Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate enough (or unfortunate depending how you look at it) to be able test my Automatic Emergency Braking in a real world situation and it worked flawlessly.

In my 40 years of driving and I have never caused an accident. I been involved in total of 2 accidents (hit by a car that ran a red light and by a car who rear ended me while I was stopped at red light). But just the other day, I was driving on the Freeways of So Cal in stop and go traffic when I got a text and just glanced at my phone for a split second to see who it was (very stupid I know) and that is when it happened. My F-Pace began violently shaking and an alarm went off which left me a bit disoriented to what was transpiring. It all happened in mere second so I assumed I had been hit or I had hit someone else. When got reoriented and refocused, everything was just fine. No harm, no foul. It was my AEB that saved my butt. The severe shaking was the brakes being applied in a pulsating fashion just like it is supposed to do to avoid skidding and hitting the car in front of me. The alarm sounded to let me know I was an idiot and that this vehicle can be smarter than me.

Lesson learned and very grateful I have AEB on my F-Pace.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I don't have any of those safety features on mine..

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Thank you for trying this experiment in order to prove that the AEB does work ;)! Very good to know

Reactions: OneTwo and Gorgon

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Glad everything worked out and there was no accident. Did the F-Pace bring itself to a complete stop? Or did it brake enough to stop you from hitting a slower moving car and just slow itself down?

While we hope that we never have to rely on these safety features I, for one, am glad to hear a positive experience about them working as intended.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad everything worked out and there was no accident. Did the F-Pace bring itself to a complete stop? Or did it brake enough to stop you from hitting a slower moving car and just slow itself down?

While we hope that we never have to rely on these safety features I, for one, am glad to hear a positive experience about them working as intended.
It brought me to a complete stop. But is was literally 1-2 seconds and the car ahead of me was stopped as well so I'm not sure if it would have released the brake if the traffic was clear ahead of me. I assume it wouldn't go anywhere until I got my foot on the brake and took over again.

Reactions: Gorgon

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Lesson learned
Hey ron1764 , IMO these are the most important words you said !
It speaks very highly of you , for sharing this story with us !

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I'm glad it worked as designed and everyone was ok in the long run. It really does only take a split second to miss something when going 30 to 60 miles an hour. it is nice to have this feature available to drivers, I believe it should be required on every vehicle.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
For 2018 models:
AEB is standard on Portfolio, R-Sport and S trims.
Part of Vision Package on Premium and Prestige trim.
Interesting. Looks like this changes for 2018. Sorry for all the edits, been playing with the configurator.

For 2017:
AEB is standard on R-Sport and S trims only.
Not part of any package for any other trim that I could find.

For 2018 models:
AEB is standard on Portfolio, R-Sport and S trims.
Part of Vision Package on Premium and Prestige trim.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah, was not aware of it in the 17 models. Glad it worked though and that you are safe.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't have any of those safety features on mine..
I am glad I waited for the 2018 model for this, as part of the assistance package. I can't see spending over $65k on a vehicle that does not have the basic safety systems that come standard on most new cars half the price. Automatic braking, lane departure, and collision sensors for parking should be standard on this vehicle without the $3,200+ add-on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am glad I waited for the 2018 model for this, as part of the assistance package. I can't see spending over $65k on a vehicle that does not have the basic safety systems that come standard on most new cars half the price. Automatic braking, lane departure, and collision sensors for parking should be standard on this vehicle without the $3,200+ add-on.
I couldn't agree more! I traded in a 4-year old Jeep SRT that had all of these safety features, and assumed the Jaguar would surely have them as standard equipment. Wrong!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
It brought me to a complete stop. But is was literally 1-2 seconds and the car ahead of me was stopped as well so I'm not sure if it would have released the brake if the traffic was clear ahead of me. I assume it wouldn't go anywhere until I got my foot on the brake and took over again.
according to what I have read to override the AEB you need to turn the wheel or press accelerator. Glad you were the one to try it out and not me ;) also glad to know it works

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I couldn't agree more! I traded in a 4-year old Jeep SRT that had all of these safety features, and assumed the Jaguar would surely have them as standard equipment. Wrong!
same here, I traded a '15 GMC, which for half the price, had all the bells and whistles..Including an audio Mute button on the steering wheel..:|

Reactions: NVA_FPACE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts