Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's one little thing that I worry about... Does anyone know anything about the auto start/stop function as listed on brochure page 56? I drove a loaner BMW that had this and I hated it. It's freaky when the car suddenly dies when you come to a light and you feel like you're going to have to call for roadside assistance every time you come to a stop. I talked a BMW freak friend of mine and he said many BMW owners hated that feature but he thought you could turn it off (on the Beemers)... On the F-Pace, I sure hope that's the case. If not, I sure hope it's not as apparent as the BMW, which was very apparent that it turns itself on and off, and very annoying. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
All of the cars I test drove (BMW, Mercedes, etc.) that had that feature also had a way to turn it off. So, I would assume that the F-Pace will be setup the same way. But, that is just my assumption.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think there's a button on the center bottom console that you press to turn it off for the duration of the drive in range rovers.Maybe something similar is in the Jaguar F-Pace?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the feature on my BMW. It does not bother me. It can be turned off. i have a 2013, just drove a new loaner car, you hardly notice the engine turning on and off on the newer one. The technology has greatly improved.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Below the gear shift knob, right hand side. Button with an A and a circle around it - push that and it turns the feature off. You can see it in some of the interior photos if you zoom in a bit.

All cars with the auto start / stop feature have the ability to disable it - however it is temporary. You have to turn it off each time you start the car.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Below the gear shift knob, right hand side. Button with an A and a circle around it - push that and it turns the feature off. You can see it in some of the interior photos if you zoom in a bit.

All cars with the auto start / stop feature have the ability to disable it - however it is temporary. You have to turn it off each time you start the car.

As long as I can turn it off. If not, that is definitely a deal-breaker for me. I'll have to slink off to Porsche and get their Macan GTS.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whew...

Thanks for the posts. One would think you could turn it off... so your posts make me feel better about it.

I would think that having this feature would sure make for premature starter wear.... That's the one of the greatest features of electric cars..when you're sitting in a traffic jam, you're not using any current, other than running the highly efficient LED headlamps and radio. Unless it's cold and you have to use the heater. Most electric car guys will switch to wearing gloves and seat heaters though to save considerable battery power. :nerd:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't think the auto stop and start will wear out the starter any more than normal. I assume they were designed with heavy use in mind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Might depend on how the starter was built, so in time we may see some starters that fail and some that don't show any problems at all.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please don't stop!

So, while reading through some $120,000 XJR LWB reviews (on the Jag website), here is what one guy says about his XJR:

★★★★★ ★★★★★ 5 out of 5 stars. Sammy123

· a month ago

Fantastic car looks great

Great car great everything one thing wrong is the auto shut off every time you come for red light and you can't override it they should put a stop to that if you buy a jaguar I'm not worried about saving a couple of pennies

So, that sure makes me wonder. Not a deal killer but that IS a feature I DON'T want... Does anyone have the time to send the emails to whomever and find out if this is indeed something that can't be turned off? :(
Got a feeling my dealer isn't going to know...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drove an XF with the 3.0D engine. Start/Stop wasn't annoying at all. just bought F-Pace 1st edition 3.0D in black :)
I am contemplating an order for a 3.0D F-Pace but don't have the new XF here in Australia yet, to see/hear 1st hand what that engine is like. Just to digress for a moment can you please tell me what the 221Kw diesel runs like. Is it smooth and quite like the Audi 3.0D or more old school diesel noisy?

·
Registered
49 Posts
That should be the case with the F-Pace considering who it targets which I would imagine will be on the road far more often than those in the F-Types. Ever since it got colder i've been noticing more F-Types collecting dust, F-Paces won't see that.

Probably escaped to Florida with stop-over in Belize ;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good news for those concerned on the Auto Stop/Start - I have it on my F-Type and it drove me mad. Yes, you can switch it off but you need to remember to do this every time you start the vehicle or the engine stops at the first full stop. Now for that good news - there are some clever folk out there and it wasn't long before someone on the F-Type forum came up with which wire to disconnect to disable the Auto Stop/Start function. It's a simple quick-disconnect in a compartment in the trunk, takes less than a minute to accomplish. On start-up the Eco switch lights up as if it's functional and then about 15 seconds later the light extinguishes and you hear no more from the Eco function.

I have every confidence we'll have the same facility on the F-Pace.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's been 4 months since I posted the question about the auto/start stop. I was so freaked out about it because I hated it so much in the BMW328 I drove.

I have to turn the loaner X3 back in today. I played with the auto/start stop. I will have to admit it's 100 times better in this 2016 X3 than it was in the 328. You barely notice it. I applaud BMW for making it so much better.

If the FPace comes with this feature (and it's as quiet and un-annoying) , and it can defeated and enabled at will, then I welcome it for those long lines at the coffee drive-thrus.

The X3 was okay. It did drive nice and was one of the quietest cars I've driven. Not a fan, but it was okay. Very good sensor display onscreen with the ultrasonics. If you leave it in "Sports" mode, it's so much better. And I confirmed via 3 hr drive each way to the beach, I actually got BETTER gas mileage in Sports mode versus "Granny" mode. I never did try "Eco" mode, I don't think I'd have the patience for that. Mileage was only 21-22 mpg, not that good with 80% highway driving.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.