Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I was cursing down the Mass Pike today, the temperature gauge read 100 degrees outside. Suddenly I get a "break pad wear" warning. I drive to my destination, was there for a few hours and then drive home. The warning isn't there when I start up. But it comes back on 20 minutes later while driving at 75 miles per hour (90 outside), without my foot on the brake.

Anyone have issues with the system? I can't believe they are worn at less than 10K miles.

Guess I'll be making a trip in to the shop.

Dave

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have nearly 14000 miles, driven through constant 100 degree humid weather here in SE PA and have not had that warning. Sounds like it is more likely a fault in the system than it is the brake pads.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey everyone,

I was cursing down the Mass Pike today, the temperature gauge read 100 degrees outside. Suddenly I get a "break pad wear" warning. I drive to my destination, was there for a few hours and then drive home. The warning isn't there when I start up. But it comes back on 20 minutes later while driving at 75 miles per hour (90 outside), without my foot on the brake.

Anyone have issues with the system? I can't believe they are worn at less than 10K miles.

Guess I'll be making a trip in to the shop.

Dave
I just had mine in for some updates and they did a normal inspection. Showed 10mm left on the pads which equates to about 50% wear. 9500 miles of pretty hard driving.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Did you have much *SALT* put down on the roads up there in MA this winter ??? Maybe that could be causing a *SENSOR* to just be getting a false reading ???
Just trying to think of possibilities !!! :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I just had mine in for some updates and they did a normal inspection. Showed 10mm left on the pads which equates to about 50% wear. 9500 miles of pretty hard driving.
Thats pretty troubling to only expect 19,000 miles out of brake pads.

Reactions: EagleJag

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Thats pretty troubling to only expect 19,000 miles out of brake pads.
Perhaps someone is riding the brake all the time with their other foot?? We've got 16k miles and I'd wager that less than 25% of the pads are gone. Maybe 30%. For what I can assume by the squeal are semi metallic pads they're holding up decently.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Its about 65% driving style and 35% quality of materials used... If you are hard on them, they could be gone by 20K easily... But if they use low line pads etc.. that won't help things... I've got over 50K on my JGC and still have 30% OEM pad left, not unusual to get 60+K out of them I am told....

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Perhaps someone is riding the brake all the time with their other foot?? We've got 16k miles and I'd wager that less than 25% of the pads are gone. Maybe 30%. For what I can assume by the squeal are semi metallic pads they're holding up decently.
I also have squeal, only when the car is first started in the morning, it seems after the first braking they don't squeal after that. Maybe because they got warmed up, not sure.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Gotta love those Boston drivers! At least Dave was directing it at someone else this time ;)
I noticed that too, but I usually curse at the drivers, not the road :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotta love those Boston drivers! At least Dave was directing it at someone else this time ;)

Well, so much for proofreading my posts! Just for the record, I do know the difference between cruising and cursing :)

I will also say that I am not a Mass native, so please don't hold their driving skills against me. I also personally take offense that someone would think i would "ride" the break. I would never!

I honestly just think it's a sensor, but we shall see. Need to make an appointment and just haven't had time! And I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the salt. I only drive a few times a week, so the Jag didn't see much snow this winter.

I'll update the thread when I find out more. Until then, I'll keep cursing the Mass Pike!

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, so much for proofreading my posts! Just for the record, I do know the difference between cruising and cursing :)

I will also say that I am not a Mass native, so please don't hold their driving skills against me. I also personally take offense that someone would think i would "ride" the break. I would never!

I honestly just think it's a sensor, but we shall see. Need to make an appointment and just haven't had time! And I wouldn't necessarily blame it on the salt. I only drive a few times a week, so the Jag didn't see much snow this winter.

I'll update the thread when I find out more. Until then, I'll keep cursing the Mass Pike!
I AM a Mass native.
Cursing the Mass pike is what we do!

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
592 Posts
... Until then, I'll keep cursing the Mass Pike!
Can't believe that this crowd let that typo go for two whole days! I tried to show some restraint, but...

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine just popped on at 15K. I had just installed snow tires a week earlier and they would have told me if the brakes were low. I called the dealer who said it is possible they are worn and should be replaced. To be sure, I went to a local shop and just had them put it on a lift and let me know if they are low. The told me they were fine with at least 50% left. My guess is another faulty sensor. The odd thing is when it first came on, it was parked in my driveway and had not moved. Strange.. Back to the dealer it goes...

·
F Pace Expert
2,555 Posts
Workshop manual notes brake pad wear sensors are easily damaged. Could be something got knocked loose or damaged as tires were being changed.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Workshop manual notes brake pad wear sensors are easily damaged. Could be something got knocked loose or damaged as tires were being changed.
+1 !
I would have to think that if people are taking their vehicles to Shops that don't handle a lot of LUXURY Vehicles , then I would assume that those mechanics are not used to vehicles that actually have *Brake Pad Sensors* , or even know to be looking out for such a thing !!! Also , the DIY people might not know either !!!

Just a thought !!!:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
+1 !
I would have to think that if people are taking there vehicles to Shops that don't handle a lot of LUXURY Vehicles , then I would assume that those mechanics are not used to vehicles that actually have *Brake Pad Sensors* , or even know to be looking out for such a thing !!! Also , the DIY people might not know either !!!

Makes sense but the car was fine for over a week. Also, the person who I had check it for me said all were attached and looked fine. Anything is possible though. I have had nothing but issues from day one with my car though so I have learned to just shrug them off.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
........Also , the DIY people might not know either !!!

Hey, are you talking about me not knowing what I'm doing again:laugh:

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Hey, are you talking about me not knowing what I'm doing again:laugh:
That depends . . . . . . Are YOU a *DIY* kinda guy ???;)

If so , then just maybe I am talking about YOU !!!>:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts