling. I sucks to pay a deductible on a vehicle that's not even yours....
Something you might consider:
My state's insurance does not have free windscreen replacement, as many states do.
I lowered the deductible on my comprehensive coverage from $500 to $0 at an increase of $65 per year, so in effect this gives me free windshield replacement.
With all the broken windshields from road hazards and thefts, I thought this would be a smart move.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Something you might consider:
My state's insurance does not have free windscreen replacement, as many states do.
I lowered the deductible on my comprehensive coverage from $500 to $0 at an increase of $65 per year, so in effect this gives me free windshield replacement.
With all the broken windshields from road hazards and thefts, I thought this would be a smart move.
Totally agree and that's what I did when I bought the F Pace. I added this to my policy, so I had a 0 deductible for the windshield. Otherwise, the deductible for me would have been $250 under comprehensive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Went to the dealer again as the noise has gotten really bad. It's even squealing as I'm rolling around off the brakes. Dealer says it's wear and tear and will gladly change the brakes for $900

21 - 29 of 29 Posts