Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am considering strongly the FPace. 2 cars ago I had the Audi Q7 in its first year of production and there were major brake problems with it meaning that every 10K miles I needed new brakes. Fortunately I was "lucky" in that my back ones lasted 20K but it mean that I was having to spend 1000.00 every 6 months replacing either the front or rear brakes. I loved the car, but it was clearly too heavy for the sport brakes on the car and Audi knew it and should have had a recall. We ended up getting rid of that car for that reason alone. So, I am concerned with the FPace and being a new model for Jaguar and a heavy one at that if the brakes are going to be reliable and heavy enough for the car. Any techs know what the expected lifespan is? Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can't imagine needing new brakes that often on any vehicle - you must slam it to a stop! :)

The only wish I had on the brakes is for it to not roll forward until my foot is completely off the pedal. Former car was Jeep Grand Cherokee and when at a stop, once the car stopped, I could ease pressure off the pedal - my foot still on but not pressing down - until ready to go forward. The electric brakes would keep the car stopped. The F-Pace is taking me some time to get used to that roll. And the engine is heavily torqued so it tends to jump at the chance of you pressing on the gas. Or maybe there is a setting on the electric brakes on the FPace that can be adjusted to acknowledge any pressure on the break of a stopped vehicle would keep it stopped...?

·
F Pace Expert
2,561 Posts
I'd doubt anyone on here has enough miles to answer that question. Seems like an item that might be convered by the built in service and five year warranty. I'd post that one directly to a dealer and get the answer in writing. Be sure to let us know what the answer is because that's a good question.

Reactions: OneTwo

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I'm actually wanting to pop a caliper off and see what setup it has (floating or fixed) myself. Definitely semi-metallic pads, standard full face rotors.

Comparing the Q7 to the F Pace....remember that the Q7 weighs a solid 1200lbs more than the F Pace (thanks, aluminum). That's a huge difference in required stopping force alone.

I wouldn't expect these front brakes, at least on an S like we have, to last longer than 40-50k miles, though. Rears will probably last as long as most people will be leasing this thing, if not double.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I'd doubt anyone on here has enough miles to answer that question. Seems like an item that might be convered by the built in service and five year warranty. I'd post that one directly to a dealer and get the answer in writing. Be sure to let us know what the answer is because that's a good question.
Nope. Jaguar considers brake pads and rotors to be wear and tear items so they aren't covered, unless it's a manufacturer defect causing an issue.

In rare cases I've seen dealers change pads/rotors for excessively worn brakes before hitting 12k miles or 1 year, but generally speaking, that almost never happens.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi. I am considering strongly the FPace. 2 cars ago I had the Audi Q7 in its first year of production and there were major brake problems with it meaning that every 10K miles I needed new brakes. Fortunately I was "lucky" in that my back ones lasted 20K but it mean that I was having to spend 1000.00 every 6 months replacing either the front or rear brakes. I loved the car, but it was clearly too heavy for the sport brakes on the car and Audi knew it and should have had a recall. We ended up getting rid of that car for that reason alone. So, I am concerned with the FPace and being a new model for Jaguar and a heavy one at that if the brakes are going to be reliable and heavy enough for the car. Any techs know what the expected lifespan is? Thanks.

Are you a rural route mail delivery person?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm actually wanting to pop a caliper off and see what setup it has (floating or fixed) myself. Definitely semi-metallic pads, standard full face rotors.

Comparing the Q7 to the F Pace....remember that the Q7 weighs a solid 1200lbs more than the F Pace (thanks, aluminum). That's a huge difference in required stopping force alone.

I wouldn't expect these front brakes, at least on an S like we have, to last longer than 40-50k miles, though. Rears will probably last as long as most people will be leasing this thing, if not double.
Thanks. That makes sense. I'm sure you can see we are a little gun shy after that fiasco. To be told we were "lucky" to only have to bring it in every six months because most were doing double about made my husband explode. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,876 Posts
Make you a bet that if you compare the two cars and find out the 60 to 0 stopping footage you will find that the Q7 takes more stopping room. Brake pad compound for the most part dictates stopping and wear and tear. I have 1500 miles on mine and not an ounce of brake dust on the wheels. Read this article it may answer some of your questions.

Brake Pad FAQs

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can't imagine needing new brakes that often on any vehicle - you must slam it to a stop! :)

The only wish I had on the brakes is for it to not roll forward until my foot is completely off the pedal. Former car was Jeep Grand Cherokee and when at a stop, once the car stopped, I could ease pressure off the pedal - my foot still on but not pressing down - until ready to go forward. The electric brakes would keep the car stopped. The F-Pace is taking me some time to get used to that roll. And the engine is heavily torqued so it tends to jump at the chance of you pressing on the gas. Or maybe there is a setting on the electric brakes on the FPace that can be adjusted to acknowledge any pressure on the break of a stopped vehicle would keep it stopped...?
you may wish to refer to this thread, not exactly behaving like your old car, but this was what i asked and later figured out, and I used it ALL THE TIME: http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/jaguar-f-pace-general-discussion-forum/10273-hold-function-braking.html

Nope. Jaguar considers brake pads and rotors to be wear and tear items so they aren't covered, unless it's a manufacturer defect causing an issue.

In rare cases I've seen dealers change pads/rotors for excessively worn brakes before hitting 12k miles or 1 year, but generally speaking, that almost never happens.
Although I lean towards Manufacturer won't admit it's defect, but if a car needing to replace brake pads every 6 months or even every year (given reasonable milage), this scenario would sound like defect to me, no? (but then again, it may be tough to argue if the Manufacturer does not admit the defect.... :( )

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Can't imagine needing new brakes that often on any vehicle - you must slam it to a stop!

you may wish to refer to this thread, not exactly behaving like your old car, but this was what i asked and later figured out, and I used it ALL THE TIME: http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/jaguar-f-pace-general-discussion-forum/10273-hold-function-braking.html

Although I lean towards Manufacturer won't admit it's defect, but if a car needing to replace brake pads every 6 months or even every year (given reasonable milage), this scenario would sound like defect to me, no? (but then again, it may be tough to argue if the Manufacturer does not admit the defect....
)
Yep, therein lies the issue...most wouldn't admit it until it's too late.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Can not be worse than my 2011 X3 2.8i. When I sold it a few weeks ago had just under 60,000 kilometers or about 39,000 miles. BMW replaced the pads all around when under the scheduled maintenance program about two years ago, at no charge and to sell it privately in Ontario which I did the vehicle has to be certified and my mechanic who I trust completely told me to certify he had to put on new brakes, calipers and rotors all around. In other words two brakes jobs all around within 60,000 kilometers or 39,000 miles.

Although most of my driving is stop and go city I am not a fast driver or hard on my brakes. To me the brake wear was excessive but BMW is known generally for this. Also both sets of pads caused brake dust to accumulate on the rims. Each time I washed the Bimmer which was about every two weeks there was lots of brake dust. Also a known BMW issue but I know also it depends on the pad material.

I only have driven about 1000 kilometers in my F Pace but so far no brake dust accumulation. The Jaguar service intervals for the F Pace have to be better than the my X3

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just turned 25,000 miles. The brake pads look like they are 50% of original thickness. I drive fast so if they go 50k I will be very happy.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I have just turned 25,000 miles. The brake pads look like they are 50% of original thickness. I drive fast so if they go 50k I will be very happy.
How are you able to tell? I dont really remember how thick the brake pads were.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm at 18k miles and was fine with brake pads when the FP was in for service at 15k miles.

Audi's are known for going through pads quickly, especially their S variants. The bigger SUVs will wear through pads quickly. 15k-20k miles is not far off...every 10k miles does seem really off though.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

Single piston Floating calipers on all four wheels

·
Registered
73 Posts
A

Jaguar learned a very hard lesson with premature brake pad wear on the first generation XF in 2008. I remember having rear pads replaced at only 8000 miles which I refused to pay for back in 2008 but on the 3 XF s I had later no pads were needed in around 32000 miles on all of them. I hope that Jaguar would have done their homework on the F Pace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts