Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jaguar can't fix the 3G in my F-Pace. I'm at the end of my 3 month trial period, and I'm not paying for a new SIM just so Jag can keep futzing with it. So I just placed my order for a phone mount. You know, like the kind I had when I was driving a third hand Altima during grad school?

So help me with this thought experiment. Suppose it's Fall of 2017, and Jaguar is no closer to integrating Android Auto. I swap out the ICTP touch screen for an aftermarket head unit that supports Android Auto. Please help me with this question: what am I going to lose?

I have just started thinking about this, and here's what I have so far:
  • Heated and cooled seats, since ICTP interaction is required for these functions
  • The ability to customize dynamic mode
  • Live apps, which are currently mostly useless, but who knows what the future holds

What else? No need to list anything that would be handled as well or better by a nice head end unit with Android Auto support (like phone integration, navigation, audio).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe the ICTP controls the instrument cluster, so I believe you'll also lose all your instruments. So you know, if you want to see what your fuel level is at, or how fast your going. That sort of thing...

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
There is an old 34 page TopIX bulletin about the audio system and its inter-connectivity within the vehicle. It is a nightmare. What is it about the 3G in the car that you can't live without? There are forum threads that discuss other 3G options. I don't think you will find a third party device on the market that will replace the ICTP.

If your dealer can't figure out what needs to be done then just call the JLR customer service number and file a complaint they can help you to sort out the issues with your car and the dealer. At least ask the dealer if they have filed a report with JLR.

·
F Pace Expert
2,554 Posts
You wouldn't pay for a new sim, you'd just keep using the same sim. I paid for ATT account in anticipation they'd eventually get it fixed and was glad I did.

Has you telematics units been replaced completely? Have you discussed the bulletin with your dealer?

At some point the service department can hook car up so Jaguar engineers can work on it directly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. This all helps me clarify my question. I guess I'm not so much getting rid of ICTP, as swapping in a touchscreen that is not connected to ICTP. ICTP would be free to run whatever else it still runs. I'll edit the original post for clarity. [Edit: Argh, I guess it's too late to edit the original post.]

What is it about the 3G in the car that you can't live without?
Nothing I can't live without, necessarily. It's more about the benefits of bypassing ICTP. Even if the 3G were working, I would still be using my phone a lot. Spotify for music, Pocket Casts for podcasts, Google Maps for those occasions when every minute counts, etc. So why not a single interface that uses the LTE bandwidth I'm already paying for?

I know it is not a widely-held opinion on this forum, and I'm not trying to start a debate about the merits of ICTP, honest. But I don't love Jaguar's IVI. The first time I considered simply bypassing it altogether, it felt very right. Just tying to think through the consequences.

You wouldn't pay for a new sim, you'd just keep using the same sim. I paid for ATT account...
That's what I meant; sorry. Either way, given my feelings about ICTP, it does not seem worth it to me to pay for service just so Jaguar can keep working on it.

·
F Pace Expert
2,554 Posts
Thanks. This all helps me clarify my question. I guess I'm not so much getting rid of ICTP, as swapping in a touchscreen that is not connected to ICTP. ICTP would be free to run whatever else it still runs. I'll edit the original post for clarity. [Edit: Argh, I guess it's too late to edit the original post.]

Nothing I can't live without, necessarily. It's more about the benefits of bypassing ICTP. Even if the 3G were working, I would still be using my phone a lot. Spotify for music, Pocket Casts for podcasts, Google Maps for those occasions when every minute counts, etc. So why not a single interface that uses the LTE bandwidth I'm already paying for?

I know it is not a widely-held opinion on this forum, and I'm not trying to start a debate about the merits of ICTP, honest. But I don't love Jaguar's IVI. The first time I considered simply bypassing it altogether, it felt very right. Just tying to think through the consequences.

That's what I meant; sorry. Either way, given my feelings about ICTP, it does not seem worth it to me to pay for service just so Jaguar can keep working on it.
Again, out of curiosity, has your dealer replaced the telematics unit? It really changes the experience not gnashing your teeth at flaky 3G, or did for me. Spotify is now available in apps too for what it's worth. Customizing the screen helps as well.

For what you are trying to accomplish maybe a used Ipad mini stripped down and mounted on a bracket might do the trick? Perhaps running through 3G connection hotspot?

Would seem to me that mechanics of taking out ICTP screen and trying to replace as daunting at a minimum, and expensive. The aftermarket carplay or android auto head units need space that doesn't exist in the f-pace dash.

Good example of people wanting their apps where they want them, car, home, etc.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Jaguar can't fix the 3G in my F-Pace. I'm at the end of my 3 month trial period, and I'm not paying for a new SIM just so Jag can keep futzing with it. So I just placed my order for a phone mount. You know, like the kind I had when I was driving a third hand Altima during grad school?

So help me with this thought experiment. Suppose it's Fall of 2017, and Jaguar is no closer to integrating Android Auto. I swap out the ICTP touch screen for an aftermarket head unit that supports Android Auto. Please help me with this question: what am I going to lose?

I have just started thinking about this, and here's what I have so far:
  • Heated and cooled seats, since ICTP interaction is required for these functions
  • The ability to customize dynamic mode
  • Live apps, which are currently mostly useless, but who knows what the future holds

What else? No need to list anything that would be handled as well or better by a nice head end unit with Android Auto support (like phone integration, navigation, audio).
Mine just got back from service, they tried updating the ICTP screen twice, with the second time killing the unit completely. Luckily for me they had a new module at a local warehouse so I didn't have to wait for two weeks like others on the forum. Anyway, the difference in the systems is like night and day! I did not have any major issues with the previous unit but the difference in speed, especially on startup is extremely noticeable.

Any who, I would recommend what VZX mentioned, inquire about getting a new telematics unit. Jaguar replaced a door module, the radio module and the ICTP unit completely and the car feels like its new, so its not like they are against replacing things if it is warranted.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, out of curiosity, has your dealer replaced the telematics unit?
I'm told I would need to pay for it, since I'm not covered by the new service bulletin. I'm sure the dealer would eventually agree to replace it, since it is clearly broken. But it doesn't seem worth the hassle given my subjective feelings about the apps that would be supported by 3G.

Would seem to me that mechanics of taking out ICTP screen and trying to replace as daunting at a minimum, and expensive. The aftermarket carplay or android auto head units need space that doesn't exist in the f-pace dash.
You may be right about that. I'm going to wait a few months before getting serious about it (if I ever get serious about it) so that some of the main aftermarket manufacturers and installers have plenty of time to play around with the F-Pace.

btw, you're still a hero for pushing Jaguar to do something about the broken telematics unit. That action was a model for how to leverage a web community to get a meaningful response from a manufacturer. No discount to your credit simply because it didn't happen to help me. :)

·
F Pace Expert
2,554 Posts
call Jaguar and push for a new telematics and working 3G. You should do it for resale if nothing else. I'd bet a $1 there won't be an aftermarket replacement for ICTP, it's too deeply embedded in vehicle systems

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
I'm told I would need to pay for it, since I'm not covered by the new service bulletin. I'm sure the dealer would eventually agree to replace it, since it is clearly broken. .........................
OK now you've got my curiosity working, why would you think that you would need to pay for anything that is defective?

·
F Pace Expert
2,554 Posts
See EagleJag's post re his pushing for telematics replacement even though he was outside of VIN range. It's in the telematics replacement thread. Your dealer is wrong.

Reactions: EagleJag

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK now you've got my curiosity working, why would you think that you would need to pay for anything that is defective?
To be clear, I don't plan to pay. Just saying that the dealer thinks that he's not paying, and I'm not sure there's a benefit corresponding to the hassle of convincing him otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
To your point though if there is something that genuinely does not work and the dealer thinks it is OK then by all means call the JLR Concierge at 1-855-524-8278 and file a complaint (get the case #). It is simple and the easiest way to get resolution. Just make sure JLR follows up with you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts