Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Has anyone else noticed how little brake dust the F Pace produces? My last vehicle (BMW740i) wouldn't go 2 days without noticeable blackened front wheels. On the F Pace 7 days after car wash rims still looking great. (Venom 10spoke 2 tone 20inch). Wonder if anyone else appreciate this as much as I do. BTW 3000 miles and no issues. ❤?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yes, I have noticed that and do appreciate it. Although I also use a ceramic coating on my wheels (Mckee's Wheel Coating), so my wheels would stay cleaner longer than the average wheels regardless.

I have noticed more luxury car brands using low dust pads more frequently over the last few years, and I am glad Jaguar is one of them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Coming from a BMW X3 I have noticed the significant difference in no brake dust that I can see with the F Pace.

Having two Bimmers and commenting to techs about brake dust, apparently BMWs are known for brake dust.

When it comes time to replace the calipers, if you are not going OEM better make sure that the pad material used on the replacements are the same or a low dust guaranteed.

Does anyone know the material used on the OEM pads?

Interesting that there was a lot of negative comments earlier on this forum about the size and construction (fixed vs floating) of the brakes. I have about 5000 kilometers or 3500 miles on the odometer and so far very pleased with the brakes in all aspects, control, stopping, straight line, quiet and no dust. The only other issue which time will tell is longevity and besides how the brakes are constructed depends on your driving style and whether you drive distance on the highway or in the city stop and go.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm pleased with this as well. My Volvo had soft brake pads and the front wheels always looked dirty. I can understand why people would get the black pack. :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do appreciate it! My wife's SQ5 generates brake dust on the front wheels super quickly as did my old S4.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am completely convinced that BMW intentionally designs in low durability parts in many areas as a source of revenue. Nowhere else will you find a brand that produces a water pump that only lasts 60k miles or an oil filter housing that can't keep a seal with its gasket for about the same period of time. Brake pads are iffy though, if you are going for initial bite higher wear pads typically will perform a bit better. However, given my first point, I say they want healthy dealers and chose them for the cash grab. Now those of you who would say that BMW's maintenance covers brake pads my response is: Not any more!

The issue has been that very few manufacturers make cars that drive as well as a BMW, I sure love my e90 335. I can honestly also say right now, on this point: Not any more!
(at least wrt the 3 and 5 series).

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Like most of the posters above, I've seen limited brake dust on the 22 DH wheels on my First Edition. I'm assuming some of that may be due to the grey color of the wheels, but I don't see any difference between front and rear even after a week of not being cleaned. Normally on my Q7 I'd be having to wash the wheels alone to make the car look clean and the front ones would look like it was powder coated solid grey! The F-Pace is much better when it comes to brake dust. I would call it nearly nonexistent, and I haven't been babying the thing either when it comes to braking. I like to go around corners quickly, fast in brake to the apex hard on the gas from the apex out! Obviously, within reason on public roads and never above the speed limit :) .

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
My Corvette is brake dust city after 10 miles. The FP and my Lexus are very clean by comparison. The trade of is 60 to 0 in 107 feet on the Corvette. The F Pace is not even close.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, I have noticed that and do appreciate it. Although I also use a ceramic coating on my wheels (Mckee's Wheel Coating), so my wheels would stay cleaner longer than the average wheels regardless.

I have noticed more luxury car brands using low dust pads more frequently over the last few years, and I am glad Jaguar is one of them.
I just took a look on the product you mentioned, is it McKee's 37 Wheel Coating? How much do they help? Is it necessary to have them? May I ask if I need to clean my wheels first with their foaming wheel cleaner or I can just wipe my wheels with clean wet towels? As a first time car owner I thank you for this info!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ditto similar to others who've posted above... coming from a X3 impressed with difference in brake dust between both vehicles (i.e.) F-Pace is far better than the blackened X3 wheels!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep, my wheels look brand new even a week after washing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My 07. X3 BMW. Has a lot of brake dust( dirt), too.

However I love the handling and ride.
Ready for a new experience though in my. Soon to arrive Fpace.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just took a look on the product you mentioned, is it McKee's 37 Wheel Coating? How much do they help? Is it necessary to have them? May I ask if I need to clean my wheels first with their foaming wheel cleaner or I can just wipe my wheels with clean wet towels? As a first time car owner I thank you for this info!
Yes, that's the product I was referring to. I've been using it (and its predecessor product) for the past few years. I used it from day one on my last car, an Audi A6. After three years and three intense winters with a TON of salt, the wheels were in pristine condition, so I highly recommend the product. It's fairly long lasting and unlike a traditional car wax or sealant, it can withstand the very high heat generated in the brake/wheel area. It's also unbelievably easy to apply.

The wheels should be thoroughly cleaned and completely dry before application for best results, but you certainly don't have to use the McKee's brand wheel cleaner. What you clean the wheels with really depends upon the condition of the wheels. If your wheels are coated with thick brake dust, salt, grime, etc. and have no previous sealant or protection on the wheels, then I would suggest a dedicated, non-acidic wheel cleaner. Personally, since I clean my wheels more often than the average person, I can get my wheels completely clean with regular car wash soap, water, and a microfiber wash mitt. Either way, I would NOT recommend using just a wet towel. For one, that will not get the wheels completely clean. Secondly, dragging a wet towel over the surface of the wheel without any lubrication (e.g., car wash soap) can lead to fine scratches in the wheels, depending upon the finish of the wheels.

Once the wheels are clean and dry, just spray a few shots of the product on a small foam paid (a dollar or two on autogeek.net) and apply to the surface of the wheel, making sure to get in all grooves, cover the lug nuts, etc. Also works great on painted calipers that have been thoroughly cleaned. You can lightly buff with a microfiber towel afterwards if you too much on and have some streaks, but I generally don't. Application time per wheel is likely under one minute.

It will keep your wheels looking cleaner a bit longer, but it also makes them much easier to clean when you need to.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Today's wheels (not chrome) are powder coated. If you regularly wash your car and pay some attention to your wheels you won't need any waxes. If you have painted calipers and they get brake dust on them which is very likely a simple microfiber towel with soap and water will clean them up even after months of no attention. Why because they are powder coated. My Corvette which I baby has painted calipers and even after a long time the clean up is easy. Can't say that about my chrome wheels though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, that's the product I was referring to. I've been using it (and its predecessor product) for the past few years. I used it from day one on my last car, an Audi A6. After three years and three intense winters with a TON of salt, the wheels were in pristine condition, so I highly recommend the product. It's fairly long lasting and unlike a traditional car wax or sealant, it can withstand the very high heat generated in the brake/wheel area. It's also unbelievably easy to apply.

The wheels should be thoroughly cleaned and completely dry before application for best results, but you certainly don't have to use the McKee's brand wheel cleaner. What you clean the wheels with really depends upon the condition of the wheels. If your wheels are coated with thick brake dust, salt, grime, etc. and have no previous sealant or protection on the wheels, then I would suggest a dedicated, non-acidic wheel cleaner. Personally, since I clean my wheels more often than the average person, I can get my wheels completely clean with regular car wash soap, water, and a microfiber wash mitt. Either way, I would NOT recommend using just a wet towel. For one, that will not get the wheels completely clean. Secondly, dragging a wet towel over the surface of the wheel without any lubrication (e.g., car wash soap) can lead to fine scratches in the wheels, depending upon the finish of the wheels.

Once the wheels are clean and dry, just spray a few shots of the product on a small foam paid (a dollar or two on autogeek.net) and apply to the surface of the wheel, making sure to get in all grooves, cover the lug nuts, etc. Also works great on painted calipers that have been thoroughly cleaned. You can lightly buff with a microfiber towel afterwards if you too much on and have some streaks, but I generally don't. Application time per wheel is likely under one minute.

It will keep your wheels looking cleaner a bit longer, but it also makes them much easier to clean when you need to.
Thank you so much for this detailed explanation! I have the stock black 20' venom wheels on my FP, which are fairly new since I only put 200 miles on them. What are the best ways to dry my wheels after giving them a wash? While applying the McKee wheel cleaner, can I put a few drops on the microfiber cloth? Is the 4fl oz bottle enough for entire car? Are they supposed to last a year?

I have a very minor scratch that is about 2 inches, may I ask if you know how to get rid of the scratch? Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Today's wheels (not chrome) are powder coated. If you regularly wash your car and pay some attention to your wheels you won't need any waxes. If you have painted calipers and they get brake dust on them which is very likely a simple microfiber towel with soap and water will clean them up even after months of no attention. Why because they are powder coated. My Corvette which I baby has painted calipers and even after a long time the clean up is easy. Can't say that about my chrome wheels though.
It sounds powder coating is so superior! So it's unnecessary to spend extra attention to care for them? Would a wax alleviate the damage of a scratch? Is our FPace painted by powder coating or liquid coating?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Thank you so much for this detailed explanation! I have the stock black 20' venom wheels on my FP, which are fairly new since I only put 200 miles on them. What are the best ways to dry my wheels after giving them a wash? While applying the McKee wheel cleaner, can I put a few drops on the microfiber cloth? Is the 4fl oz bottle enough for entire car? Are they supposed to last a year?

I have a very minor scratch that is about 2 inches, may I ask if you know how to get rid of the scratch? Thank you!
Best way to dry your wheels is with a microfiber cloth. And I have never applied the McKee's wheel coating with a microfiber, but I'm guessing it would absorb some of the wheel coating, so you would be wasting product. I would recommend a foam applicator pad for that reason.

The 4oz bottle will cover the 4 wheels several times over. You just need a few sprays per wheel. I doubt it would last a year, especially in a climate that has snow, salt, etc. I apply every two or three months, and that's worked well for me - three months of salt, dirt, and brake dust comes off unbelievably easy.

The scratch is in the paint, correct? Perhaps it can just be polished out if it's only in the clear coat. It can be fixed one way or another but the best way of doing it depends on how deep it is. If you're not experienced in this area, it may be best to take it to a professional detailer to handle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Best way to dry your wheels is with a microfiber cloth. And I have never applied the McKee's wheel coating with a microfiber, but I'm guessing it would absorb some of the wheel coating, so you would be wasting product. I would recommend a foam applicator pad for that reason.

The 4oz bottle will cover the 4 wheels several times over. You just need a few sprays per wheel. I doubt it would last a year, especially in a climate that has snow, salt, etc. I apply every two or three months, and that's worked well for me - three months of salt, dirt, and brake dust comes off unbelievably easy.

The scratch is in the paint, correct? Perhaps it can just be polished out if it's only in the clear coat. It can be fixed one way or another but the best way of doing it depends on how deep it is. If you're not experienced in this area, it may be best to take it to a professional detailer to handle.
Thank you captain!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts