Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I, unfortunately, live in an area that gets a lot of snow. With snow comes salt and with salt comes corrosion.

I noticed that with my last car, the rear rotor hubs (and to a lesser extent, all four calipers) rusted prematurely, presumably due to the salt. After the first winter, the rear rotor hubs were coated 60% with rust. I had nice wheels, but you could easily see through the spokes and noticed the brown/orange mess. I’m sure this doesn’t bother a lot of people, but to me, it’s not a good look for a car only a few months old.

On my FP S, the calipers are painted red, so I’m hoping that they will not corrode from the elements. When I wash the car, I take the time to also wash the painted calipers and, as best I can, seal them with a spray-on wheel sealant. We’ll see how it holds up.

I also noticed that the rotor hubs appear to be painted or coated. In other words, they don’t appear to be bare metal like the rotor hubs on my Audi, at least from I can tell. Again, I’m hoping Jaguar had the forethought to coat the rotor hubs with a paint or material that would resist corrosion. I really don’t want to look at my wheels In April after my spring detail and see rusted brakes.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with Jaguar brakes regarding this topic?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
The calipers are powder coated so there should be no problem there. As far as the rotors are concerned if rust appears on them towards the hub the best bet would be to use a wire brush as the corrosion is only surface deep and should easily come off.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cleaned my wheels yesterday to see how everything was holding up after about 5 weeks of extreme amounts of salt. As I mentioned before, I'm primarily concerned about visible brake rust (not the temporary rust film that forms on the rotor disc).

The powder coating on the calipers is holding up well. And, unlike Audi, who evidently thinks that all of its customers live in Arizona, Jaguar had the common sense to paint its rotor hubs black. Therefore, I noticed no rust on the hubs. So far so good.

But one area of concern are the unpainted pieces of metal on the front of the calipers. I can't really describe it well, but look at your calipers and you will see what I mean. Since those pieces aren't painted, there is a risk of rust, and seeing as how they sit right in front of the caliper, rust in that location would be very visible just from looking down at the wheel. Just have to wait and see I guess.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
I cleaned my wheels yesterday to see how everything was holding up after about 5 weeks of extreme amounts of salt. As I mentioned before, I'm primarily concerned about visible brake rust (not the temporary rust film that forms on the rotor disc).

The powder coating on the calipers is holding up well. And, unlike Audi, who evidently thinks that all of its customers live in Arizona, Jaguar had the common sense to paint its rotor hubs black. Therefore, I noticed no rust on the hubs. So far so good.

But one area of concern are the unpainted pieces of metal on the front of the calipers. I can't really describe it well, but look at your calipers and you will see what I mean. Since those pieces aren't painted, there is a risk of rust, and seeing as how they sit right in front of the caliper, rust in that location would be very visible just from looking down at the wheel. Just have to wait and see I guess.
A picture is worth a thousand words. I would say if you have a concern now would be the time to get those parts protected/painted. Otherwise as you say "Just have to wait and see I guess".

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I hate to burst your bubble, but I think some corrosion is inevitable.
The only way your going to stop corrosion, is to take your FP off the road, put it away for the winter, and drive a beater.:)
.....or move south.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been applying a polymer wheel sealant from autogeek on the calipers and exposed pieces I'm concerned about. I'm hoping that, after regular cleanings, will minimize corrosion. But painting would be ideal.

And regarding moving, I'm jealous of these FL, CA and AZ guys on here. Their cars will look pristine in three years. **** salt.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, as I expected, my front calipers are starting to rust. Not the red painted portion of the caliper, but the vertical, unpainted piece of metal that sits in the front of the front calipers. If you're looking at your front calipers on the S, the unpainted gray metal piece stands out easily through the wheel spokes, especially when it's rusting. Not sure why Jaguar didn't paint that piece.

So tonight, I'm going to see if I can remove the rust with what I have at home. I will use some metal polish - Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish - to see if that will work. If not, I'll have to try/buy something else. Great way to spend a Friday night.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been applying a polymer wheel sealant from autogeek on the calipers and exposed pieces I'm concerned about. I'm hoping that, after regular cleanings, will minimize corrosion. But painting would be ideal.

And regarding moving, I'm jealous of these FL, CA and AZ guys on here. Their cars will look pristine in three years. **** salt.

I'm one of those CA guys you are jealous of but it would be interesting to see exactly what you are referring to. Can you take a picture? I'm sure others would like to see.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm one of those CA guys you are jealous of but it would be interesting to see exactly what you are referring to. Can you take a picture? I'm sure others would like to see.
I've attached pics. Please excuse all the salt. The wheels really need to be cleaned up, which is what I plan to do tonight. As you can see, rust is starting to form on that stupid unpainted gray piece. Does anyone know if it's possible for just that gray piece to be replaced or is it part of the caliper?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
"I cleaned my wheels yesterday to see how everything was holding up after about *5 weeks* of EXTREME amounts of SALT"
Am I reading this correctly ? Did you let "SALT" residue sit on your wheels and I assume everything else , for *5-WEEKS* ??? And you're complaining about RUST ???

IMO , this is a simple case of NEGLECT !!! I do not claim to WASH my vehicles as often as some other members on here , but ANYTIME our roads get *SALT Treatment* , I wash the entire vehicle ASAP afterwards ! Your pictures of the calipers and parts look like they are from a car that was deserted in a field ! I honestly don't feel that *SALT* is to blame here !
Salt is just like $hit , IT HAPPENS ! It's what you do immediately afterwards that matters ! >:)

Reactions: JK8112

·
Registered
154 Posts
HMMM, my calipers still look pristine but I wash my F-Pace whenever possible. It not only extends the life of the exposed parts but I HATE driving a dirty car. By the way, this is the salt capitol of the world when it comes to dumping the stuff by the tons on every paved surface they can find.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Am I reading this correctly ? Did you let "SALT" residue sit on your wheels and I assume everything else , for *5-WEEKS* ??? And you're complaining about RUST ???

IMO , this is a simple case of NEGLECT !!! I do not claim to WASH my vehicles as often as some other members on here , but ANYTIME our roads get *SALT Treatment* , I wash the entire vehicle ASAP afterwards ! Your pictures of the calipers and parts look like they are from a car that was deserted in a field ! I honestly don't feel that *SALT* is to blame here !
Salt is just like $hit , IT HAPPENS ! It's what you do immediately afterwards that matters ! >:)
Are you kidding me? You live in freakin' Maryland, where you get about 25 inches of snow per year. In some parts of the country that have a real winter, it snows most days during the winter, so salt is routinely applied almost daily all winter. So you wash the salt off, and then as soon as you drive on the road, within 10 seconds your car is full of salt. And in that situation, you better hope that every square inch of the exterior of your car was bone dry after the wash because as soon as drive it and it gets caked with salt, that salt will react with the residual moisture on the car, which would accelerate corrosion. Your approach is not workable where I live and would likely increase corrosion.

Untreated metal exposed to daily salt and moisture will corrode, which is why I don't understand why they didn't also paint that piece red.
The powder coated red portion of the caliper (as well as the painted rotor hub) has held up well and has no corrosion (although as noted above, I do routinely treat/seal my calipers). What you see in the picture on the red area is salt and dirt, not corrosion.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Are you kidding me? You live in freakin' Maryland, where you get about 25 inches of snow per year. In some parts of the country that have a real winter, it snows most days during the winter, so salt is routinely applied almost daily all winter. So you wash the salt off, and then as soon as you drive on the road, within 10 seconds your car is full of salt. And in that situation, you better hope that every square inch of the exterior of your car was bone dry after the wash because as soon as drive it and it gets caked with salt, that salt will react with the residual moisture on the car, which would accelerate corrosion. Your approach is not workable where I live and would likely increase corrosion.

Untreated metal exposed to daily salt and moisture will corrode, which is why I don't understand why they didn't also paint that piece red.
The powder coated red portion of the caliper (as well as the painted rotor hub) has held up well and has no corrosion (although as noted above, I do routinely treat/seal my calipers). What you see in the picture on the red area is salt and dirt, not corrosion.
Since you are not denying it , I guess this means that I did indeed read your post "correctly" ! Your F-Pace had *5-WEEKS* worth of Salt on it ! If "my approach is NOT WORKABLE" , then how come JK8112 says his looks "pristine" , and he even lives in the "salt capital of the world" ? You even admitted that the vehicle you had before this one "rusted PREMATURELY" , I think I have a pretty good idea WHY !
Have A Great Day !
Sincerely , *GR* in Sunny Maryland :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since you are not denying it , I guess this means that I did indeed read your post "correctly" ! Your F-Pace had *5-WEEKS* worth of Salt on it ! If "my approach is NOT WORKABLE" , then how come JK8112 says his looks "pristine" , and he even lives in the "salt capital of the world" ? You even admitted that the vehicle you had before this one "rusted PREMATURELY" , I think I have a pretty good idea WHY !
Have A Great Day !
Sincerely , *GR* in Sunny Maryland :)
Yes, 5 weeks. You're correct. Most go longer in this part of the country (in fact, much longer) since it snows virtually every day all winter and salt is applied to the roads almost every day.

And, yes, the rotor hubs on my A6 rusted prematurely. It is not unusual to see corrosion on brand new A6 and A7 rotor hubs in showrooms or on lots. It's been a common problem for certain Audi vehicles, made worse in snowbelt regions of the US. I even used Finish Kare Hi Temp paste wax on my A6 rotor hubs, but they still corroded extremely early (albeit, much less corrosion than other A6s in my area).

And keep up the good work. Your passive aggressive posts will soon make you the most annoying person on this freakin' forum. >:)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yes, 5 weeks. You're correct. Most go longer in this part of the country (in fact, much longer) since it snows virtually every day all winter and salt is applied to the roads almost every day.

And, yes, the rotor hubs on my A6 rusted prematurely. It is not unusual to see corrosion on brand new A6 and A7 rotor hubs in showrooms or on lots. It's been a common problem for certain Audi vehicles, made worse in snowbelt regions of the US. I even used Finish Kare Hi Temp paste wax on my A6 rotor hubs, but they still corroded extremely early (albeit, much less corrosion than other A6s in my area).

And keep up the good work. Your passive aggressive posts will soon make you the most annoying person on this freakin' forum. >:)
Calm Down , Calm Down ! If it makes you feel ANY Better , I am pretty sure that *GR* is ALREADY the "Most Annoying Person On This Freakin' Forum" !!! >:)

And I was really being sincere , when I said "Have A Great Day" ! :) I wish that on everyone ! :)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I am pretty sure that *GR* is ALREADY the "Most Annoying Person On This Freakin' Forum" !!! >:)
I see a new poll in our future, but who would compete? As for this rust issue, I had to go take a close look at mine, no sign of it like the OP has shown. I do not think they use salt in the Denver Metro area, but have heard it used on the highway system, so something to be aware of for sure. You all know that JLR cut some corners on this amazing thing, taking from some areas to give to others, and I am not sure a bit of surface rust does any harm except if you look really closely. Pick your issues, and let's not get too excited about this (or cup holder covers and paint colors and slightly maligned bonnets).

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I see a new poll in our future, but who would compete? As for this rust issue, I had to go take a close look at mine, no sign of it like the OP has shown. I do not think they use salt in the Denver Metro area, but have heard it used on the highway system, so something to be aware of for sure. You all know that JLR cut some corners on this amazing thing, taking from some areas to give to others, and I am not sure a bit of surface rust does any harm except if you look really closely. Pick your issues, and let's not get too excited about this (or cup holder covers and paint colors and slightly maligned bonnets).
You left out the *Thoughtful* part of my sentence ! "If it makes you feel ANY Better" ! >:)
Convenient *Editing* on your part ! ;)
Why don't you go post a Music Video or something ! >:)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've heard that before on here about Denver. How do they keep the roads passable if they don't use salt?

As far as the rust, I have no problem admitting that I go overboard when it comes to cosmetic imperfections in my car. To put things in perspective, when I will do my spring detail in a few months, it will literally take me 2 full days for the exterior alone. Even though everyone's car around here has rusted brakes, it still aggravates me. Hopefully, I can remove some of it tonight and try a different sealant on that untreated piece. May can't come soon enough.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The thing here is that when it freezes, it seldom lasts for more than a few days. 300 days of sunshine, even when the temps are in the 20's, the sun and extremely low humidity do wonders for keeping the roads clear.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Do they use de-icer in Denver these days? That is what we have in MT, so no salt, but that sh** is nasty if left sitting on your vehicle as well.
Gotta say I do love the lack of snow here in TX (as well as the previous 7 years in S. AZ).

Reactions: GRVR
1 - 20 of 37 Posts