Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the best audio source to use to get the best quality sound from the ICT/ICTP system? Sirius, CD. streaming(Spotify), some other?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've always found that Satellite is too compressed, chopping off the highs and lows. I also found the same thing with bluetooth. I really like using Spotify with the best quality, plugged directly in. Also, what's a CD? :confused:

I haven't used a CD in at least 6-10 years.

Reactions: Roadsterguy

·
Registered
66 Posts
I didn't order XM (maybe short-sighted), but I've been so disappointed with compression issues in my BMW. CD are a hassle, but I do like my music...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always found that Satellite is too compressed, chopping off the highs and lows. I also found the same thing with bluetooth. I really like using Spotify with the best quality, plugged directly in. Also, what's a CD? :confused:

So does Spotify come in through your phone?

·
Registered
95 Posts
So does Spotify come in through your phone?
I think I understand your question.. yes, spotify is being played using the phone, using the phone's data connection. Using the ITCP Spotify APP you can control Spotify, but the connection is through your phone. You can modify the quality of the streaming from your spotify app on your phone, I have unlimited data, so I of course set my streaming and download quality at "EXTREME".

Dave

·
Registered
225 Posts
I thought I read that using the SD card is probably the best way to get excellent music. I know with my Amazon Music, I plug into the USB port with my iPhone and can vary the quality of the music through the app.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So what is the best audio source to use to get the best quality sound from the ICT/ICTP system? Sirius, CD. streaming(Spotify), some other?
First, I don't have my FP yet, so I can't speak to the quality of the connections and data rates for each connection method. In general, I think all of the physical connection methods should be close to the same. Bluetooth, satellite, or anything wireless will depend on the quality of the signal you're getting between your car and the source. Bluetooth is range- and bandwidth-limited. Satellite bandwidth is expensive, so Sirius will want to compress their stream down as much as they can while still delivering sound that the average customer finds acceptable. Cellular is limited by bandwidth for the signal you're able to get at any given moment, and you have to worry about data caps.

The real limitation is going to be the quality of the recording itself. IANA sound engineer, so I can't get too far into this without shooting myself in the foot. :) But going from the original sound recording to some kind of digital medium, you're going to process the recording to get it into a digital format (e.g. MP3 or whatever) and use some kind of compression on it. This process is what really affects the quality of what you end up listening to. A high bitrate, lossless compression scheme is going to result in much higher sound quality, with the tradeoff being that the resulting file will be much larger than a low bitrate, highly-compressed version of the same thing. You can get 500 MP3 songs on a CD if you crank up the compression, but it'll sound like 50-year-old AM radio. :)

For a given audio file though, it should sound the same whether it's playing from your iPhone, a thumb drive, an SD card, or a CD.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I was asking about Spotify is that they have the Extreme setting which I think is 320Kbps which I believe is pretty high quality. I was wondering if streaming through your phone would lessen the signal. Based on BostonJaguar's response above I'm thinking the 320Kbps signal could be sourced to the ICTP. Other than CD this may be the best audio source.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Try .flac files on a thumb drive. Same lossless audit as CD without the hassle.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
HD CDs and DVD Audio CDs will play in the F-Pace somewhat. I've had issue with some of those DVDs/CDs I've had since the early 2000 playing in the F-Pace, but the majority of them do play. Those are essentially lossless recordings I would believe and they do sound outstanding.

Reactions: normanye1

·
Registered
390 Posts
HD CDs and DVD Audio CDs will play in the F-Pace somewhat. I've had issue with some of those DVDs/CDs I've had since the early 2000 playing in the F-Pace, but the majority of them do play. Those are essentially lossless recordings I would believe and they do sound outstanding.
Undamaged Redbook CD's should play without issue in the CD player no matter their age.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

Hey *CD HATER* ! I'm sure in a few years , you will be going around saying "What's a Spotify ? I haven't used one of those in years" !!! >:)

Reactions: BostonJaguar

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
CD as stated prior as just about every other source has compression in the audio. I don't have one try, and if it worked, DVD-Audio discs are amazing. My Acura TL came with a DVD-Audio demo disc where the music was digitally mixed for 5.1 audio and it sounded fantastic. Should have kept that disc when I sold the car.

All that said, I'm underwhelmed by the sound quality of the Meridian sound system listening to HD radio sources.

·
Registered
390 Posts
CD as stated prior as just about every other source has compression in the audio. I don't have one try, and if it worked, DVD-Audio discs are amazing. My Acura TL came with a DVD-Audio demo disc where the music was digitally mixed for 5.1 audio and it sounded fantastic. Should have kept that disc when I sold the car.

All that said, I'm underwhelmed by the sound quality of the Meridian sound system listening to HD radio sources.
HD radio does not mean high-def radio, rather, hybrid-digital. It confuses many a listener.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i have had my F-Pace for a little over a week now and i have mainly been listening to music through Sirius or downloaded on my phone. I have the ICTP. Today i downloaded Spotify and signed up for the Premium free trial. I set the stream for extreme and listened to some music and what a difference in sound quality. For those who have not been happy with their Meridian system I would suggest trying Spotify. Would be interested in other's feedback.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well i have had my F-Pace for a little over a week now and i have mainly been listening to music through Sirius or downloaded on my phone. I have the ICTP. Today i downloaded Spotify and signed up for the Premium free trial. I set the stream for extreme and listened to some music and what a difference in sound quality. For those who have not been happy with their Meridian system I would suggest trying Spotify. Would be interested in other's feedback.
The extreme quality should be great compared to the compression of satellite radio. However, this will crush your data plan on your phone. Something to keep an eye on so you don't get any surprise overages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Find an iPod Classic on ebay with an upgraded SSD, preferably one of the models that had the Wolfson DAC (the 5.5 gen is your best bet, just search for IPOD 5.5 SSD). Then rip your CDs in some lossless format like Apple's ALAC. That way, you can take your tunes with you, and move them to your next car when you sell this one.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Find an iPod Classic on ebay with an upgraded SSD, preferably one of the models that had the Wolfson DAC (the 5.5 gen is your best bet, just search for IPOD 5.5 SSD). Then rip your CDs in some lossless format like Apple's ALAC. That way, you can take your tunes with you, and move them to your next car when you sell this one.
Can you only rip CD's? How about downloading music. Is it possible to download from iTunes in the lossless format?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts