Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are looking to buy either the F-Pace R-Sport (used, 7K miles) and Macan S (new, cannot find used one with the options we like). We test drove both, I do not know if I could tell a big difference.

I think the biggest concern we have with the F Pace is the width of the car - do people have more trouble parking it in Garages. We live in Northern VA and I park in a garage each day. Another question is - how is the reliability of the car?

The biggest concern we have with the Macan is, well, how much more expensive it is.

I realize this has probably been discussed ad nauseam, but any fresh thoughts on this...

·
Registered
108 Posts
We are looking to buy either the F-Pace R-Sport (used, 7K miles) and Macan S (new, cannot find used one with the options we like). We test drove both, I do not know if I could tell a big difference.

I think the biggest concern we have with the F Pace is the width of the car - do people have more trouble parking it in Garages. We live in Northern VA and I park in a garage each day. Another question is - how is the reliability of the car?

The biggest concern we have with the Macan is, well, how much more expensive it is.

I realize this has probably been discussed ad nauseam, but any fresh thoughts on this...
The thread above may cover this, but with the 360 camera and other cameras on the F-Pace, parking is relatively easy. (I also live in NOVA and deal with tight parking)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have no issues parking the FPace anywhere, except trying to keep it away from hammerheads that don't know how to drive/park :p. I live in the metro Boston area and have never had an issue. It just seems wider when you first drive it, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I park next to my colleagues Macan S all the time, and the differences are subtle.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thread above may cover this, but with the 360 camera and other cameras on the F-Pace, parking is relatively easy. (I also live in NOVA and deal with tight parking)

Thank you. I think maybe it is more of a getting used to it thing. I have twice made a mistake while parking and had to get some repairs on my FX35, so that is why I am a little nervous. I think with the surround view camera, the mistakes would be minimized, plus I am more patient now than I was 5 years ago.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Thank you. I think maybe it is more of a getting used to it thing. I have twice made a mistake while parking and had to get some repairs on my FX35, so that is why I am a little nervous. I think with the surround view camera, the mistakes would be minimized, plus I am more patient now than I was 5 years ago.
With the 360-degree camera, backup camera, audible parking sensors, and mirror dip, if you crash while parking, you really shouldn't be driving. I'm just being honest. You will get used to the car's width quickly.

As far as the Macan...if image or appearance is important to you, just don't do it. For fear of starting WWIII on here, I won't elaborate.

·
Super Moderator
1,546 Posts
With the 360-degree camera, backup camera, audible parking sensors, and mirror dip, if you crash while parking, you really shouldn't be driving. I'm just being honest. You will get used to the car's width quickly.

As far as the Macan...if image or appearance is important to you, just don't do it. For fear of starting WWIII on here, I won't elaborate.
If you’ve crashed multiple times while parking even without those assistance features, it’s probably time to turn in that license.

Unfortunately, sometimes in the Jag you have to be prepared for those assistance features to NOT be available (buggy infotainment).

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The F Pace has a park itself feature. Something to think about.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
In 2017 , that feature was only available as part of the optional *Driver Assistance Package* !
And that Package was only optional , on the R-Sport or the S !

·
Registered
332 Posts
Same choice when I purchased 21/2 years ago. Made the right choice with the F Pace. Macan has a miniscule back seat and hatch area. To me the Macan looks dated while the F Pace has a design that I think will be a classic many years from now and at the moment is still one of not the nicest styled SUV on the market at least in my opinion.

Also did not like the Macan centre console which gives you a race car cockpit feel but not comfortable to rest your right arm during every day driving.

Prefer the interior of the F Pace with the digital dash and modern look as opposed to the Porche traditional look.

Price when both new was about 15K more for the equivalent equipped Macan.

Not as many F Paces on the road so it is more exclusive. Depends if you are a leader/innovator or a follower.

And those are the reasons I purchased the F Pace and I still think I made the right decision.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I attempted to use the park "feature" my cat backed itself right into a Nissan leaf....not that I can blame it...they are ugly. Will never consider using it again, about 2k in repairs for both vehicles.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
When I attempted to use the park "feature" my cat backed itself right into a Nissan leaf....not that I can blame it...they are ugly. Will never consider using it again, about 2k in repairs for both vehicles.
I'm pretty sure the *Driver* has the capabilities to apply the Brakes at any time !!!;)
So , I'm not so sure I would blame the F-PACE for that one !!!>:)

I believe the *Park Assist* controls the STEERING , while making a parking maneuver !!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm pretty sure the *Driver* has the capabilities to apply the Brakes at any time !!!;)
So , I'm not so sure I would blame the F-PACE for that one !!!>:)

I believe the *Park Assist* controls the STEERING , while making a parking maneuver !!!
That is correct, however, it "Steered" me directly into the Nissan. And although I had my foot on the brake, I and my friend felt an acceleration just before impact. Explained it to my dealership, but at the end of the day it is "park assist" and the fault is mine.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have park assist but have never used it. I keep telling myself to try it in a parking lot that is not too busy at the end of a row. It was demonstrated to me when I received delivery and that the vehicle manoeuvred itself into a very tight spot flawlessly.

I do find the surround cameras, parking aid system and warning system very accurate and rely on it when I park in a lot which is every business day. If I have a rental without all the safety features including surround cameras etc. I really miss them. All these features are going to become standard equipment in all vehicles in the next few years and they should. Safety is not a luxury item.

·
Registered
947 Posts
This car was released to the public with, in many cases, dysfunctional CD players and air conditioning (technology from decades ago). The last thing I'd do would be trust the car to park without ramming into something!

·
Registered
108 Posts
This car was released to the public with, in many cases, dysfunctional CD players and air conditioning (technology from decades ago). The last thing I'd do would be trust the car to park without ramming into something!
I agree, was really just testing it because it was a new toy, had no plans of letting it finish perpendicular park. What got me was the sudden acceleration...had the jag for three days when it happened....not a good day

·
Registered
947 Posts
I agree, was really just testing it because it was a new toy, had no plans of letting it finish perpendicular park. What got me was the sudden acceleration...had the jag for three days when it happened....not a good day
I understand. I tried to test mine when I got it but it never recognized any open parking spaces so I just assumed it didn't work. Sorry to hear about the collision though. I hope there were no injuries. You may want to report the sudden acceleration to Jaguar corporate - that sounds like a possible safety issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts

FYI, If you can wait for new 2019 Macan, it will beat F-Pace's interior by a mile with its new extensive design!

·
Super Moderator
1,546 Posts
FYI, If you can wait for new 2019 Macan, it will beat F-Pace's interior by a mile with its new extensive design!
What? I mean, the Macan already beats out the quality of the F Pace in terms of interior materials. But the Macan redesign literally changed about 2 things on the interior...a bigger screen and....oh wait I think that's it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts