·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be blasphemy to some people because:

1. they prefer the blacked-out look and I added the silver
2. I'm being a poseur by making my R Sport look like an S

But I did it anyway! :D;):laugh:

The black just seemed to disappear to me, and I like the look of the S.

First time using plasti dip and it went pretty well. I just hope it holds up, at least for a little while. We shall see.

Kerry

Attachments

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
This will be blasphemy to some people because:
I actually think it's pretty cool , that the Black Strip makes the vehicle look *RED* ,
and the Silver Strip makes the vehicle look *PINKY SALMON* !!!;):D0:)

On another note , if you really wanted to make it look like an *S*. . . . . . .
you should have gotten rid of the *R-Sport Side Vent* !!!>:):laugh::laugh::laugh:

On a positive note ,
I do find it preferable , to have the Silver Strip with the Silver Side Vent !!!:)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Personally, I would have done the black plastidip (or paint, or wrap) on the sliver vents (would hide the badging) and all of the other silver bits around, including the front nostrils. ****, even do the wheels, make it look like an S with the BlackPack.

I also don't give a rats arse about those who try and make their models look like the higher-trim level ones. Your vehicle, paint it pink with a unicorn hood ornament for all I care.

Some differences in trim are simply that, trim only. Others, like the main way the S differentiates itself from the rest of the pack, come down to performance. The truth comes out when side by side at a red light. >:)

Back to your changing the color of the trim, as I mentioned, my pref would be to give it the black pack look. Like this one:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I'm a fan of consistency, if you are going to do black trim, then it needs to be all black. Likewise, if you have some silver trim, I would not mix, make it all silver/chrome. I like the new look. Wheels, vent and trim all look the same. Nice!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm thoroughly bummed! :(

One side looks perfect, one side looks like complete crap! Bubbles galore! I have no idea what I did wrong, but I will definitely have to remove it.

I might look to see what a vinyl wrap would cost. Plasti dip is cheap, but if I can't make it work, what's the point.

Kerry

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
apparently I'm the only one that actually preferred my R-Sport over my S :|

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Well, I'm thoroughly bummed! :(

One side looks perfect, one side looks like complete crap! Bubbles galore! I have no idea what I did wrong, but I will definitely have to remove it.

I might look to see what a vinyl wrap would cost. Plasti dip is cheap, but if I can't make it work, what's the point.

Kerry
you know, really clean the surface, alcohol wipes even... then several thin coats, waiting to dry between. But I am sure you know all of that already. Funny, I had mine wrapped in black, I wonder if you have considered trading your black trim pieces for silver ones? There just might be people here that are willing to do just that.

·
Registered
582 Posts
2 points....I do alot of detailing, so not just a guess, but your issue is the residue that was on the surface, maybe some tire overspray or a cleaner you used on the car, but as @Weeb mentioned, clean it with a surface prep (eg.alcohol). It takes practice to get good at anything, just peel it off and try again, looks great in black. I also am a proponent of make it the way you want, I have changed everything about this vehicle trim, outside buying a new front bumper.
Just an FYI- they sell the side trim prices in China and you can buy for $40-50 CAN but you'll have to paint or wrap anyway.
I just finshed copying higher trims like yours or the S by making an illuminated tread plate with my old tread plate using stainless steel and an EL panel (do not order from China they are so cheap and awful)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
illuminated tread plate with my old tread plate using stainless steel and an EL panel (do not order from China they are so cheap and awful)
The use of an electroluminescent panel under the plate is really trick, nicer than stock even. Did you cut the lettering yourself, or have a shop do it? If yourself, what tools did you use? Table top laser cutters for the hobbyist have come down in price, have been looking at them for some time as I consider new pursuits when I retire.

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F Pace 35t R Sport
519 Posts
2 points....I do alot of detailing, so not just a guess, but your issue is the residue that was on the surface, maybe some tire overspray or a cleaner you used on the car, but as @Weeb mentioned, clean it with a surface prep (eg.alcohol). It takes practice to get good at anything, just peel it off and try again, looks great in black. I also am a proponent of make it the way you want, I have changed everything about this vehicle trim, outside buying a new front bumper.
Just an FYI- they sell the side trim prices in China and you can buy for $40-50 CAN but you'll have to paint or wrap anyway.
I just finshed copying higher trims like yours or the S by making an illuminated tread plate with my old tread plate using stainless steel and an EL panel (do not order from China they are so cheap and awful)
Sorry to sidetrack the thread just a bit.
I bought black door handle trim from a Chinese supplier, to complement my black pack. The pieces looked great for a few months, then faded and cracked. The supplier was responsive enough to replace them at no cost.
But before I install the new ones, how best should I prep them so it doesn't happen again? A clear coat? Gloss black Rustoleum or other spray paint? Do I need to go all the way to a dip or wrap on these small pieces, mindful of the adhesive tape on the inside?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I haven't seen the door handle you referred to, but depending on the surface will determine your prep. I know of the plastic trim on the OP vehicle, so I could comment, but not sure of yours, if you post a pic I could.
If yours was textured plastic then it's a process to paint and you should wrap to make it easier. When I painted the bottom cladding around the entire vehicle I had to use alot of product to get the paint to adhere (eg adhesion primer promoter), simply because its textured plastic.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread just a bit.
I bought black door handle trim from a Chinese supplier, to complement my black pack. The pieces looked great for a few months, then faded and cracked. The supplier was responsive enough to replace them at no cost.
But before I install the new ones, how best should I prep them so it doesn't happen again? A clear coat? Gloss black Rustoleum or other spray paint? Do I need to go all the way to a dip or wrap on these small pieces, mindful of the adhesive tape on the inside?

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks. I got a shop to cut the letters in a piece of stainless with a CNC. Then I used plexiglass in the open areas where the el light comes through, cut the panel and hid the tiny inverter behind the plate. Had to shave the old plastic housing down so I could fit the new plate and 'guts'. It worked really well but took quite some time. I was able to make the letters quite big and so more prominent. I finished with a glaze on top so it will never scratch and you can't see it, even through the stainless. The wiring fir thr treadplate, like the footlights and others was already there just waiting...was great!

illuminated tread plate with my old tread plate using stainless steel and an EL panel (do not order from China they are so cheap and awful)
The use of an electroluminescent panel under the plate is really trick, nicer than stock even. Did you cut the lettering yourself, or have a shop do it? If yourself, what tools did you use? Table top laser cutters for the hobbyist have come down in price, have been looking at them for some time as I consider new pursuits when I retire.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
I haven't seen the door handle you referred to, but depending on the surface will determine your prep. I know of the plastic trim on the OP vehicle, so I could comment, but not sure of yours, if you post a pic I could.
If yours was textured plastic then it's a process to paint and you should wrap to make it easier. When I painted the bottom cladding around the entire vehicle I had to use alot of product to get the paint to adhere (eg adhesion primer promoter), simply because its textured plastic.
Thanks so much for your experienced opinions and advice!

The handles are smooth, high-gloss black plastic. Here's a new one (not yet installed):

Here's how they look after a few months:

For me, they complement the effect of the black package, echoing the side vents, mirrors, trim, blacked out tail lights & front roof panel, etc.

·
Registered
582 Posts
It looks like your clear coat (top coat) didn't bond to your base (black colour).
Sand them down so it's all smooth. Start with something aggresive like 100grit and move your way to 600 grit. When you're happy its smooth, then paint with a primer for plastic, pay attention to temperature, as it looks like that's your culprit. Next use black paint you get from your 'Canadian Tire' (automotive paint). Following the directions on the can, do a few thin coats of a clear coat and let dry for 24hrs.
You're done, but it's not perfect yet. If you want it perfect then you'll have to do a little wet sanding through the "orange peel" effect and polish it out. The good news is that it's very little paint work and lots of youtube videos online to help.
It's def a DIY project, most especially if you don't have to contend with cold weather and salt etc.
Hope this helps.
T.

Thanks so much for your experienced opinions and advice!

The handles are smooth, high-gloss black plastic. Here's a new one (not yet installed):

Here's how they look after a few months:

For me, they complement the effect of the black package, echoing the side vents, mirrors, trim, blacked out tail lights & front roof panel, etc.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks, TK! Happy to hear that good ol' painting will be better than wrapping or dipping.

And apologies to @kerrydel for hijacking the thread!

·
Registered
190 Posts
So is the plexglass affixed to the back (and hence the metal is a different level than the plexi) or did you somehow put it into the space where the letters are?

I really want to do the lighted treadplates; just not the ones you can buy from Jaguar (I think I may do something then put in letters .. or maybe a different word.. or different font.. I dunno).

Thanks. I got a shop to cut the letters in a piece of stainless with a CNC. Then I used plexiglass in the open areas where the el light comes through, cut the panel and hid the tiny inverter behind the plate. Had to shave the old plastic housing down so I could fit the new plate and 'guts'. It worked really well but took quite some time. I was able to make the letters quite big and so more prominent. I finished with a glaze on top so it will never scratch and you can't see it, even through the stainless. The wiring fir thr treadplate, like the footlights and others was already there just waiting...was great!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Its "JAGUAR" negative cut with the letters missing in stainless,. Then an EL panel and inverter behind. Then on top is the missing positive letters in plexiglass. Everything is totally flush, so no water can penetrate it in the winter. The finshed product letters looks very prominent, which worked well.

So is the plexglass affixed to the back (and hence the metal is a different level than the plexi) or did you somehow put it into the space where the letters are?

I really want to do the lighted treadplates; just not the ones you can buy from Jaguar (I think I may do something then put in letters .. or maybe a different word.. or different font.. I dunno).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I redid the side that didn't come out the first time, and this time around it looks good.

I know you were all concerned! :D;):laugh:

Kerry

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not that anybody cares, but the PlastiDip has held up perfectly for 3 years!

Definitely surprised.

Kerry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts