Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ingot, S, standard wheels w/o black package. Now I'm looking to get rid of the 'plastic chrome' that does not match the Ingot color. Problem is that the body shops here don't want to paint the plastic. They say it won't last for any length of time, and they are probably correct.

So whats a fool like me to do, buy the grill with the black ring at $460, side mouldings at $296, vents at $288, then pay my body shop $450 to install them. As a bonus I get $100 from Jaguar as a gift, that may pay for the sales tax. But wait, I ain't done. I still have the S rear bumper (plastic) the front bar and the rings (plastic) that I can't paint. I'm broke and the car is not finished.

Can you help me with this, aftermarket parts?

Hear this guy named Earl Schelb will paint ANY car for $89.95, maybe I should give him a call.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Hey KINGFISH ! In the words of the *Fabulous Thunderbirds* *WRAP IT UP* !!! :)

Reactions: Turbodog

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can plastidip all over it and it's pretty easy. The side vents can be removed as well to be painted while not on the car.

Remove the useless fpace and engine badges which only leaves you the jag emblem to dip/paint.

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Like @GRVR said a wrap is the ONLY way to go. The colors and finishes are limitless and will last for a very long time if done properly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh, and the side mouldings are literally just pieces of plastic stuck on with double sided tape. A $10 can of plastidip will do your entire car. Or you can spend $500+ taking it to a wrap shop and having everything wrapped.

If you don't like the results with the plastidip just peel it off.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I am still considering doing this to the rear valance, using bright red plastidip.

Hey theweeb ,
I would definitely suggest the *plastidip* for that , because apparently , you can "just peel it off" !!! >:)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: Brian

·
Registered
522 Posts
Agree with plastidip suggestion. Did that to many gray/chrome pieces on Evoque and has lasted for close to 2 years. You can make it matte, semi-gloss or gloss. Great stuff.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am still considering doing this to the rear valance, using bright red plastidip.
I originally painted the vents red to match my caliper covers. I thought I was on to something epic and I've always been a black/red guy. I put them on and it looked so pitifully stupid. lol I'm not sure what it was either. I think it was just way to bright and stuck out like a sore thumb. A deeper darker red might have worked better but it wouldn't have matched the caliper covers so I said to **** with it and went with gunmetal.

I'd be curious to see what it looked like though if you do it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey theweeb ,
I would definitely suggest the *plastidip* for that , because apparently , you can "just peel it off" !!! >:)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Hey now. I was talking about peeling it off paint. Haha. I'm not sure if it bonds better to PLASTIc.

*I am not responsible for the harm you do to your FPace by following my advice*

·
Registered
204 Posts

If you do it, please share your experience and outcome. I'm hoping to change mine from silver to black (on Quartzite F-Pace).

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Reactions: NVA_FPACE

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you do it, please share your experience and outcome. I'm hoping to change mine from silver to black (on Quartzite F-Pace).
I had no idea they even made those in silver. Yuck. If it's silver then it must be painted which means you could dip it and easily remove it if you didn't like it. You could also just have it painted professionally. It'd be easy since it's a small section and black doesn't need to be paint matched. Probably comes off pretty easily too.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Plastidip may sound cheap (and it is!!) but the results are pretty good if you do it properly. And it is very easy to undo. I like wrapping, too, but it's more money and leaves a residue behind that requires additional cleaning if you decide to remove it.

I have panels dipped on my 2012 Volvo XC70, and as Brian noted, it lasted for well over 2 years. I had to redo "high wear" areas on the front of the car after 2 years, but if you put it on properly (watch videos...and go multiple coats), it literally does "peel off" if you want to undo it.

WARNING: NON F-PACE CONTENT BELOW
Grill, fog-light surround, lower cladding on side of body all dipped in black....trim around windows dipped in "smoke" to get rid of the chrome look on the plastic

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had no idea they even made those in silver. Yuck. If it's silver then it must be painted which means you could dip it and easily remove it if you didn't like it. You could also just have it painted professionally. It'd be easy since it's a small section and black doesn't need to be paint matched. Probably comes off pretty easily too.
Yeah, I mentioned it to my sales guy today while at the dealership and he said there are only two screws holding that piece making it easy to remove.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Hey NVA_FPACE ! Just curious , have you ever considered having the rear valance painted *QUARTZITE* ???
I feel it would give that area a little splash of color , but actually still blend with the rest of the vehicle !!! I think it would look CUSTOM , yet OEM at the same time !!!
Just a thought ! :)

P.S. After seeing JocDoc's *QUARTZITE* up close at the MEET & GREET this past weekend , I am a firm believer that you could never have too much of that BEAUTIFUL LUXURIOUS CLASSY Color !!! ;)

Reactions: NVA_FPACE

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Funny how it is called "dipped" when it is a spray coating.

We have a major spring snow storm moving in this weekend, but will put this down for next. Red. Going for it. With the QuickSilver black carbon fiber exhaust tips, I think it will be ... interesting.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dipping can get all goofy nowadays with the different additives and finisher (glossifier, metalic-stuffies, florescent colors, even cammo dip...not idea how that works). Some people "dip" (ie: spray) their whole cars, but that goes WAY beyond the idea of peeling it off if you don't like it. I wouldn't want to peel my whole car.

The "smoke" stuff is pretty cool for emblems if you don't want the chrome look and don't want to go black with them either. It gives them a satin finish, sort of like the stock grill surrounds. But it's thinner and can be a pain to remove if you don't like it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts