Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a ton of research on rear/trunk mounted bike racks and just got the Saris Bones 2. Also have3m 'clear bra'-type protection film to cut to just the right sizes/locations to prevent scratching from rack arms and strap hooks... but completely overlooked and am now concerned with the pressure that will be placed on the trunk hatch fin (see pics).

I'm thinking its best to return this rack and either get a roof rack to attach to the cross bars up top (watch out for underpasses!) or get a tow hitch installed and mount one back there (watch out for opening the hatch!). I saw the thread from January where it seems consensus is the tow hitch mount.... sadly I did not opt for the tow hitch during the build so would like to avoid the expense now. I do not foresee the need to tow anything else.

I guess my questions are twofold:
1) Has anyone had success or failure with a trunk mounted rack on an F-Pace or have thoughts on the pressure from the strap?
2) Is it worth going for the tow hitch install or better to just get a roof rack? I've heard a roof rack is the only way to hurt yourself, your bike and your car all at one time if things go south...

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would definitely never use a rear mount rack on this car - inevitably it will get scratched and they aren't the most stable racks anyway. I'm a big fan of hitch racks - easy to get the bikes on and off and can be removed when not in use. Roof racks for bikes work as well but it's more of a pain to get the bikes up and down and you again risk scratching the car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
2) Is it worth going for the tow hitch install or better to just get a roof rack?...
I've used both on this vehicle and on past ones.
A good roof rack works fine. This is a tall vehicle, so the top is harder to reach than on a sedan or wagon; you might even want to carry a small folding stool. Your bike will be more likely to get trashed by a garage opening (I've had only one *very* close call with my previous wagon; I'd have a new bike if I'd been driving the Jag. You've seen pictures of real disasters). You'll be into the Jag crossbars for ~$300 (or a similar, but not identical, Thule set ordered from England), plus Thule or Yakima or Whispbar bike racks using the "T mount" for ~$300 each. Two modern mountain bikes fit easily; three is a stretch to squeeze in.
A hitch rack for two bikes is $400-$550 plus hitch at $500 to $2500. The gas mileage will be a bit better and access is easier. Aftermarket hitches are not as nice as the Jag hitch, but aren't 2500 bucks either. Haven't opened the back hatch onto it. Yet.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The Saris Bones racks are great; but I wouldn't use one like that if I were you. I would not use the glass for support.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Even I have Saris bone 3, I never think that I tried to install it on my F pace(with roof rail & hitch factory pre-installed ). I have no problem(with my height 174cm) to put my road bike on Thule fork mounted roof rack even I had some concerns before. In the near future, I would like to install hitch mounted rack as well to fit my needs.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Hey @bb mac ! If you had just posted a written message of what you had done , that would have been bad enough ! But since you had the nerve to actually post PHOTOS of this *OUTRAGEOUS BLASPHEMY* , I just wanted to let you know that I am going to have to go ahead and officially *UNFRIEND* you now !!!:crying:

Unfortunately ,
I am going to have to chalk this one up as , *One of those things in Life that you just can't UNSEE* !!!:eek:

Reactions: edjag

·
Registered
335 Posts
If the bike you are carrying is light enough and you ensure most of the weight of it is placed on the bottom supports of the bike rack (which sit on the edge of your bumper), it might be just fine.

If properly balanced, the top support of the bike rack should have barely any weight on the glass .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've used both on this vehicle and on past ones.
A good roof rack works fine. This is a tall vehicle, so the top is harder to reach than on a sedan or wagon; you might even want to carry a small folding stool. Your bike will be more likely to get trashed by a garage opening (I've had only one *very* close call with my previous wagon; I'd have a new bike if I'd been driving the Jag. You've seen pictures of real disasters). You'll be into the Jag crossbars for ~$300 (or a similar, but not identical, Thule set ordered from England), plus Thule or Yakima or Whispbar bike racks using the "T mount" for ~$300 each. Two modern mountain bikes fit easily; three is a stretch to squeeze in.
A hitch rack for two bikes is $400-$550 plus hitch at $500 to $2500. The gas mileage will be a bit better and access is easier. Aftermarket hitches are not as nice as the Jag hitch, but aren't 2500 bucks either. Haven't opened the back hatch onto it. Yet.
Thanks TLockhart... I already have the Jag cross bars so I think Ill opt for the roof rack, step stool, and extra dollop of caution.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Are those straps holding on the spoiler? Not sure if the spoiler is sturdy enough for that.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Don't know much about bike racks, but it seems like too many points of contact with potential for scratching. Possibility of loose straps in the wind contacting the body. And especially using the rear window as a support point. Glad I got the factory hitch.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey @bb mac ! If you had just posted a written message of what you had done , that would have been bad enough ! But since you had the nerve to actually post PHOTOS of this *OUTRAGEOUS BLASPHEMY* , I just wanted to let you know that I am going to have to go ahead and officially *UNFRIEND* you now !!!:crying:

Unfortunately ,
I am going to have to chalk this one up as , *One of those things in Life that you just can't UNSEE* !!!:eek:
GRVR I am sad to learn you are not a believer in the scientific method! (You aren't one of those flat earth folks too are you?!?) I have copied a diagram below to help explain the process...

As you will see, I am simply experimenting to gather data - then sharing that data with a peer community to crowdsource interpretation & troubleshoot solutions. All data, if accurate and fully disclosed, is valuable to decision making - regardless of whether it impacts your world view. It appears that despite your impeccable taste in vehicle design, you seem to think the F-Pace is a delicate flower to be kept and pampered...

You may not like it, but the F-Pace is a working car - and much like a working dog it is happiest when it is satisfying its existential objective function. Indeed, the F-Pace is the Belgian Malinois of working cars (S(port)UVs) - faster, smarter, & more attractive than its peers (see photo... game, set, match).

The F-Pace & the Malinois should be cared for impeccably - but also strapped and geared up and sent to do bad-ass jobs around the world. Which is why the Mali is the Navy SEALs' dog of choice. Everyone knows the story of how they used one when taking out OBL - and you can bet that beast was wearing a body armor vest and packing some serious doggie gear. That gear was no doubt exhaustively tested and re-designed to fit perfectly while minimizing impediment and maximizing utility. I wonder how many online friends the designers lost based on photos of their early prototypes...

If you insist on this course of action I am sorry and will, regretfully, accept your letter of friendship resignation. If however you can appreciate this was merely one step in a larger process, then you will be relieved to know I have gathered enough data with the hatch mounted bike rack, printed the Amazon return label, and decided to proceed with a roof mounted system. :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just the potential damage to the paint from the straps rubbing it alone would prevent me from using these. Some protective material under the straps would work, but the pressure on the spoiler lip from the upper straps would be the straw that broke the Jaguar's back for me. No way I would use that on this vehicle.

I am a fan of roof racks, but as noted, this is a tall-ish vehicle. Unless you use a lightweight bike (mine is easy to hoist up there as long as I can swing the rear doors open to use as a step), I would go with a hitch (Curt for under $200 + install) and a good hitch-mounted rack.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Hey @bb mac ! Boy Oh' Boy , are YOU a *WORDY* little fella !!!;)
With all that talk of *Scientific Methods* and *Data* and *Crowdsource Interpretation* and *Troubleshooting Solutions* , I am going to assume you have received a *Higher Education* !!!
And for that , I commend you !!!:)
I am going to go ahead and *FRIEND* you again , but just so we are clear , it was the photo of the *BELGIAN MALINOIS* that sealed the deal !!! >:)

P.S. I did take notice of one peculiar thing ! You started this thread off by saying "I did a ton of research" , yet your diagram of the order in which to partake in this search for information , begins with *Ask a Question* ??? So , essentially you have failed this mission right out of the gate , because you didn't even follow your own system accordingly !!! Had you *Asked a Question* FIRST (like you were supposed to do) , then we wouldn't even be having this discussion , because we ALL would have told you in advance , *NOT TO ATTACH SUCH AN UNSIGHTLY CONTRAPTION ON YOUR F-PACE* , and you would've immediately went for the *Roof Rack* !!!0:)
Oh' well , SMART MOVE my *FRIEND* , on including the photo of that Gorgeous *MALI* !!!:D

Reactions: edjag and bb mac

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not sure what the purpose is for mounting the bike in this case (usually because you have a full car maybe?)
I just pop the front wheel off my bike and stick the bike in the trunk. I'd rather spend 15 minutes taking it off/putting it on to save $2000 of hitches/mounts/paint worry. I have the all weather mat (one of the protection packages) in the back and some beach towels for the back of the rear seats.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks TLockhart... I already have the Jag cross bars so I think Ill opt for the roof rack, step stool, and extra dollop of caution.
Ah, didn't realize you had the cross bars. So they fit both Thule and Yakima "T-slot" attachments, but afaict neither of those manufacturers have very many (or any??) models which are T-slot specific. I find their web sites confusing in this regard so read carefully. Or go to a dealer like REI and make them figure it out for you.
You can get the Whispbar bike attachments (Whispbar is now owned by Yakima) which are native T-slot units. The Whispbar wb200 units are nice and are what I have, carried over from my previous car. The only downside to a fork mount bike carrier is that you have to find a place for the front wheels in the car or with a separate wheel holder attachment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts