Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Are there any settings to get the audio warning from the BSM? The warning icon only illuminates... and sometimes it is easily ignored while changing lanes..

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi

Are there any settings to get the audio warning from the BSM? The warning icon only illuminates... and sometimes it is easily ignored while changing lanes..[/QUOTE

I've never been able to figure out if a audible warning is available, haven't been able to find that option.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hi

Are there any settings to get the audio warning from the BSM? The warning icon only illuminates... and sometimes it is easily ignored while changing lanes..
I don't believe so, which is insane.
I understand your point, although "insane" is perhaps somewhat extreme like so many negative posts here.

We might also consider a different point of view:-

Until self-drive cars and the supporting infrastructure are in place, some driving aids may actually contribute to inattentive driving ..... like relying on lane change warnings rather than watching the road, driving sleepy knowing the car will fibrate you awake, texting because the car will brake by itself .... etc.

In the case of BSM, today, I would not buy a car without BSM. It is one of the ultimate safety features. When I look in the mirror(s) I can clearly see when it is safe to change lanes and I would never change lanes without looking in the mirror. See no light, safe; see a light not safe. No beep needed. The initial OP clearly illustrates the point: "sometimes it is easily ignored while changing lanes" , relying on a beep, not looking at the mirror, not safe.

Nothing to do with how for some folks, Jaguar has so many flaws.

FWIW. Much willie wagging to follow I'm sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting idea but each car that passes causes the warning light to come on, thus you would get beeped every time someone passed you on right or left. It would have to be tied to the blinker operation, a warning sound instead of the usually blinker click click might be one way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my Jeep Grand Cherokee it would just go audible if you put your turn signal on to get over and there was a car there. Would be nice if the F-Pace did this as well.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
In my Jeep Grand Cherokee it would just go audible if you put your turn signal on to get over and there was a car there. Would be nice if the F-Pace did this as well.

Same here.. You mean the F-Pace Doesn't do that at least? That has saved me many times in blind spot areas on interstates, when merging. I'm not a Debbie downer, but it seems to be getting harder to stay on the F-Pace bandwagon when every day someone discovers something else it doesn't do, that much lesser vehicles do or did 3 years ago. Who are they trying to measure up with in the marketplace then?

·
Registered
23 Posts
BSM is towards the bottom of safety features in usefulness. If the driver properly adjusts the mirrors blind spots are eliminated in most any vehicle. So with BSM, we are paying the manufacturer for a feature that is monitoring something that shouldn't exist. Though if you are an inattentive driver and/or don't know how to adjust your mirrors, it will indeed be helpful.

The problem with both the visual and audible cues on these systems is that when they would be most useful - in traffic - they are triggered incessantly. As a result, many drivers disable the feature or just don't pay attention to it. A driver is more likely to disable the feature if it includes both visual and audible cues which might be why some BSM-equipped don't provide audible alerts. It might make sense to provide a tone when you signal a lane change, but at this point you should already be looking towards a mirror. Optimally, the manufacturer would provide a BSM system that is configurable to the drivers desires. But then costs would go up. JLR does not have economies of scale to compete on price with Lexus or Audi, etc. They made a decision at some point to focus more on the structure and drivetrain of the F-Pace, at the expense of some interior and tech features, to establish more competitive pricing and sell more units. JLR's goal is to sell 1M vehicles a year. They wouldn't get there selling $75K+ vehicles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe there is audio warning. Couple of weeks ago I was cruising on a two lane high way at ~50mph, with cars all around me. I drifted and didnt want to over-correct by yanking the wheel back into my lane, and was slowly pulling the car back into my lane. While this was happening i heard a quick paam-paam-paam-paam from the right side where I was drifting into and got sorta pissed that they guy is being a jerk and was too quick on the horn. I turn to my right and the car to my right had slowed down significantly - not being aggressive at all. Then I played back the scene in my mind and realized that the honking was too quick for anybody to have manually honked! I'm pretty positive its my blind spot monitoring sounding the horn from my stereo speakers. I'm tempted to replicate this scenario, but dont want to cause an accident or put other drivers in danger. I will probably try it with a friend in a car to my side some day!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe what you heard through the speakers is the "beep" from the rear bumper parking sensors.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
In the case of BSM, today, I would not buy a car without BSM. It is one of the ultimate safety features. When I look in the mirror(s) I can clearly see when it is safe to change lanes and I would never change lanes without looking in the mirror. See no light, safe; see a light not safe. No beep needed. The initial OP clearly illustrates the point: "sometimes it is easily ignored while changing lanes" , relying on a beep, not looking at the mirror, not safe.

While that is true, I don't expect it to beep upon the passing of every car, but what could it hurt to have it beep if you hit the turn signal. The argument of added cost to the vehicle is a poor one. This would cost them a little one time programming only. Make it chose able in the settings if you DON'T like it.... But it absolutely make sense as a 2nd backstop if you happen to make an error in judgement. Not every one is a such a perfect driver and attentive on all fronts, as you portray in your statements. All we ask of Jag is give us all the low to no cost features (Especially safety ones !) that other vehicles have, and the perfect drivers out there can just turn them off.... Simple....

When I upgrade vehicles and pay more than I ever have for one, then get most every option they have, then find out that the vehicle doesn't do things that lesser non upscale ones do... that is disappointing to say the least. When it comes to safety features and my Grandkids are in the car, less is not more.... Offer them all and let the driver choose if he wants to turn them off.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You guys are all correct. Not wise, and bad habit to rely only on the light or even the audio warning while changing lanes. Agreed as well that either warning light or audio warning while signal turn light is enough. However I do think that would be even better to provide the choice or settings for clients. JLR does good enough, but could be better. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Correct. My friends four year old jeep does this. Only audible warning is when you're about to turn into somebody. Crazy Jag doesn't do that, all these insane arguments about setting mirrors properly, etc aside.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe what you heard through the speakers is the "beep" from the rear bumper parking sensors.
Nope. That is why I specifically said Paam paam paam..not beep beep :) I know the tone for bumper parking sensor sound.

·
Registered
141 Posts
BSM is towards the bottom of safety features in usefulness. If the driver properly adjusts the mirrors blind spots are eliminated in most any vehicle. So with BSM, we are paying the manufacturer for a feature that is monitoring something that shouldn't exist. Though if you are an inattentive driver and/or don't know how to adjust your mirrors, it will indeed be helpful.

The problem with both the visual and audible cues on these systems is that when they would be most useful - in traffic - they are triggered incessantly. As a result, many drivers disable the feature or just don't pay attention to it. A driver is more likely to disable the feature if it includes both visual and audible cues which might be why some BSM-equipped don't provide audible alerts. It might make sense to provide a tone when you signal a lane change, but at this point you should already be looking towards a mirror. Optimally, the manufacturer would provide a BSM system that is configurable to the drivers desires. But then costs would go up. JLR does not have economies of scale to compete on price with Lexus or Audi, etc. They made a decision at some point to focus more on the structure and drivetrain of the F-Pace, at the expense of some interior and tech features, to establish more competitive pricing and sell more units. JLR's goal is to sell 1M vehicles a year. They wouldn't get there selling $75K+ vehicles.
Never, have I been able to adjust side view mirrors to eliminate blind spots. Adding convex discs to the lower outside of each mirror mitigated the issue. I do agree that the BSM with a warning tone would be annoying.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Nope. That is why I specifically said Paam paam paam..not beep beep :) I know the tone for bumper parking sensor sound.
Could it have been the driver fatigue or lane departure warning? My cat doesn't have either of these options.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts