Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used one of those bike carriers that attach to the trunk withou a tow hitch? I ordered an F Pace without a hitch or roof rails and am looking for a way to transport 2 bikes.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't recommend one of those rear hatch carriers, they can cause damage to your car, because they touch the body work, and bikes swivel and move around on those things.
Just from looking at the rear hatch, I would think it would be difficult to install properly.
You really need to install a hitch, and get a proper carrier like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I don't recommend one of those rear hatch carriers, they can cause damage to your car, because they touch the body work, and bikes swivel and move around on those things.
Just from looking at the rear hatch, I would think it would be difficult to install properly.
NICE Setup , MTHM !!! What is that thing , the *Harley Davidson* of Mountain Bikes ??? >:)
AWESOME looking Carrier !!!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Who makes that carrier?
That looks just like my Thule. I only need a hitch onto F-Pace now to use it again!

MTHM, where do you ride that Bianchi? Nice bike.

Good size garage as well.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have the Yakima version of the same as MTHM. Great to use and we use it as a bike stand in the garage when not on one of the cars. Get a simple receiver and troll Craigslist for a good deal on the Thule or Yakima.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I will skip those. Does anyone know if two bikes (without three front tires) fit in the trunk with the seats folded? The car is a lease and I will maybe transport bikes 5 times in the 3 years that I own it. Don't want to spend the money but want to make sure that I can get them from A to B.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
That looks just like my Thule. I only need a hitch onto F-Pace now to use it again!

MTHM, where do you ride that Bianchi? Nice bike.

Good size garage as well.
Thanks, I ride wherever my buddies say we are going.:)
Normally ride in Jim Thorpe, State Parks, rails to trails, Canada with my son, you name it.
I'm slowing down a little since I hit my 70's?
I actually have 3 MTB's and a single speed fat tire (needed to buy a special carrier for the Fat Boy)?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Thanks, I ride wherever my buddies say we are going.:)
Normally ride in Jim Thorpe, State Parks, rails to trails, Canada with my son, you name it.
I'm slowing down a little since I hit my 70's?
I actually have 3 MTB's and a single speed fat tire (needed to buy a special carrier for the Fat Boy)?
Very cool that you are a mountain bike fan. We will have to ride somewhere in the coming months. I can meet you somewhere between where you live and me. I don't know if Green Lane Reservoir is within a half hour of you, but that is about a half hour from my house. They have some nice trails there. I'm not fast anymore either since I put on a few winter pounds, but between Ice Hockey, my MaxTrainer and Mountain Biking, I do my best to keep it off in the Spring and Summer. I do go riding in the winter but it becomes much more difficult around here due to the mud. I hate ripping up the trails so much, but it's also a beast to ride in mud when it's really slick.

Plus, I can't ride in mud until I do get a hitch on the F-Pace since my only way to get the bike to the trails now is in side the car. The mud would make a mess. That FatBoy single speed much be a blast to ride in the snow and mud though!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Very cool that you are a mountain bike fan. We will have to ride somewhere in the coming months. I can meet you somewhere between where you live and me. I don't know if Green Lane Reservoir is within a half hour of you, but that is about a half hour from my house. They have some nice trails there. I'm not fast anymore either since I put on a few winter pounds, but between Ice Hockey, my MaxTrainer and Mountain Biking, I do my best to keep it off in the Spring and Summer. I do go riding in the winter but it becomes much more difficult around here due to the mud. I hate ripping up the trails so much, but it's also a beast to ride in mud when it's really slick.

Plus, I can't ride in mud until I do get a hitch on the F-Pace since my only way to get the bike to the trails now is in side the car. The mud would make a mess. That FatBoy single speed much be a blast to ride in the snow and mud though!
I have ridden Green Lane many times. It's about an hour south of me. We will have to talk about it at the meet and greet :)
I only use the Fat Boy for rails to trails, and on the beach. It is just a cheapie, so it is not a lightweight :(

Regarding bike carriers, I tried many over the years, and settled on the Thule hitch mount system. I have been very happy with it. I also have the extra 2 bike add on, so if necessary I can handle 4 off the back.:D

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Yes I love my Thule as well. I think we have the same one, but I don't have the two additional bike add-on. However, I have used mine to carry 3 bikes from time to time when my boys and I ride together. I can easily fit another bike in-between the two with some judicious use of bungees.

By the way, I have two Rocky Mountain MTBs, a Slayer and Element, both full suspension and outfitted with XTR gear, but from the early 2000s. I also have a Trek 8000 Hardtail with late 1990s era XTR and a Schwin full suspension with some really old XTR and XT stuff on it.

Definitely can do some planning for riding at Green Lane during the early spring meeting.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
"Off Topic" from the "Bike Carrier" , but when we were vacationing in the RV up in Bar Harbor, Maine back in the '90s , we crossed over into New Hampshire for a spell ! We were right in the middle of the *White Mountains* , and there were some "Mountain Bikers" that put there Bikes on the Ski-Lifts , and then rode their Bikes down the Slopes ! Since it was Summer Time and there was NO Snow !!! That was pretty Cool to watch !
A Great way for the Ski Resorts to make a little money in the Off-Season !

We went on the *Cog Railway* , which was a Train that to you rode up the Mountain Side in , at a *37%* Grade ! You could lean over on the way up , and come close to being parallel with the floor without falling over ! At the Bottom of the Mountain , we were in T-Shirts , but at the Top of the Mountain , we were Bundled Up in Winter Coats and Above the Clouds ! THAT was a pretty Cool experience !

P.S. To get back "On Topic" ! I was wondering if any Hitch Companies just offered some type of a Hitch Mount for the back of vehicles , that is just enough for hauling Bikes and Such , and not necessarily Heavy Duty enough for "Towing" ??? That way you wouldn't have to worry about "HD engine cooler" or all the "Wiring" ??? I have seen some small vehicles that just have like a *1" receiver* ! Just curious !

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
P.S. To get back "On Topic" ! I was wondering if any Hitch Companies just offered some type of a Hitch Mount for the back of vehicles , that is just enough for hauling Bikes and Such , and not necessarily Heavy Duty enough for "Towing" ??? That way you wouldn't have to worry about "HD engine cooler" or all the "Wiring" ??? I have seen some small vehicles that just have like a *1" receiver* ! Just curious !
Yes, there are a few out there that just offer a hitch without everything else that goes with it.
Curt, U haul, etc.
You can get them in 1"and 2".
You do need a pretty substantial hitch however, due to the loads applied by the carrier and the bikes hanging off the back.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love the stickers on the bike rack. Get out and enjoy life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really wish when my wife built hers. Should would have added the Hitch. The value like the full size spare would have been worth it. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I prefer these types of racks that can fold down so you can access the rear hatch.
I've done quite a bit of bike hauling and much prefer roof-mount or rear tray-mount bike racks. I've had bike damage using the hanging racks including frame scratches and wheel spoke blowouts.
fwiw the frame scratches came even when using a Yakima top-tube adapter (still hard to control the bike from bouncing up and down) and the blown out wheel came from being hit by a huge cross-wind gust while on the freeway (the car jumped a half lane over and I noticed the damage later).
I've got Whispbar carriers for the roof (compatible with the Jag roof rack) and plan to get the Kuat Sherpa hitch mount (aluminum and substantially lighter than most hitch mount carriers). Folks like their Thule and Yakima hitch mounts also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've done quite a bit of bike hauling and much prefer roof-mount or rear tray-mount bike racks. I've had bike damage using the hanging racks including frame scratches and wheel spoke blowouts.
fwiw the frame scratches came even when using a Yakima top-tube adapter (still hard to control the bike from bouncing up and down) and the blown out wheel came from being hit by a huge cross-wind gust while on the freeway (the car jumped a half lane over and I noticed the damage later).
I've got Whispbar carriers for the roof (compatible with the Jag roof rack) and plan to get the Kuat Sherpa hitch mount (aluminum and substantially lighter than most hitch mount carriers). Folks like their Thule and Yakima hitch mounts also.
Yup, the tray mounts definitely are more secure, especially when carrying multiple bikes. But with one bike and doing errands on the way home, having access to the hatch trumps it...Never heard of Kuat. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
+1 for the Kuat that and the OneUp are really head and shoulders the two best tray racks out there. Speaking as a full on bike geek. The Kuat folds out of the way and allows hatch access.

Reactions: TLockhart
1 - 20 of 38 Posts