Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after sitting outside in sun for a couple hours I entered the F pace, turned on air and waited a minute or 2 then tried to select gear and was burned (2nd degree = blisters) by the selector. With the a/c on max it took at least 5 minutes before selector was cool enough not to cause additional burns but still pretty hot. :eek:

Reactions: SpareTire

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
Wow hope you are OK. Where were you that the temperature was over 110 F this time of year?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Wow. Sun had to be perfectly baking the gear puck for it go get that hot. Don't pop the blister as it will take longer to heal, hope your okay.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm used to burns so I'll survive, thanks. In California outside temp was only 100 but it was sitting outside at high noon so inside temp was obviously higher. Just wanted to put the warning out for anyone with children, elderly, heat sensitive friends or family ot pets that may come in contact with the area on a hot day

Reactions: MKenM and GRVR

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm used to burns so I'll survive, thanks. In California outside temp was only 100 but it was sitting outside at high noon so inside temp was obviously higher. Just wanted to put the warning out for anyone with children, elderly, heat sensitive friends or family ot pets that may come in contact with the area on a hot day
THis is very useful info for those of us who live in places that regularly hit triple digits! It's reinforcing the need for ceramic window tinting to cut down on inside temps as well!

Reactions: jmk and Cat Lady

·
Registered
589 Posts
... then tried to select gear and was burned (2nd degree = blisters) by the selector...
OK, that's hot. I'm in SoCal too and have noticed the selector being very hot once (not today), with direct sun and the overhead sunshade not drawn (that is, with just the glass of the moon roof overhead). The car stays *much* cooler if that sunshade is closed when parked.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, that's hot. I'm in SoCal too and have noticed the selector being very hot once (not today), with direct sun and the overhead sunshade not drawn (that is, with just the glass of the moon roof overhead). The car stays *much* cooler if that sunshade is closed when parked.
sunshade was closed :|

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
521 Posts
Interesting, since I noticed that the difference between the gear selector in my Evoque vs. F Pace is the rubber around the outside of the F Pace knob. I guess that rubber doesn't help with the heat. It does feel nice though!

·
Registered
337 Posts
How is even possible for the sides to get hot, since the selector is not in the "up" position unless the car is on? I get that the top would be hot, but the sides? They're recessed/retracted. Are you sure there isn't an internal short (or something) that would make it so hot?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, since I noticed that the difference between the gear selector in my Evoque vs. F Pace is the rubber around the outside of the F Pace knob. I guess that rubber doesn't help with the heat. It does feel nice though!
How is even possible for the sides to get hot, since the selector is not in the "up" position unless the car is on? I get that the top would be hot, but the sides? They're recessed/retracted. Are you sure there isn't an internal short (or something) that would make it so hot?
the silver ring around the piano black circle is what caused the burn. I use my finger tips to rotate knob so as I grabbed the ring with my finger tips the melting of flesh began :| I did check temp on lower area of know with the grooves and it was pretty hot as well but would not have caused burn (I don't think). photo credit goes to car writer web page

Attachments

Reactions: bpmba

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will be preventing this issue by storing an oven mitt in my glove box all summer. I found one that matches my interior perfectly!
:laugh: a sun shade for windscreen would probably work too :D but since the '04 VDP is now parked most of the time I had put mine in her last weekend :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Covercraft UVS100 sunshade is really nice. In the F-Pace size it is a little bulky though. But as far as dealing with hot spots inside a vehicle, I typically keep a small microfiber towel in the vehicle. In the F-Pace we jus leave it on top of the console. Great for wiping away any fingerprints, etc.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I forwarded this info to my chauffeur and he replied with the picture attached "Don't worry, boss! I am ready"

P.S. On less serious note - thank you for the warning!

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
the silver ring around the piano black circle is what caused the burn. I use my finger tips to rotate knob so as I grabbed the ring with my finger tips the melting of flesh began :| I did check temp on lower area of know with the grooves and it was pretty hot as well but would not have caused burn (I don't think). photo credit goes to car writer web page
How do you keep all the reflective surfaces so nice and clean and free from fingerprints and dust??

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Got any pictures of your burned fingers?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts