Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regret so much for not getting the upgraded 850W sound system. The standard sound system is just not enough for me. :( I listen to music a lot and I'm just wondering if it is possible for us to upgrade the sound system with after market sound system? Or maybe add in a more powerful subwoofer? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I have never done audio system upgrade. :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
You will not want to "mess" with the existing audio as going "under the dash" and changing electronics could well screw things up especially if you are not familiar with what you would be doing. Even hiring a "expert" like some car audio business can be risky with new systems as they likely also "have no clue" and would essentially be learning on your car... further exposing you to more risks.

The 825W system is part of the Technology Package which was a $3,200 option so it is one of the most expensive options. Your best bet is to simply approach your dealership and tell them that you want to see if you can trade out for another model with that option. Have you heard this system already in another F-Pace?

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
Lou not to scare you off but here is one of 30 some odd pages that shows you the audio system. It's more complicated and has more interconnections than are shown here.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I regret so much for not getting the upgraded 850W sound system. The standard sound system is just not enough for me. :( I listen to music a lot and I'm just wondering if it is possible for us to upgrade the sound system with after market sound system? Or maybe add in a more powerful subwoofer? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I have never done audio system upgrade. :(
Im sure if you take it to a (VERY) high end body shop they would have someone there that could install some after market speakers. Im not sure I would risk it, or want to spend as much money as its bound to cost... but its up to you.

Reactions: Lou Nguyen

·
Registered
163 Posts
Best option is to pull the door panels, install better horns, and add deadening to the to kill the plastic rattle. If you're into "THUMP!!!", a second sub with the powered amp of the wattage you desire will work. You may consider mounting in the tub by the battery under the spare tire:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will not want to "mess" with the existing audio as going "under the dash" and changing electronics could well screw things up especially if you are not familiar with what you would be doing. Even hiring a "expert" like some car audio business can be risky with new systems as they likely also "have no clue" and would essentially be learning on your car... further exposing you to more risks.

The 825W system is part of the Technology Package which was a $3,200 option so it is one of the most expensive options. Your best bet is to simply approach your dealership and tell them that you want to see if you can trade out for another model with that option. Have you heard this system already in another F-Pace?
Actually I have not experienced the 825W on the F-PACE that has it, but when I had mine in for the "suspension creak" service, they gave me a XF loaner car and it was so sad that the Meridian audio system in that loaner car blew me away. It was so so much better than the one in my F-PACE and I think it must have been an 825W because it was very powerful with deep bass with clean mids and highs. I was surprise how much better it was compared to mine. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lou not to scare you off but here is one of 30 some odd pages that shows you the audio system. It's more complicated and has more interconnections than are shown here.

Thanks Ken for the photo and after seeing your photo, I'm gonna stay away from messing with the audio system just for now. I hope maybe in the future there will be some upgrades make available for the F-Pace so that some of us who did not have the Technology Package can fulfil our desire for a better audio system. :crying:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im sure if you take it to a (VERY) high end body shop they would have someone there that could install some after market speakers. Im not sure I would risk it, or want to spend as much money as its bound to cost... but its up to you.
After seeing Mod Ken's photo of the audio system, I think that upgrading the audio system in our F-Paces is not easy and it's gonna take time for any manufacturers that want to make an audio system for our cars. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Best option is to pull the door panels, install better horns, and add deadening to the to kill the plastic rattle. If you're into "THUMP!!!", a second sub with the powered amp of the wattage you desire will work. You may consider mounting in the tub by the battery under the spare tire:
The "THUMP!" is exactly what I was looking for. Also as I mentioned above, the XF loaner that I got also have very clean mids and highs so I would also want that too! :( However, with the system being so complicated, I think I would hold off on tinkering with the audio system. But since you mentioned about adding a subwoofer, would you think it is easier and more possible to do?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Incorrect in nearly EVERY way. The "best solution" is to simply stay with the system as it was designed by the auto maker. Jaguar, Lexus, BMW & Mercedes spend hundred's of thousands of dollars on audio testing to obtain the "optimal/best" sound possible within the confines of the cabin of individual models. If you want a louder system, you will do far, FAR better to simply buy the 825watt version both money-wise as well as sound quality-wise.

On the other hand, if you think that THUMP, THUMP and volumes reaching live concert are actually a GOOD thing then... IMHO you are shoping in the wrong market. >:) Please do NOT add a "DISTORTION" box to these lovely vehicles

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Incorrect in nearly EVERY way. The "best solution" is to simply stay with the system as it was designed by the auto maker. Jaguar, Lexus, BMW & Mercedes spend hundred's of thousands of dollars on audio testing to obtain the "optimal/best" sound possible within the confines of the cabin of individual models. If you want a louder system, you will do far, FAR better to simply buy the 825watt version both money-wise as well as sound quality-wise.

On the other hand, if you think that THUMP, THUMP and volumes reaching live concert are actually a GOOD thing then... IMHO you are shoping in the wrong market. >:) Please do NOT add a "DISTORTION" box to these lovely vehicles
I would say its more in the tens of millions they spend to perfect audio for their cars. I do agree though, just stick with what you got.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I have the 825 watt system and it is nice and clear but after years of competing with IASCA, USAC, GASCA, and NIASCA in sound quality, I have to agree that it certainly lacks bottom end as well as midrange. Why there is no adjustment for the mid is mind boggling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the 825 watt system too and it is pretty impressive. Agree with the lack of midrange and I also have an annoying vibration from the door plastic at certain frequencies. I'll have my dealer look at it at the next service. I listen to everything from Mozart to heavy metal and for a factory system it's worth the extra money imho.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
163 Posts

Lou Nguyen asked
Your response: Do Nothing and live with the lower spec system that he finds lacking?...O.K.

While I agree with you that Meridian did "tailor" the sound system to the interior, they also had to meet cost targets which ALWAYS results in compromises.

I chose to directly answer Mr. Nguyen question by offering a few relatively inexpensive options.

Installing sound deadening in the cavities behing the door panels is relatively cheap and will enhance the sound of every F-Pace even if one does not upgrade the speakers. Other Forum Members have noticed annoying rattles from the door panels while playing "bassy" music. The hardest chore for the novice is removing/re-mounting the door panels: use a pro.

I have replaced several "tailored" OEM speakers that were blown or not up to the job. Choose speakers that fit the space available, match impedance, securely mount with isolators and attach the two wires from the old speaker: cost for two speakers on my MDX was about $250.00 installed. YMMV.

As for adding a powered amp/sub-woofer: some people, including Mr. Nguyen like the "THUMP!!!" that you seem to distain. A separately powered amp would just tap the battery with its own fused power line: no tie to the onboard info-tainment except splitting the audio ouput leads. The main issue with the sub would be the mounting location and power drain from the amp (alternator/battery issues).

For many, "Hacking" devices is a hobby that gives joy and offers unique personalization: Let It Be!

Reactions: cbrehman

·
Registered
163 Posts
The "THUMP!" is exactly what I was looking for. Also as I mentioned above, the XF loaner that I got also have very clean mids and highs so I would also want that too! :( However, with the system being so complicated, I think I would hold off on tinkering with the audio system. But since you mentioned about adding a subwoofer, would you think it is easier and more possible to do?
Mr. Nguyen: I suggest you find a decent car audio shop, they can give you options and solve your tech issues. You will also be able to preview a few speakers' sound spectrum . The suggestions I supplied are minimally intrusive, should have almost no impact upon the OEM info-tainment system AND tailor the sound more to your liking.

I don't know if Jag upgrades the alternator for the 850 Watt unit. Check with the service department. If they do not, then your alternator has the headroom for a decent subwoofer amp.

I showed my audio shop the cavity under the spare tire and they thought an amp there would have easy access to the battery as it is in the same cavity. They were talking of a surface mounted sub. somewhere in the rear compartment (not ideal, but...). I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet as I'm still getting used to the 850's sound. The side panel deadening is on my "to do"list.

Good luck sir!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Ken, I know I'm late to the party on this but looks like the link to the tech pages you posted have expired. Do you have a working link I can use? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If all goes well, should be picking up my F pace in the next 10-15 days.

The system on the car is the 300W watt pro model. I thought it would be 'enough' but I realised it wasn't when I heard it in a friends F Pace after ordering . Aside from not being 'enough' for my taste I too was disappointed with the front door panels rattling under certain musical conditions.

I already checked with a few high end car stereo shops in my area and finally found a shop that convinced me that an upgrade is quite easy. I would choose one who is accustomed to working on late model range rovers since there aren't many Fpaces around and the LR's basically have the same meridian system installed.

I'm curious to know your upgrades if you decide to go through with it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's not really hard to upgrade it just depends on how much you want to spend. Generally, in something like these you would run a JL Fix to remove the factory DSP settings and then pair it with your own DSP. That would run you about $800-1500 for the units. That will give you a basic signal to work with and from there whatever your budget allows for other gear, labor and materials.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts