Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Wondering if anyone has heard about this problem. I have a chequered flag special edition F pace that has now done 2700 miles. I started hearing a loud screeching noise, slightly louder and more metallic than the usual brake squeal intermittently when locking the wheel right or left. I took it to the service guys who basically told me it was a problem with 'the brand' There is some substance that is forming in the disc or brake pads that causes this. They can take them off and clean it (for 300 notes, not under warranty) with no guarantee it won't happen again!
This sounds ridiculous to me. Does anyone have any knowledge of similar problems? I am already miffed that I had to take it back after 1000 miles because the battery died and I'm starting to think about how I can return the car! The dealership so far is quite sympathetic but that's all. Some advice on how I can push this all the way to get some action would be appreciated.
thanks
Jo

·
Registered
994 Posts
So let me understand your situation.
Dead battery and screeching brakes and you're considering returning the car?
Maybe try another dealer first.

·
Registered
265 Posts
There is a TSB for squeaking breaks on the F-Pace. I had a real issues with squeaky breaks on my 2017 S and ended up having the dealer replace the roters and pads on both the front and back. They had to record the sound, send the audio recordings to JLRNA then the service was authorized.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,256 Posts
There is a TSB for squeaking breaks on the F-Pace. I had a real issues with squeaky breaks on my 2017 S and ended up having the dealer replace the roters and pads on both the front and back. They had to record the sound, send the audio recordings to JLRNA then the service was authorized.

Hope this helps.
Did it sound like a train coming in to the station ? The ones that I have heard that are really bad sound just like that.

DP

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just this week I replaced my front breaks/rotors for this very issue (which has been driving me crazy for months).

I drove away from my mechanic with a smile on my face thinking it was gone forever only to hear a slightly fainter squeal now coming from my rear breaks.

This damn car....can’t ever win....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I belong to this group of squeaking/squealing brakes now. My 2018 F Pace 20D Prestige started the noises after putting a little of 12,000 miles on it. Bought the car last Feb. I took the car to the dealership the day after Christmas and all they did was lubricate the brakes. I knew this was not going to solve the issue and told them so. At any rate, I took the car back on Jan. 2nd and they still have it. Usually the squeaks and squeals happen on a cool or cold morning while light braking (50F and less) but abate after the brakes have heated up. I have even noticed the same on the 2019 25T loaner that I'm driving now. The loaner has a little over 4,000 miles on it! I'm assuming my dealership is making audio recordings of the noises each day in order to send to JLR to see if they will pay for replacing the brakes. Other than this annoyance, I have had no major issues with the car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I belong to this group of squeaking/squealing brakes now. My 2018 F Pace 20D Prestige started the noises after putting a little of 12,000 miles on it. Bought the car last Feb. I took the car to the dealership the day after Christmas and all they did was lubricate the brakes. I knew this was not going to solve the issue and told them so. At any rate, I took the car back on Jan. 2nd and they still have it. Usually the squeaks and squeals happen on a cool or cold morning while light braking (50F and less) but abate after the brakes have heated up. I have even noticed the same on the 2019 25T loaner that I'm driving now. The loaner has a little over 4,000 miles on it! I'm assuming my dealership is making audio recordings of the noises each day in order to send to JLR to see if they will pay for replacing the brakes. Other than this annoyance, I have had no major issues with the car.
Positive they are at least looking at it for you! Let me know how it works out as I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about my rear breaks.
My dealership quoted me for a replacement breaks even though they admitted the pads/rotors looked almost brand new, didn't offer to lubricate them at all.

Front Pads/Rotors: $944.26 + Tax ($733.76 to have them sanded/refinished)
Rear Pads/Rotors: $960 + Tax

Good luck!
Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
Positive they are at least looking at it for you! Let me know how it works out as I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about my rear breaks.
My dealership quoted me for a replacement breaks even though they admitted the pads/rotors looked almost brand new, didn't offer to lubricate them at all.

Front Pads/Rotors: $944.26 + Tax ($733.76 to have them sanded/refinished)
Rear Pads/Rotors: $960 + Tax

Good luck!
Mark
Holy smokes! I had no idea brakes on this car are that expensive. But, if the dealer is going to do the job, I can see why?. I had better go get a second job so that I can afford the maintenance after the warranty is gone ??

I didn't elaborate in my previous post that the noises on my car are coming from the rear brakes. The tech manager told me the pads have no wear on the front or rear. Of course I'm not hard on brakes at all. By the way, in all of the posts I have seen regarding the same issues, does there seem to be a common theme as far as the main culprit goes or are there multiple factors as to why this happens with the F Pace? I recall the service manager tried to convince me that it's the way it is with the F Pace. My response? "Not acceptable...keep the car until you get it fixed!" Haha!

·
Registered
31 Posts
my rear passenger squeals very badly. I took my 2017 premium diesel in and they said they "deglazed" the pad. Pulling out of the dealer it squealed again. The squeal has gotten much worse over the last 2k miles. I plan to bring it in again and complain. It is very annoying. I dont mind buying new pads, but i'd rather exhaust my options at the dealer and warranty first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not long after I responded to Mark, I got a call from the service manager advising my car was ready for pick up. I waited until I got there to get a full description of what they did to solve the problem. Quote, "Abnormal wear on brake rotors...both rear brake rotors replaced, greased all required hardware and contacts. Applied coat of stop squeal to pads and road tested to check for noise. None at this time"

Of course tomorrow morning will be the defining moment while the brakes are good and cold.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm not to bright , but why should anyone have to pay anything to fix this if your pads and rotors are in "good" shape? Its obviously a mechanism issue and not worn out parts...
I think it dealers trying for a cash grab on a defective caliper,etc…..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not to bright , but why should anyone have to pay anything to fix this if your pads and rotors are in "good" shape? Its obviously a mechanism issue and not worn out parts...
I think it dealers trying for a cash grab on a defective caliper,etc…..
You are correct. Fortunately my dealership hasn't tried to push the cost on to me. I was prepared to fight tooth and nail if they had attempted such a thing. At any rate, I heard no squeaks and squeals on this cold morning, but I will give it a day or 2 to see if the gremlins decide to rear their ugly heads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's of course a cash grab, but on Jaguar's end and not the dealers. They changed the warranty on breaks (and other wear and tear items I believe) to be 12,000 miles or 12 months from the date of purchase.

Doesn't seem to matter that there is a service bulletin open for this issue and that it seems to plague a lot of vehicles, its a problem with the pad design for sure.

Joeflyer - Have my fingers crossed for you that it doesn't return!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's of course a cash grab, but on Jaguar's end and not the dealers. They changed the warranty on breaks (and other wear and tear items I believe) to be 12,000 miles or 12 months from the date of purchase.

Doesn't seem to matter that there is a service bulletin open for this issue and that it seems to plague a lot of vehicles, its a problem with the pad design for sure.

Joeflyer - Have my fingers crossed for you that it doesn't return!!
Mark, is it strictly a pad design and not rotors,too? My service manager didn't attempt to elude to an overall poor design but came close to it. He was trying to play ignorant as much as he could on the design part of it. He also stated that JLR cleared the service bulletin on the brake issue some time ago because of so many complaints. My gut feeling is that I will continue to have these issues down the road...perhaps sooner than later. This should be a wake-up call for JLR to correctly design the brakes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a ‘19 SVR. Brakes consistently squeal but for right now not obnoxious enough to warrant a special trip to take it in. Plan to handle it at next service. Problem doesn’t seem related to temperature. I do find myself playing around with pedal pressure to minimize the noise. Might not last til service time if it gets worse!

·
F Pace Expert
2,630 Posts
I had my brake squeal fixed two years ago and hasn't returned yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts